Sign in to follow this  
Trance104

New player considering starting up with a few friends

We come from ~7 years of UO from early "hardcore" ruleset to the carebear ###### that exists now. Gave a variety of MMOs a try. I regret not trying this one as I heard about it pre-minecraft and it sounds like it's amazing.

I'm not trying to grind up quickly or anything, but I do want to play on a PvP server.

What are the differences in the PvP servers? I was looking at this: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php?title=Server_types but for someone that has never played the game before, I don't fully understand it. It seems like factions of some sort, but the larger server is FFA entirely? (Chaos interests me the most because of the tile size)

Have you ever played Salem MMO? Is it close to that? What's the combat like? What is the sieging like? I've started watching youtube vids.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Not looking for handouts or anything, but may subscribe for at least a month to get going and see how it plays from there. (I like that you can pay in BTC)

Glad you are starting with friends. I started the same way and found the game much more enjoyable, till I could handle things on my own.

I suggest reading through this. I will be joining chaos soon and found it to be a good heads up on what to expect: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/83785-chaos-server-general-info-and-faq/

Edit: Note that the link is for chaos, not for epic.

Edited by Nicrolis

As a player of Haven, I apologize that you had to play Salem. It was a mistake.

PvP in this game is a lot of posturing and not too much large scale combat. Epic is faster to get into but is suffering from some broken mechanics so I've heard. Chaos is in a bit of a stalemate with one dominant faction and splintered groups making up what's left.

All pvp factions will gladly recruit anyone who's not a dunce or complete asshat, so you'll find a warm welcome in that regard. Expect about 2 months to grind up your skills to a "satisfactory level" as far as fighting goes, but there's no harm to extra bodies going so you'll likely be allowed to tag along in any fighting that happens.

This game is incredibly slow compared to most, if grinding "isn't your thing" you're probably not going to like it.

Best of luck, do your research about factions before choosing.

Edited by Sevenless
  • Like 1

Can small groups of friends make it on Chaos? Can we run to some crazy end of the land? :)

Also, the PvE server can "level" up in their carebear environment, then come over to the PvP server and "own" everyone? Did I misinterpret that?

Come to chaos. The horde and libila is waiting for you! On time we have many new player here :)

Can small groups of friends make it on Chaos? Can we run to some crazy end of the land? :)

Also, the PvE server can "level" up in their carebear environment, then come over to the PvP server and "own" everyone? Did I misinterpret that?

It would be hard without a kingdom, very hard.

Yes you can level everything up on Freedom then come to Chaos and fight.

There's 2 choises and they both have their pros and cons:

Chaos:

4096x4096 sized map, it's both a pro and a con, you have more space, but in case you want your own place you might get no help due to big distances and traveling time. Usual skillgain (1x), can go to freedom for a safe environment for training. This server is older than Epic and population is fairly low (depends on timezone). Every kingdom is based on the same map. Can be non premium on chaos

Epic: consists of 4 servers (islands), each kingdom (BL, MR, JK) has it's own home server where enemies can't place their deeds/towers, but are free to come raid villages, kill people etc. In the center is Elevation (2048x2048 in size) where all kingdoms fight for the land (this is premium only). Double skillgain + the skill curve, so it's fairly easyer to catch up to old players and go to PvP earlyer. If you like hardcore gameplay you can start right on elevation, start your own place and hope to stay alive. Usual start is choosing some home server and after skilling up go to elevation.

Come to Chaos.  Be part of a new Kingdom we will teach you the ropes and how to survive on Chaos.  Join the Demonocracy of Ebonaura today and be part of something great.

Interesting how this turned into a recruitment thread.

I seriously recomend starting on a PvE server however, even if it is your intention to PvP eventually. There is a lot to learn about Wurm that Chaos at least, makes very unforgiving. Not that it can not be done, I just would get a feel for the basic systems first.

I do recomend Xanadu, as much as I have my personal distaste of it. The fresh land and larger communities there are perfect for a pvp curious player.

On a few of your questions, you will likly never be on par or "own" on either of the PvP servers. The time intake is simply too high and their are players who have been grinding their characters from the very start. That is not really the point though, it is more about the close knit gameplay a good kingdom can provide.

Edited by GorgonKain

Interesting how this turned into a recruitment thread.

I seriously recomend starting on a PvE server however, even if it is your intention to PvP eventually. There is a lot to learn about Wurm that Chaos at least, makes very unforgiving. Not that it can not be done, I just would get a feel for the basic systems first.

I do recomend Xanadu, as much as I have my personal distaste of it. The fresh land and larger communities there are perfect for a pvp curious player.

On a few of your questions, you will likly never be on par or "own" on either of the PvP servers. The time intake is simply too high and their are players who have been grinding their characters from the very start. That is not really the point though, it is more about the close knit gameplay a good kingdom can provide.

There's 2 choises and they both have their pros and cons:

Chaos:

4096x4096 sized map, it's both a pro and a con, you have more space, but in case you want your own place you might get no help due to big distances and traveling time. Usual skillgain (1x), can go to freedom for a safe environment for training. This server is older than Epic and population is fairly low (depends on timezone). Every kingdom is based on the same map. Can be non premium on chaos

Epic: consists of 4 servers (islands), each kingdom (BL, MR, JK) has it's own home server where enemies can't place their deeds/towers, but are free to come raid villages, kill people etc. In the center is Elevation (2048x2048 in size) where all kingdoms fight for the land (this is premium only). Double skillgain + the skill curve, so it's fairly easyer to catch up to old players and go to PvP earlyer. If you like hardcore gameplay you can start right on elevation, start your own place and hope to stay alive. Usual start is choosing some home server and after skilling up go to elevation.

Thank you! These are the most informative responses I've gotten. :D

I really appreciate it.

Chances are I'll be on tonight... I wouldn't mind "learning the ropes" if someone is willing to teach them to me. :)

If not, I'll likely do fishing and mining because for some reason those things appeal to me :P