Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

Staff Interviews: Wurm’s Senior Art Director – Emil “Wox� Norrman

I would like to know more about which projects are in active development?  What are the immediate plans for the future in wurm?  What is being done about old bugs in the game that have never been fixed?  Such as canals booting players off their ships. Is anyone working on fixing the lights?  Is someone working on a way to monitor an animal cap per zone, Instead of increasing the amount of creatures in already super infested areas?

Basically anything that has to do with the game.

• Like 1

Becket....  this guy's using your nickname as his forum name. He probably took the in game name too.  :P

LOL Guess you guys can't call me Bucket anymore.

• Like 1

Pfft, like an impostor is going to stop us!

Oh man, I am that one goofball that has always wanted to knwo what the creator's "overreaching" vision is. It always turns out to be something less poetic then I expected like "I wanted to make a cool game, bro."

check papo and yo dev interview, he got interesting vision of why he made one of his game ;) .

Btw, I just got confirmation that the next weeks interview is going to be with Rolf, anything specific you would like me to ask him about?

Yes. Ask him when he is going to hire you full time. You can always say that the question is coming from me, not you (which is true), so it will save you the anxiety of working on your own approach.

Brilliant, isn't it?

Edited by Valdor
  • Like 3

I agree with Valdor, ask him for a raise too. Tho it'd be interesting to know if Rolf has an end vision/goal for Wurm, and what it is.

Welcome Lars, and great interview! Looking forward to more. I noted from other games I have played from Sweden that it is not uncommon to find devs who were are still are also in Swedish death metal bands (and some quite good ones at that), not sure what the connection is but it's interesting to note :D

Thanks! As metal-fan myself, I have anecdotal evidence that a lot of metal heads are also infact huge nerds. :) There's also alot of us in Sweden - you can't throw a boomerang in a crowded town-square without hitting at least 2 of us.

I would like to know more about which projects are in active development?  What are the immediate plans for the future in wurm?  What is being done about old bugs in the game that have never been fixed?  Such as canals booting players off their ships. Is anyone working on fixing the lights?  Is someone working on a way to monitor an animal cap per zone, Instead of increasing the amount of creatures in already super infested areas?

Basically anything that has to do with the game.

Haha, I won't get that specific in this interview since it's mostly supposed to revolve about the individual. I'll try to get the "immediate plans"-question in there though.

Sure they can! Just be sure to add "the minion" when you talk about me.

Yes. Ask him when he is going to hire you full time. You can always say that the question is coming from me, not you (which is true), so it will save you the anxiety of working on your own approach.

Brilliant, isn't it?

"Apparently there's a movement amongst the paying playerbase to get me an extremely lucrative job here at CC... they say they will stop at nothing to get their wish, and that "virtual villages will burn" and that there will be "riots in the cobblestone-streets". Also it seems they would be really bummed out. So how about it? :D"

Genius!

Tho it'd be interesting to know if Rolf has an end vision/goal for Wurm, and what it is.

I'll definitely ask him this.

• Like 5

Personally I would like to hear a few things about Rolf the man, not about Rolf the developer.

Dunno... basic things... like his favorite food, favorite beverage, favorite book, favorite painter, favorite movie, a funny memory from his childhood or youth (not that he is not young anymore) or anything along these lines. :)

Thank you Lars. Your work for the Comunitie strengthens the bond between us and the wurm team.

Very nice job and a cool interview!

The dark GM model is very awesome, great work wox

• Like 2

I'd like to know , if Rolf could narrow down a motivating factor in how or why Wurm online was conceived, what that was.   I'd also like to know , going forward, what is his biggest driving passion about and for Wurm.

side note.  My first Born Foal on Xanadu has the name of Rolfrain.  will he take on duties as godfather at it's christening and bestow gifts upon it regularly.  hehhehe.  it is strong willed,can change direction faster than a quarter horse, and has affinity in gaming(horseplay)

Edited by Greasygrundle
  • Like 3

Personally I would like to hear a few things about Rolf the man, not about Rolf the developer.

Dunno... basic things... like his favorite food, favorite beverage, favorite book, favorite painter, favorite movie, a funny memory from his childhood or youth (not that he is not young anymore) or anything along these lines. :)

Sure, I might be able to throw some trivia-questions in there, :)

Thank you Lars. Your work for the Comunitie strengthens the bond between us and the wurm team.

Very nice job and a cool interview!

The dark GM model is very awesome, great work wox

Thanks man, getting me all sappy over here 

I'd like to know , if Rolf could narrow down a motivating factor in how or why Wurm online was conceived, what that was.   I'd also like to know , going forward, what is his biggest driving passion about and for Wurm.

Yep!

Great questions people, I'll try to include most of them, although some may get the snip depending on what makes sense.

So far:

• Ask about secret project

• Immediate plans about Wurm

End-vision/goal of Wurm

Narrow down a motivating factor in how or why Wurm online was conceived

What's his biggest driving passion about and for Wurm

Trivia-questions

Anything I've missed or you want to add? I'm gonna be doing the interview tomorrow!

• Like 2

If Rolf wants to drop any hints about bridges as part of the "Immediate plans about Wurm" I wouldn't object.

Nice to see this being done and good job so far.

Rolf, god of Wurm, man of mystery, mystical figure within players minds, shaped and forged over time by their imaginings. I have noted in his past sort of interviews that he is a master of brevity, thus leaving much space to be filled by others to conform his intent to their own speculations. I predict that from an interview a bit more may be gleaned about him to form further conjectures upon. He is far too casually crafty to be pinned down by any specific time frames or even a narrowed focus as to paths taken when so many open as the points unknown are reached.

Is it really believed that any more concise plans and objectives will be revealed with any more detail than has been in the past. Indeed he is a enjoyable person to attribute all sorts of a variety of intentions upon, as his nebulous responses can fan out into a universe of possibilities. At times the few words in response to questions seem to casually deflect any need for further explanation, when supposed details can encompass pages of diagramed projections over time in steps taken precisely leading from one objective to the next.

Overall, I get the impression that he simply enjoys what aspects of the game that he is currently working upon and when they are completed he moves onto the next that arrive from the preceding. No grand design nor projected path to follow but perhaps only a broad idea of the objectives ahead. More a type of individual that lives within the present moment than what may or may not come in the future.

When I see his pleasant smile within pictures it brings to mind a person at peace within themself, which is reflected within these Wurm lands in various ways. Then somehow I am content to not need to know everything spelled out in detail about his intentions concerning future plans and goals for the game or if there be any at all. Time has shown him to be the survivor when all odds seemed to indicate the end times of Wurm were just around the corner and that in itself is an admirable quality of perseverance, even if it perhaps be based upon unconcern.

Then again, who am I to know anything in these respects. Still, I can understand these types of characteristics as I retain some of them myself. And if I am completely or even partially wrong, so what. Each views the other through their own eyes and in turn our own illusions are not so easily dispelled once the grain of truth makes them sprout to the surface once again.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Ooo secret project... pulling the fleece over our eyes?

Edited by Klaa

The secret is no big deal guys... Rolf is testing Wurm on a new engine called cryengine.

mbiomr.jpg

Eh from all the QQ, I thought we were on cry engine a long time ago.

• Like 1

Btw, I just got confirmation that the next weeks interview is going to be with Rolf, anything specific you would like me to ask him about?

Is he going to fix pvp and Elevation anytime soon?

• Like 1