Sign in to follow this  
nFox

Being griefed and the GM wants me to spend more money.

Hello.

Today i was being visited by a player im not gonna tell. (This is no vendetta)

He wanted to build a road to my place and i said no. He said i don´t own this place and he was asking me who owns the deed nearby. (It was preventing him building the road)

This is the chatlog:

Tbv57Pj.jpg

after that time he left and came back shorty and started to build a read about 4 tiles near my house...

So i called a GM.

4Tx0FX3.jpg

That means, i have to pay more money! For every griefer that comes nearby and wants to change YOUR/MY place like he wants to, he is allowed to do that and if your settlement isn´t 200 tiles wides to completely seal it off, you have no chance to protect your land. I have already paid already 32 Euros for a game and a place I can give up now... since he won´t stop changing the surroundings. Btw, that was a 1 day old noob character who was changing my place.

I could completely seal the place off with fences and walls but thats no solution. How would Xanadu look like with road blocks and sealed coasts where you can´t land with a boat to just explore the land or would you guys accept that? That´s my question... (im not talking about 20 tiles... it´s way more.)

It's not your land to protect if you don't have a deed on it unfortunately. The saying is: Deed it or Lose it. Just because you live in an area without a deed, doesn't mean the area belongs to you.

Edited by Shrimpiie
  • Like 8

Basically in order to protect land you have to deed it. Any non-deeded land can be modified by anyone. The reason its like this is because how else would the game decide who can and cannot do something in an area of land. If GMs had to decide this it would be an almost endless and impossible task.

• Like 1

Yeah but the solution is that i could make fences and walls. Thats also gonna protect the land.

Hue this old argument. Buy the land or forget about it.

It doesn't seem to matter how big the server, this type of in-game drama always seems to happen.

Most people are sensible and don't build near others, or ask politely beforehand. Just take a few minutes to find a better place.

For those that don't follow the accepted norms of behaviour, your only protection is to deed your land.

I have to say, if I followed your posting accurately you did seem to get aggressive rather early on in the conversation which pretty much made the other chap dig his heels in.

• Like 9

Somebody doing something differently than you would prefer is not griefing.  If the person was proposing to come and plop dirt all over your deed that might be grieifing. 

Queue 10 pages of hyperbolic and strawmen posts about grieifing and rules.

• Like 1

What they said. Only the land you have deeded is  yours, the rest is a free for all.

In that chat log you posted I must say you did come over as somewhat rude and judgmental, you might want to work on your diplomacy skills because responding like that will pretty much ensure that people will do exactly what you don't want them to do. It's seriously counter productive to respond like that ;)

He even asked if you were planning on expanding, which shows that he could likely have been convinced to move his road further away from your deed. Instead you pretty much outright attacked him verbally. If I had been in his shoes I'd also have put a road next to your deed after getting such a response. Seriously put some work in your diplomatic skills.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 5

I was pissed cause he already started to work on it... we had a talk before where the atmosphere wasn´t that "hot".

If you build fencing around the land, it can be bashed into without penalty as the enclosure rules were removed a little while ago. So the only way to make the land safe and your is to deed it.

Get yourself a private island and you don't have to worry about dealing with others..thats what i do. 

• Like 7

If you build fencing around the land, it can be bashed into without penalty as the enclosure rules were removed a little while ago. So the only way to make the land safe and your is to deed it.

I was about 200 days away from this game, but that is really interesting.

• Like 1

Also note that if they create it, and it is well traveled, it can be deemed a highway and modifying that or fencing it off can be considered griefing. 

Anyway +1 deed it or lose it. Just because you don't like it, does not mean it will not be appreciated by other players. 

Yeah but the solution is that i could make fences and walls. Thats also gonna protect the land.

And the solution for your undeeded walls and fences are catapults and large mauls. There are no enclosure rules anymore. 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 2

What everyone else said, if you didn't pay for those tiles, he has just as much right to them as you do, sort it out among yourselves, live with it, or move.

Maybe move to Chaos?

• Like 1

Get yourself a private island and you don't have to worry about dealing with others..thats what i do.

Tell me how that works out when I come nearby with 200k dirt and expand your island :P mwahaha!

But yep, this is why I left deli mainly. Deed it huge, or lose it.

• Like 1

Maybe move to Chaos?

I have 2 chars on chaos. I left because i stopped playing due to RL stuff. Chaos has become somewhat quiet since Xanadu has started, but you are right. I didn´t encounter such problems on Chaos.

I want to thank everyone for their answers and listening to my problems :unsure:

Deed it or leave it.

(This thread can be closed or deleted, problem is solved.)

Tell me how that works out when I come nearby with 200k dirt and expand your island :P mwahaha!

Well there is always an exception to the rule i guess...hehe

I guess if you want to spend all that time and 2g worth of dirt then i would have a new neighboring island. 

• Like 1

Well there is always an exception to the rule i guess...hehe

I guess if you want to spend all that time and 2g worth of dirt then i would have a new neighboring island. 

Do you have a screenshot of your place ? ^^

If the road is not completed yet.... Destroy it if you dont want it.   Its just as unprotected for him as they are for you.  Drop dirt for unrideably slopes and put rock curbing in every other tile. 

Its not griefing as its unprotected and your changing your perimeter tiles to suite your needs.

However, If you dont have a deed, then you really are asking for this.  Deed it or lose it. 

I fail to see anything in the description or the conversation that indicates any sort of Griefing, as defined in http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/7-game-rules/.

Block Access? NOPE.

Harassment? NOPE.

Lockpicking? NOPE.

Highway modification? NOPE.

Heritage site modification? NOPE.

KoS violations? NOPE.

Blocking Merchants? NOPE.

Seems to me this is a pretty normal case of 2 people disagreeing on something, but nothing on the level of griefing.

• Like 2

In that chat log you posted I must say you did come over as somewhat rude and judgmental, you might want to work on your diplomacy skills because responding like that will pretty much ensure that people will do exactly what you don't want them to do. It's seriously counter productive to respond like that ;)

Perfectly agree.

Things started going down hill when he asked whether he asked you or not and you said "I responded".

Something like "Yes, I am the owner" is all you needed.

I back everyone else and the person you exchanged PMs with.  He came asking for permission (which isn't even something he is required to do) and you came off as a butt.

• Like 1