Sign in to follow this  
Heboric

Risotto.

I made my first risottos a couple of days ago and realized that there might be a few considerations that weren't immediately clear. At the moment I haven't played my cook on Freedom for very long, so my skill level isn't that high at all yet - 53ish.

So what did I do?

Well - first off went fishing until I broke my line, but not before i'd caught a few small fish and a couple of slightly larger catfish (yeah - fishing is also still a starter skill for me here :)) We'd already found a bit a rice which we had growing, so I checked the wiki and discovered I needed either saucepans or a cauldron. Well - I had the cauldron on hand, and about 700 frying pans, so for the experiment the cauldron would have to do.

I threw both catfish and a couple of rice into the cauldron, filled it with water and cooked it. Yay! Just over 12 kgs of 53QL risotto. So I thought I'd divide that up into a few saucepans and made 4 of them. When I tried to fill the saucepans I discovered that although it took lots of water to make, risotto didn't end up liquid - and the risotto didn't split into the saucepans :)

OK. So moving on I threw a fish and a rice into each saucepan, filled them up, and cooked them. Result - 4 saucepans with around 2-4 QL risotto :(

So I began with my first tentative conclusions remembering the first early days of Wurm when "dishwater" used to rear it's watery head and now suspect that to cook a decent QL you need to ensure ample ingredients.

So now I'm out fishing again to test my new theory, and see if I can make my cooking level proper QL.

I'm curious though. Has anyone else actually worked out how this actually all works yet? And how about something I read someone claim that risotto produces more nutrition per QL than meals?

Comments?

• Like 1

Sadly I can't give you any proper data, but from what I've seen when making a few dozen risotto it seemed like the amount of water used did affect the likelihood of getting better QL risotto. Filling it to the brim with water and then add 1 rice and 1 fish filet to a pan seemed to give mostly poor QL risotto for me; when using (if I recall correctly) 0.25kg of water with 1 rice and 1 fish filet, the likelihood of getting high QL risotto seemed much higher (instead of in the 40ish QL range, it became in the 80ish QL range). This was with 99+ HFC, using an oven, 80+QL sauce pan, 100.00QL rice, and averaging roughly 50QL filets of fish. (Both a little and a lot of water used had similar QL fish filets used, so that shouldn't have affected the QL outcome that extreme.)

I haven't properly tested it due to the effort of making meals of overall high QL being much easier overall, for me.

I hope this little info helps though.

You will get a better ql risotto if you put the minimum amount of water possible in the pan. Try adding a reed pen worth of water with the rice and the fish.

i used 2kg of water and had 50% my ql and 50% bottom ql.

i'll try a flask and see how this works.

I use a 1:1 ratio roughly of water and fish/fish filet, to get 30-40kg chunks of risotto.  Have gotten as high as 97ql so far with just barely a few tries

• Like 2