This is mostly based on adding 2 new tools.

The Drying Rack :- Made from shafts and nails (fine carp?)

The Mortar and Pestle :- Made from rock shards

The drying rack is an immovable furniture item with a lot of size restrictions.  Players can use this rack to dry various items (though this suggestion only covers its use and effects for healing items).

Any "damp" object can be dried, this covers things like herbs, mushrooms, bladders, glands, paws etc but not teeth/horns.

Drying halves the weight of components.  So dried lovage would weigh 0.025 instead of 0.05.  A dried black mushroom would weigh half that of a black mushroom (0.4?).  Dried items also decay much much slower (1/10 the speed)

To dry an item simply put it in the drying rack (a container) and leave it for a wurm week.  The rack can hold up to 100 items but is limited by bulk.  No skillgain for doing this.

Grinding an ingredient is done by using the mortar and pestle on it.  Doing so gives items the suffix "ground" and increases their potency by 1.  This will give natural substances exp.

Covers made from dried ingredients carry over their preservation bonus (1/5 for 1 dried, 1/10 for both dried).  Covers made from ground ingredients apply 25% faster when a bandage is present.

tl;dr?  More little things we alchemists can do to make higher quality healing items!

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 2

I like the idea. It would give alchemy a little more variation. I would expect the development team to get planned improvements going however, I hope they consider this for the next tranche.

The drying rack / mortar and pestle are both 'of the Wurm era'.

In addition, it would if implemented, be a small step to the oft requested wish of having dried / smoked fish within Wurm

• Like 1

Going to bump this one up, mostly  because natural substances' role in healing isn't all that involved or interesting at the moment.

+1 I like the idea of being able to make lighter yet higher potency healing covers. Also this could lend to a myriad of new cooking recipes.

On 6/22/2014 at 6:21 AM, Etherdrifter said:

More little things we alchemists can do to make higher quality healing items!

Because farming black mushrooms would be hard?

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Because farming black mushrooms would be hard?

Already doing that thanks.

It's space intensive and very much a "late-game" thing to do and has 0 impact since most players capable of farming black mushrooms in a reasonable way can usually manage to hunt for teeth/glands instead.

+1 Shamelessly linking to a similar suggestion I have made in January, about expading Nat subs and Alchemy.