Sign in to follow this  
zaaephod

Several suggestions

Some of these are wild, and some have probably been brought up before, but I thought I'd throw them out there anyway.

1 - Objects that you own could have a 'push 1 tile distance' or some way in the context menu to set how far you want to push an object. I realize there needs to be a limit to this. 

2 - A ship captain skill, which you gain by putting on miles in a boat you're commanding. At low skill, a very wide, slightly inaccurate reticle would appear on your ingame map, giving you a vague idea where you were in the world. As you gain skill, the reticle would get smaller, and more accurate. Maybe have this be something that requires a long action, or require some navigation device other than a compass.

3 - When you're the captain of a boat you don't own, when you hover it, it should warn you that you can't leave the server with it. A warning on inspection would also do. Sailing across Xanadu only to realize you got into your alts boat is not my idea of a good time.

4 - When a player logs out as a passenger in a boat, they should be warned that if the boat leaves the server, they will be left behind. This leads to number 5:

5 - When the commander of a boat is about to leave a server, they should be warned if they have passengers who are not logged in.

6 - When leaving a server, rather than saying 'you'll leave this island', it should say where you'll end up. Since server boundary lines are apparently not square or rectangular, I've hit the wrong zone line many times. This happens if you return from Xanadu, ending up in the southeast corner of Deli, sail straight south, you don't go to Exodus, you cross back over into Xanadu instead. 

Edited by zaaephod

Some of these are wild, and some have probably been brought up before, but I thought I'd throw them out there anyway.

1 - Objects that you own could have a 'push 1 tile distance' or some way in the context menu to set how far you want to push an object. I realize there needs to be a limit to this. 

2 -To much like every other GPS skill request

3 - When you're the captain of a boat you don't own, when you hover it, it should warn you that you can't leave the server with it. A warning on inspection would also do. Sailing across Xanadu only to realize you got into your alts boat is not my idea of a good time.

4 - When a player logs out as a passenger in a boat, they should be warned that if the boat leaves the server, they will be left behind. This leads to number 5:

5 - When the commander of a boat is about to leave a server, they should be warned if they have passengers who are not logged in.

6 - When leaving a server, rather than saying 'you'll leave this island', it should say where you'll end up. Since server boundary lines are apparently not square or rectangular, I've hit the wrong zone line many times. This happens if you return from Xanadu, ending up in the southeast corner of Deli, sail straight south, you don't go to Exodus, you cross back over into Xanadu instead. 

+1 to everything but the GPS (Captain) skill

or require some navigation device other than a compass.

Maybe Iceland Spar?  Apparently one was recently found in a shipwreck.  It's meant to be more of a compass though, showing the location of the sun even in cloudy/foggy weather, but I just think it's cool and want to find a place for it in Wurm.

Having a location marker on the map though... Judging from the map below, I get the feeling vikings would have navigated much like we do in Wurm.  Follow a coastline, use landmarks, and if you leave the coastline, go straight and hope for the best.

Oh, and knock a few priests over the head along the way for a bit of gold and honey.  We have gold, we have priests, and we'll be getting honey.

navigation.jpg

Granted this is not really a Viking Simulator sooo... could be moot.

Eh I prefer navigation being skill based. Night/Fog are real tumdedums though.

The other suggestions all seem nice.