Sign in to follow this  
Ikeprof

Definition of Sniper Protection

Curious as to what the formal definition of that is, as I cannot find it on this site anywhere.

Other online auction sites have a meaning for it, but it's obvious that does not apply here.

Sniper protection; 

Say I put 1 hour sniper protection.  my auction ends at 8:05.  A guy placed a bid at 8:03....... so then the auction will last till 9:03.   Then another guy places a bid at 8:47.......so it will then last till 9:47. Ect

it just extends the period by X amount of time, if a person bids within that time from the end.

Sniper protection; 

Say I put 1 hour sniper protection.  my auction ends at 8:05.  A guy placed a bid at 8:03....... so then the auction will last till 9:03.   Then another guy places a bid at 8:47.......so it will then last till 9:47. Ect

it just extends the period by X amount of time, if a person bids within that time from the end.

Ok, that's the same as what i had read other places too.

So basically as long as there is active bidding, the close window continues to extend by one hour.

It's to stop people from jumping in an auction that stops at noon, with a bid at 11:59am and winning it. Gives others a chance to bid.

that make me realize I put sniper protection 1 hour but I declare winner in 30 minutes, tho it doesnt get respond till 1 hour.. :X 

It's all good.  I was way over my limit $$$ at this point anyhow.  But was concerned I didn't understand..  He's got a nice new shiny tower

It's all good.  I was way over my limit $$$ at this point anyhow.  But was concerned I didn't understand..  He's got a nice new shiny tower

I pmed you for possible compensation as you are actively bidding it. :X

We are good :)

Though maybe a forum sticky of common terms and conventions wouldn't be a bad idea just to avoid a situation for others that could prove difficult to resolve.

Still a happy customer Rosedragon.

We have seen some people use it as a period of no bidding before the end of the auction. Ie no bids allowed.

The timer extension makes more sense.

Yeah, I've always used it as an extension, never a no bidding allowed deal.

It can be whatever you set it as, not just 1 hour.

For example, on a highly skilled account with no buyout, it'd be reasonable to have a 12 or even 24 hour sniping rule to make sure that everyone has finished bidding before it ends - it'd be annoying to get sniped on something just because you have to leave for work etc.

Sniper protection; 

Thats how its mostly goes however i've seen some auction owners using it differently such as "if sniper protection is triggered, it will extent the auction one hour and one hour only (or whatever owner placed sniper prot. time) regardless of any further bidding or not."

So its more like depends on the owner of the action i guess. An auction owner should clarify the SP rules. If there is no extra information about sp in an auction, i 'd assume it goes like Druidnature explained "if sp is triggered, auction will end when last bid stays as last bid for an hour"

Also i'd like to clarify this, any bidder can trigger sniper protection regardless of he/she bidded before or not. And new bidders are allowed to join the auction during the sniper protection time as well.

Hope this answers any question you have, feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

"if sniper protection is triggered, it will extent the auction one hour and one hour only (or whatever owner placed sniper prot. time) regardless of any further bidding or not."

This is how i always thought it was meant to be not an extra hour for every bid placed. I guess you can set yourself up for another sniper at the end of that one though using this rule but hour after hour seems like a mess too.

I just try to put in buyouts that are "lucrative" to me and reasonable for the other party to want to just pay it rather than wait. You can force an extra 2-3s sometimes using this method but if you overprice the buyout then it does not work.  

• Like 1

This fits more into Community Assistance.

*Push* :P

"...but hour after hour seems like a mess too."

It's simple actually; after sniper protection is triggered, auction will end when the last bid stays as last bid for an hour (or whatever the sp duration is).

There are up and down sides on both of the systems tho:

Up side of Druid's way (yup its officially your way now druid :P ) is that auction will literally be protected from any snipers which is good for both auctinoeer and bidders. It will give bidders more chances to win the auction.

Down side of Druid's way is that depending on the demand (or how stubborn the bidders are) the auction theoretically can last forever :) or that also can cause the item ending up higher than its actual value (assuming there would be no buyout set)

Up side of Kegan's way is that auction will end at max an hour later than said time (or whatever auctioneer placed the sp).

Down side of Kegan's way is that even in sniper protection time, the item still can get sniped and that may cause the "it was over when he bidded" drama or "damn i would have bidded more if i had the chance/if i had more time"

Buyout is another thing tho. If a buyout price has been given by they auctioneer, even in Druid's way, if anyone reaches the buyout price while bidding he/she would win the auction. Any further bids would not count and auction would be over.

Down side of Druid's way is that depending on the demand (or how stubborn the bidders are) the auction theoretically can last forever :) or that also can cause the item ending up higher than its actual value (assuming there would be no buyout set)

That's an upside and the whole point of sniper protection. The seller gets the full value of the item if bidders are allowed to continue bidding until they hit the maximum they are willing to pay. They won't pay more than the "actual value" because the actual value is the maximum any of the bidders is willing to pay.

In that opinion there is no "over priced" item that is sold. I disagree on that but everyman has his own opinions and each one has to be respected ;)

Imo "the maximum they are willing to pay" for an item may and may not be the "actual value" (could be both, lower or higher) cuz it depends on a few things such as how many ppl want that item on that spesific time, bidders current currency, item ql, the item itself and its rarity, timing on the auction etc.

Isn't that what defines the actual value of anything?

Average or typical value is a better way to describe the 'estimated' worth, or what we call Price Check.

If you say so... Anyways im always putting my auctions as Druid mentioned. imo its better / safer.