Sign in to follow this  
Righteous

Beekeeping - Apiculture - Mead

Aaaaah', refreshing! A nice pint oh' mead. Wait a second, that isn't mead, it's just plain water, boo-hoo.

Oats, barley and rye. Hops perhaps? How about a little honey?

An apiary privides a sanctuary for bees. Bees produce honey. What do we make with honey? MEAD! That's right, good ole' fashioned beer!

The beekeeper would:

1. Build an apiary (the wooden structure which attracts bees, protects them and provides a home for the honey comb they make).

2. Collect honey comb and extract the honey/royal jelly/beeswax.

3. With a little bit of patience, and using a table such as the one we use with dyes, certain types of meads/beer are produced in casks/barrels.

4a. Upon drinking mead, the body is rejuvenated (stamina replenished instantly;

~or~

4b. Upon drinking mead, the body does away with fatigue better, therefore tasks such as digging allow for more actions without resting.

5. Honey can be made into sandwiches for quick and instant stamina boosts.

6. Honey is a very powerful salve and can be applied over wounds for quicker heal recovery.

7. Beeswax can be made into longer lasting candles or ultra lantern fuel.

8. Beeswax can be used along with various dyes/berries to produce paintings/art (a whole other topic and suggestion).

9. Beeswax can be used with fishing line/sewing thread to strengthen and preserve it.

10. Beeswax can be used in bowmaking.

11. Beeswax can be used for wax molds to build items (poured metals).

12. Pollen can be collected and dispersed on crops for better yield.

An apiary/bee box could also provide a boost in crop yeild to surrounding crops, say, 1x more crop per harvest in a 10x10 tile area.

Other uses include (exerpted and linked to Wikipedia: beeswax, propolis, pollen, and royal jelly and to pollinate crops.

Please involve yourself in the 'discussion' and contribute to this idea and celebrate the making of mead!

Thank you,

R'

• Like 9

Has been suggested before, and since my only real playthrough of minecraft was the forestry bee mod, hella yeah ^_^

• Like 2

Hell yeah... I'd love some good mead ingame :)

Also, all the mentioned possibilities sound pretty good as well, maybe a bit too good for one single skill?

But anyways... +1 from me for sure

I like all the potential uses for beeswax!

Honey might be useful in healing covers as well?  Salves?  I think it has medicinal properties... dunno.  All kinds of potential though, not to mention attracting bears to a trap.  :)

Minor point, not sure mead involves hops?  :huh:   Not important, but I think that's the difference between beer and mead.  I think hops were added by the Brits to help keep mead fresh in India, hence India Pale Ale being so hoppy.

One thing I would request, which is never popular whenever I've mentioned it in gaming environments but here goes anyway... have an equal alternative that does not involve an alcoholic beverage.  Someone's character may not partake, but still deserves the benefits.  Maybe some strawberry, blueberry, honey and oat concoction  ^_^

Has been suggested before, and since my only real playthrough of minecraft was the forestry bee mod, hella yeah ^_^

Heh forestry bee mod is nothing compared to the potential we have here for a new feature built around keeping bees in Wurm to make something really complex and intricate.   That's what is fun about playing this game, the detail that is spent on doing everyday things.  There is just so many aspects of beekeeping that would be very cool, like finding wild swarms, building an apiary, populating the apiary with your swarm, then taking care of the colony, nursing it through disease, and splitting it into other colonies, breeding queens, watching your bees swarm again and fly away if you don't take care of them properly, the possiblities for a very intricate and immersive experience looks like it would be a lot of fun.   

Hell if done right, it would be the envy of any crafting MMO and something to showcase as part of the immersion in this game.   

Edited by Battlepaw

Congratulations! This got suggested for the fifth time in a few months. AND WE WANT IT SO BAD. ROLF LISTEN TO THIS!!!

• Like 2

Congratulations! This got suggested for the fifth time in a few months. AND WE WANT IT SO BAD. ROLF LISTEN TO THIS!!!

Fifth?

With this title alone, 3, overall, over 10 (I'd say around 15) in the past 4 months alone, under weird names in some cases. (Also often put under just Ale threads)

+1

+1 would be fun, also a more useful buff for alcoholic drinks would be nice.

Come on Rolf..... players want this.

They have wanted this for a long ass time and we ALL WANT MEAD !!!...

Is it so hard to add in a basic box on legs that makes honey / royal jelly / beeswax over time ?.....and also gives off a buzzing sound when your near it ?

+1 Yes, Bees, Beekeeping, Honey, Mead, beeswax candles, royal jelly, I want the whole sweet smelling mess! I got a really good deed and area for it too ;)

Edited by geode

Its already in the works. Cant give you the exact thread it was posted in but its already in development.

+1 

Other uses of beeswax: 

- Lubricant for furniture / tool joints

- Prevents Bronze from tarnishing

- Component of furniture polish

- Preservative coating for cheese

- Conditioner for wood bowls and cutting boards

- Waterproofing leather

- Healing cracked animal hooves

- Making chocolate

- Finishing agent for blacksmithing

- Coating rope

- Healing salve ingredient 

- Waterproofing boats and saddles

- Sealing documents

- Grafting plants (omg yes)

- Taming a mustache 

+1 

Other uses of beeswax: 

- Lubricant for furniture / tool joints

- Prevents Bronze from tarnishing

- Component of furniture polish

- Preservative coating for cheese

- Conditioner for wood bowls and cutting boards

- Waterproofing leather

- Healing cracked animal hooves

- Making chocolate

- Finishing agent for blacksmithing

- Coating rope

- Healing salve ingredient 

- Waterproofing boats and saddles

- Sealing documents

- Grafting plants (omg yes)

- Taming a mustache 

- Taming a mustache : Mustache taming contest!

Come on Rolf..... players want this.

They have wanted this for a long ass time and we ALL WANT MEAD !!!...

Is it so hard to add in a basic box on legs that makes honey / royal jelly / beeswax over time ?.....and also gives off a buzzing sound when your near it ?

Like the 'buzzing sound' idea.

-1 I don't want to see drunk players :D.  I'm kidding +2 :D

I dont even need to read this thread, anything to do with bees will per auto get +1 from me.

• Apiary use to increase grow speed on farm crops and trees nearby

Mead is most commonly made by honey but I'd like to see that you can go even further and making it out of lingon/blueberry, strawberries, wheat and other specimen used innit as in real life. Each flavour gives its own taste, quality and effect.

As always the higher of one quality the more expensive it gets!

I dont even need to read this thread, anything to do with bees will per auto get +1 from me.

• Apiary use to increase grow speed on farm crops and trees nearby

Increase farm and tree growth rate in surrounding tiles, that sounds good. Let's add 1x more yield at harvest time too eh :)

Beeswax also serves as a base for salves

Sorry, -1. Within the realm of wurm mechanics, I really don't see the feasibility of beekeeping.

1) You go hunting and get attacked by bees? You need a beekeeper uniform? Changing armor in the midst of battle is not all that easy, or practical. And what weapon would work against bees... ?? So, imho, that's out.

2) Worker bees, those responsible for the honey-making, never stray far from their queen. So a queen bee could be made a tameable mob, (that would certainly make it easier on Rolf to code in a single mob rather than a swarm, I would assume) but what could be used to tame her, flowers? Queen bees never collect nectar so technically that really shouldn't work. (I know wurmlogic is sometimes more questionable than not, but we should at least try to maintain what we can of it.)

So you have no way to tame them, no way to lure them to your property and no way to keep them there should they show up. It's problematic.

However, I do believe honey could be slightly easy to add to the game - IF - beehives were to spawn in the same manner as scorpion stones, for example. You could still make use of a beekeeper uniform, or whatever other implements you all want added (someone mentioned a beegum smoker) if it's absolutely necessary. (Personally, I would prefer not.. ) Bring your keeper outfit hunting with you, and should you happen upon a hive, then changing armor without the heat of battle breathing down your neck. That would certainly be more preferable, no? Collect your honey (logically, in small amounts) from the "stone" and go. It's simple and a potential benefit for everyone—including poor Rolf.

Besides, bees tend to move around in nature, so a temporary hive is more logical.  Stones also decay very slowly. So this method of obtaining honey, and therefore the ability to make honey mead, is a lot more precious, and thus - if Rolf be willing - it could/should have an effect worthy of it's rarity. Unless, of course, you all just want more worthless crap like staircases and forks...