Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Gliders And Flying in General

Two words: Arial Assassinations!

Why, what did that font ever do to you, or did you mean Aerial?

As for Air vehicles/transport, its been covered many times before, and to cut a long debate short, it has far to many problems. Though i am now willing to admit that with the legal enclosures rules changed/gone, that part of the argument is no longer a concern.

Edited by Trooper
  • Like 3

Gliders, man. Gliders, or at least the assassins' version.

EDIT: Meant Aerial... semi-intelligent spellcheck didn't catch it unfortunately.

Edited by Klaa

Rolf came up with Flying and jumping a while back so i think it's going to be added in some form ....

For me i don't want jumping or flying on-deed....flying over them Yea np there but to land inside someones deed or jump over a wall / fence into someones deed NO

I didn't build walls and gatehouses around my deed for fun....i did it to keep others out.

As for how you would get said Flying ....well we all know Rolf wants to make more cash right.....Eh Rolf eh ...Ca-ching Ca-ching ;)

Well here's the best way for you to do that....Flying mounts ....which you can only get from the Store.

Players BUY them from the store....if you realy want one ...then by one and if you don't there's no crying about not having one.

But we all know sh*tloads of players would buy one.....and yes we will get he "Oh poor me i have no cash...it's not fair" players but your going to get that anyway.

If we get flying or jumping of any kind, I want an enforced no fly/no jump zone without deed permissions. I make fences to keep people out. They have to bash them (not on Freedom though sorry!) to get in. Flying over them kind of defeats the purpose of even making a fence. It defeats the purpose of a doughnut house. It defeats the purpose of many deed security items. That or PvE or not, we have anti-aircraft that shoots down all unauthorized fliers as world happen in any real or fantasy world. Archers, towers, whatever.

There's also the "Wurm is based in medieval times" fact to consider... if hang gliders and stuff are added in it defies that fact :P however, flying mounts wouldn't be such a bad idea since it is a fantasy medieval world :)

Leonardo da Vinci, circa ~1485, late middle ages.

leonardo-da-vinci-sketch-of-a-flying-macFlying-machine-02-c-01.jpg8bbf4ee7-8bcd-

not saying this should happen.

I could imagine it being fun though, if general concerns attenuated.

I think I do remember reading Rolf saying that if he ever did go through with flying, there would indeed be the appropriate defenses along with it.  

Oh, as for the glider above, into the wind to climb, downwind for speed, etc.

Helicopter thing, better in low wind situations, unstable should winds pick up.

Just a thought.

I think there should be a cost a significant downside to flight so it doesn't make boats/roads useless. With the gliders I don't see much of a problem as they could be limited due to wind speed (if the wind is too strong then you'd be blown away and probably crash, if the wind is too weak then you probably wouldn't get very far), wind direction could also influence where you could go (no going against the wind?). The travel distance per flight could also be limited and you'd need to get to high ground before taking off too.

Flying mounts on the other hand would just make boats/roads redundant, I really hope Rolf doesn't make that mistake.

I dunno why da vinci always comes up in this. I mean he drew some stuff but did any of it actually ever get made (genuine question)? That first one looks ridiculous - if I draw a time machine it doesn't mean it's something suitable to my period :-P

I don't see much appeal to flying anywho, and the drawbacks security-wise outweigh any benefits for me

• Like 1

I get the feeling things like hot air baloons at the mercy of the wind might be better suited to wurm than gliders.

Still gets a +1 though since I live at the top of a mountain....

The first thing I asked myself when I started Wurm was ''Where is the jump button?''

Later on I realized there is no need to jump. I'd not like to see flying either.

Edited by Sharkin

I dunno why da vinci always comes up in this. I mean he drew some stuff but did any of it actually ever get made (genuine question)?

Not in his time, no. Most of his flying machines wouldn't have worked at all. He did design hang gliders that could have worked, but nobody constructed any of them until modern times. Truly functional hang gliders that aren't a serious threat to one's life or limbs weren't built until the 19th century.

Theoretically, a proper hang glider could exist in a quasi-medieval setting, although it is unlikely people of this level in technology would possess an understanding of aerodynamics, making it quite difficult.

Personally, I would like to see jumping in Wurm someday, and if they were well balanced and implemented, I'd be fine with flying creatures. However, I think flying machines have no place in Wurm and would strongly object to their inclusion.

• Like 2

If flying is added without deeds setting to block, I want flak guns, or AA catapults.

• Like 1

I never did get the "not suitable for this time" when used to counter any type of technology not medieval.

There is so many aspects of wurm that make it a parallel dimension of magic and monsters rather than a reflection of medieval times when related to RL.

Giant spiders, dragons and acid breathing reptilians with skin of lava... the list go's on

So why not a hang glider or steam power, wurm is its own dimension.

-1 however to any form of jump, fly and/or glide etc i would rather not have it.   (flying dragons would be super cool tho)

I like the idea of having gliders in the game. It'd be nice to scale a large mountain, jump off, and glide along back to your deed or somewhere else on the server if the wind's strong enough.

Oh screw realism. I don't want flying because of the massive potential impact on PvP, or the effects it would have on travel.

That doesn't mean I don't want those amazing views only a mountain can give. But then again that's why I climb them.

I never did get the "not suitable for this time" when used to counter any type of technology not medieval.

There is so many aspects of wurm that make it a parallel dimension of magic and monsters rather than a reflection of medieval times when related to RL.

Giant spiders, dragons and acid breathing reptilians with skin of lava... the list go's on

So why not a hang glider or steam power, wurm is its own dimension.

-1 however to any form of jump, fly and/or glide etc i would rather not have it.   (flying dragons would be super cool tho)

This is all wrong, except the -1 part, I agree that we shouldnt fly in Wurm.

This is all wrong, except the -1 part, I agree that we shouldnt fly in Wurm.

meh

Ideas:

1. Make jumping a skill.

What does it do?

This makes it possible to jump from one til to another. However this only works when there is one tile missing inbetween and there is no fence/wall/whatever on the border of both tiles. Also the tile has to be on precisely the same level as you are standing on. This CAN be ground that's not flat but to find that is nearly impossible. When you click on the border of a tile there is an option (jump). You will then try to jump from one tile to another. Your amount of skill determines the chance of succes when jumping. If you failed: "You jump, but you miss." and you will fall all the way down between the two tiles til you touch the ground. Also with high enough skills you can jump further. With a max of 3 tiles. Jumping once takes all your stamina and you have to regain first.

1 tile - skill from 0 --> 70

2 tiles - skill from 70 --> 90

3 tiles - skill from 90 --> 100 message: "You feel like you can fly, poorly you only jump."

This enables parkour (sort of) and helps you cross some things like ravines or canals. I know this would also unlock more pvp advantages but there is still a lot to do against it.

2. A glider made out of dragon scale or hide. examine: "This material looks a little bit magical and would be perfect to fly with." Has a huge decay rate. You can fly up (one house wall high) 4 times by pressing S which would normally be backwards. The item decays with 20 damage every time you do this. Also the decay rate is 0.5 damage per second when you fly. This means that you have 200 seconds of flytime when you don't use S and 40 seconds if you use all 4 of them. Thereafter it will decay and when still in the sky you will fall down. Not repairable or improvable.

Let the critics or suggestions rain on me :D.