Sign in to follow this  
Stormblade

Iron Rations

How many of us spend a few hours traveling on horseback only to almost starve to death because our meals rotted in our inventory?

Traveling to a friends village, 3 hours by horse ( not boat access ) took 15 meals with me, 54-60ql all zero damage, by the time I got there, all the meals had over 60 damage, and 3 where at 80+.

Here is my suggestion.

Iron Rations, or Pack Rations, Travelers Meals.

Same ingredients as meals but instead of decaying fast in inventory they only decay faster when not in inventory, in other words they act in reverse of meals. 

Decay normal while in inventory but decay x10 faster when not in inventory as these are not ment to replace meals while not traveling.

They would have the same nutrition as meals, perhaps less since they are ment to be eaten on the fly while traveling.

Anyways just a thought, I found it frustrating to watch my food level go down and down and down on the way back home, eventually made it home, all 15 meals had over 95 damage ( 6 hour round trip, maybe 30 minutes there dropping off stuff )

To me, not being able to carry a meal while traveling by horse just seemed to make it not as enjoyable to travel in game as I would if I didn't have to worry about starving to death.

• Like 3

since you called it iron ration and should decay slowly in inventory it should only fill up your food bar and not giving you ANY nutrition. otherwise this could be exploited alot. what's gonna stop you from making 5kg of iron ratio and keep in your inv ? 

edit: on second thought this is bad as well. iron rations should drop your nutrition to 50

Edited by hoof2000

Higher quality meals also decay way, way, slower.  my 80+ql ones usually don't decay for a few days.

Did you use salt when creating those meals in order to reduce decay? Unless it has been changed in the last few years then foods like casseroles also decay slower than meals of an equivalent ql, making them more suitable as travel rations.

Maybe the game could do with salt being a bit more abundant than it is now.

Edited by Ecrir

We already have sandwiches in game that give 60% nutrition, stamina boost and don't decay as fast in inventory, so I don't see that this would radically change the game.

I don't see why iron rations or ship's biscuit can't be something you can make once you reach a HIGH level of baking skill.

These wouldn't decay in inventory, and would give 60% nutrition but no stamina properties. These could then be sold on merchants.

• Like 1

Or someone could fix the "fix". Wasn't accelerated decay on food items in your inventory added as a heavy handed nerf to alts with inventories full of hot meals?

Fix it right this time, no reason for the extra decay rate.

keeping them in something also slows decay I personally carry a lunch bucket with water and meals stuffed into it

I also carry a frying pan if I get hungry forage shoot a deer and reload food