Sign in to follow this  
Druidnature

Cliffhorse (New game by Notch)

So, if yall haven't heard....Notch has made another game.

And yes, this is very real.  He's even asking for donations for the game.....But uhm, there's one problem.

It's worse then any inde game i've ever seen. . . It's not even funny! 

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIF67Tw4E14

I don't even........know.....what to say..... :wacko:

• Like 1

Obviously it's a metaphor that you shouldn't follow something around your entire life and instead seek out your own path.

Just kidding. I ended up running off the edge of the map for fun after I got tired of kicking the ball.

• Like 1

"Pls pay Notch cus he's a POOR game developer and he's trying to make his way in this world" ....WTF !!!!

The poor guy has next to no money ....Errr --- MINECRAFT !!!!! <<<< he made next to no money from that ? ....me thinks not.

Oh and btw that new game (or Physics Demo) is a PILE.

"Pls pay Notch cus he's a POOR game developer and he's trying to make his way in this world" ....WTF !!!!

The poor guy has next to no money ....Errr --- MINECRAFT !!!!! <<<< he made next to no money from that ? ....me thinks not.

Something tells me it was not even remotely meant seriously, the whole "poor game developer" thingy :P

it just looks like an experiment to me to play around with unity :P i did stuff like that too, just to learn the engine XD

OMG! This looks almost as much fun as goat simulator! I must go give all my moneys to Notch now so we can afford to make moar games like this!

Yo goat simulator was rather fun !

New Wurm engine?

Heh, I sort of think he was actually messing with unity for a new minecraft.

Heh, I sort of think he was actually messing with unity for a new minecraft.

That pretty much seals Wurm's coffin. Where can I send moneys to Notch? He's just a poor developer, he needs moneys.

That pretty much seals Wurm's coffin. Where can I send moneys to Notch? He's just a poor developer, he needs moneys.

If it's still blocks (which I'd find likely, but who knows) I doubt it would attract many from the wurm player base, unless it had skills or something to go along with it, and a lot harder then the current minecraft. /shrug

• Like 1

If it's still blocks (which I'd find likely, but who knows) I doubt it would attract many from the wurm player base, unless it had skills or something to go along with it, and a lot harder then the current minecraft. /shrug

I think you mean grindy, not harder. 

• Like 1

wurm's got some serious competition now, this game has 3rd person :o

• Like 1

Notch himself stated the company made enough off Minecraft to operate for like ten years without another major blockbuster.

Notch himself stated the company made enough off Minecraft to operate for like ten years without another major blockbuster.

Yay Notch!

I think you mean grindy, not harder.

Without time, nothing is hard in the entire world, as you learn how to do things better with time.

Without time, nothing is hard in the entire world, as you learn how to do things better with time.

There's a difference between doing something better because you are skilled, and doing something better because you grinded for a long time. If I beat someone in Starcraft 2, it's because I played better than they did. If I beat someone in Wurm, it's because I grinded longer than they did. Understand the difference? Right now PVP in Minecraft is largely about skill. Adding a skill system like in Wurm would just make it about grinding. If Notch did that, then put a cap on the skills unless you paid a subscription, Minecraft would have died a long time ago. So yeah, I think Notch has figured out the better way. His success is proof of that. 

Edited by Jeixi

There's a difference between doing something better because you are skilled, and doing something better because you grinded for a long time. If I beat someone in Starcraft 2, it's because I played better than they did. If I beat someone in Wurm, it's because I grinded longer than they did. Understand the difference? Right now PVP in Minecraft is largely about skill. Adding a skill system like in Wurm would just make it about grinding. If Notch did that, then put a cap on the skills unless you paid a subscription, Minecraft would have died a long time ago. So yeah, I think Notch has figured out the better way. His success is proof of that.

And with time, one because better at something, and executes things faster. (Which applies to all of what you just wrote >_>)

Edited by Druidnature

There is a large difference between something taking time to learn because it's deep and complex and something taking a lot of time because of artificial delays. Playing at a high level in a game of chess will take many years of practice and lots of learning. Imposing a 5 minute wait between turns in tic tac toe makes the game no more difficult just more frustrating. Some people might get some gratification that they slogged through such a game of tic tac toe but they in no way did anything more impressive than they would have without the delay.

There will always be a place for excessively grindy games because there will always be those people with no talent, a lot of time, and the need to feel better than other people. Just review the thread on epic wanting legendary titles or any freedom vs epic debate. Always draws out these types of people that have their ego threatened by players that don't need to invest as much time to achieve the same results.

I'm not saying there is no place for a grind as it is a very effective means of padding out play time and gating content which can be important in maintaining a player base over a period of time without having to have a massive amount of unique content to keep people occupied but anyone that thinks they're accomplishing anything other than demonstrating they have far too much time to invest in trivial and repetitive tasks is just fooling themselves.

There is a large difference between something taking time to learn because it's deep and complex and something taking a lot of time because of artificial delays. Playing at a high level in a game of chess will take many years of practice and lots of learning. Imposing a 5 minute wait between turns in tic tac toe makes the game no more difficult just more frustrating. Some people might get some gratification that they slogged through such a game of tic tac toe but they in no way did anything more impressive than they would have without the delay.

There will always be a place for excessively grindy games because there will always be those people with no talent, a lot of time, and the need to feel better than other people. Just review the thread on epic wanting legendary titles or any freedom vs epic debate. Always draws out these types of people that have their ego threatened by players that don't need to invest as much time to achieve the same results.

I'm not saying there is no place for a grind as it is a very effective means of padding out play time and gating content which can be important in maintaining a player base over a period of time without having to have a massive amount of unique content to keep people occupied but anyone that thinks they're accomplishing anything other than demonstrating they have far too much time to invest in trivial and repetitive tasks is just fooling themselves.

This is 100% true. Bravo.

I also want to add that leveling and skill systems had more actual utility in older single player RPG's because AI for NPC's and monsters was so limited. Most of the time they would just run at you while attacking. So developers came up with levels to simulate skill. If the developer wanted a monster to be seen as an uber powerful boss, they would just give them more hit points, more attack damage, etc. In a sandbox MMO though where players are interacting with each other I'm not so sure this is necessary, because you're not dealing with an AI that just runs at you attacking. You're dealing with other players.

Imagine if you joined a game of Halo, shot a dude 12 times in the head with a sniper rifle, then he hits you once with a Battle Rifle and you're dead. Then he gloats on team speak saying, "I'm just more skilled than you dude. I've been on this server for two years! My armor rating is cranked up to 2000% and I do 20x damage!" Yeah, you'd be kind of pissed. Maybe if you was playing Borderlands on single player and this happened in a boss fight, it would be forgivable. You just go grind an hour or two, and come back later. But with Wurm we're not talking an hour or two. We're talking a couple of years of grinding ten hours a day. 

I realized that is the main design flaw in Wurm. It's the reason that other survival/building game I'm not going to mention (for fear of getting banned) has millions of players, while this one plateau'd at 1,000... 

Edited by Jeixi

Very Interesting that he's demonstrating quadruped motion before biped motion.  Designing a mount system that looks good before even designing characters?  That would seem to indicate a strong interest in good PVP.  Or something very strange (either is possible)

Perhaps Notch was restricted from competing with Rolf for several years when they parted ways, but that period has ended?

It would be very interesting to see Notch create another low-fantasy game:

Imagine:

Wurm-like crafting

Unity Graphics

True 3D world.

Mount-and-Blade-like PVP

On Steam

No artifacts and very little magic.

No unique NPC's

I could get into that.  Definitely.

Very Interesting that he's demonstrating quadruped motion before biped motion.  Designing a mount system that looks good before even designing characters?  That would seem to indicate a strong interest in good PVP.  Or something very strange (either is possible)

Perhaps Notch was restricted from competing with Rolf for several years when they parted ways, but that period has ended?

It would be very interesting to see Notch create another low-fantasy game:

Imagine:

Wurm-like crafting

Unity Graphics

True 3D world.

Mount-and-Blade-like PVP

On Steam

No artifacts and very little magic.

No unique NPC's

I could get into that.  Definitely.

little magic? Welp, that game just failed in my book.  B)

• Like 1

What makes you think its a game for bipedals and not intended to be about horses?

Rise of the Bronies!

• Like 1

I decided to not purchase more from the ending steam summer sale and put money at this instead. It is my new definition of epic.