Sign in to follow this  
Hackett

Xanadu Location Names

I will post a survey on the 28th so people can vote on some of these names

So whenever I see someone talking about location its "North West" or "Big lake near Whitefay" ect. I think some thought should be put into naming things. I don't know how names for lakes and bays got developed in the past but perhaps we could come up with some names here and then put a poll up on them and then ask MamaDarkness to add it to her "Official" map?

Marked some of the major Lakes and Bays for reference. If anyone has any suggestions I will document and we can later vote

Lakes

• A - Running Bear Lake (Nievette);
  • B - Lake Vrock (Eobersig)
  • C - Iron Lake(Nachtmahr); Fogshore Lake (bp1986)
  • D - Ageless Lake (Hackett)
  • E - Hammer Lake (Deathly)
  • F - Dream Lake (Borzom); Sheltered Sea (Shezbek); Loch Greymist (geode); The Puddle (Trooper)
  • G - Maiden Lake (williamwierd); Maw lake (Lostone)
  • H - Coral Lake (masterqgj)
  • I - Summerholt Lake (Huserx); Summerloch (Arson)
  • J - Wolf's Head Lake (Lyandar)

Bays/Inlets/Fjords

• 1 - Horseshoe bay (Calypsoi); Eagle Hook Fjord (Righteous); Black Water Bay (islixana); Endless Inlet (Lostone)
  • 2 - Bay of Hope (Etherdrifter);
  • 3 - West Lormere Bay (Tasolth)
  • 4 - Wild Horse Fjord (Amber); East Lormere Bay (Ruger)
  • 5 - Sea of Silence (KryoKitten); Lost Bay (Nephilim); Bacon Bay (Crack)
  • 6 - Merchants Bay (Devily); Mare Nostrum (Mordraug); Vulcan Shallows (Ryamu); Mare Hanseatic (Withold); Thunder Bay (Arson)
  • 7 - Bay of Souls (KMan); Pristine Bay (rapidron)
  • 8 - Aisén Fjords (BloodCrystal); Whiskey Bay (Mavv35)
  • 9 - Serpent Bay (Valoria)

Mountain Ranges

• M1 - Richway Ridge (Ryamu)
  • M2 - Velkiran Mountains (Ryamu)
  • M3 - Mount Nyriandiol (Etherdrifter)
  • M4 - Serpent's Spine (Ryamu)

Island/Isle

• I1 - Newspring Island
  • I2 - Twinpeak Isle (Etherdrifter)
  •  

NEXFzAp.jpg?1

I also think the map would benefit from Provinces to reference areas, I marked some off but its random and I'm sure its something that could change based on Alliances and such

Temperately named the provinces after their starter "cities" for the time being. tried to base boarders on natural boarders such as mountain ranges and large lakes, tried to imagine how people would migrate in the contentment. Entirely up to interpretation and I expect changes and feedback but wanted to start with something.

lwzWtby.jpg?1

EDIT:

• 6/21 Updated Names and Map
  • 6/22 Added Mountain Ranges and Island list but wont mark on map until named
  • 6/24 tons of updated along with updated province map
Edited by Hackett
  • Like 1

An alliance map would be interesting, although the only problem with that is people tend to have alliances spread out over large portions of the map rather than sticking to one single area.

We could toy around with the idea of a province map based upon area alliances as that sounds great! ;)

Edited by Xallo

i live in bay 3.  and if we decide to name hi-ways  the one from Lormere to the west coast. a straight line i'd like to name it  the Dark Hi-way  as  it stretches my 3 deeds names darkhold ....   over 250 tiles long.  the rest of the hi-way is mostly in  Lormere and its perimeter  . i thought darkhold hi-way but it i ever quit or disband then just Dark hi-way

and why dark other then the darkhold names. well. ;-)   i have 3 of 5 Hots towers build.  600 actions from finishing the 4th tower.   i thought the Dark hi-way or Darkhold hi-way would fit well  . 

our area had an alliance name too  :  about half the size of the province you show.  map in the link http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/103668-new-dawn-alliance-%E2%80%A2-south-west-bay/ New Dawn Alliance • south-west bay     i dont think they would want to be the full size of the province but who knows.  great bunch of folks

Hackett i really like this offering of suggestions..nice ideas    you seem like you have some census, GIS, or cartography background

Edited by Banarashi

we've been calling lake A 'running bear lake' since thats kinda what it looks like :X

I guess that the provinces need to get improved. I think that we should instead separate the map into portions in this way:

Center - West- East - North - South - SW - SE - NW - NE

For that you just need to change a few of the borders you already made

I guess that the provinces need to get improved. I think that we should instead separate the map into portions in this way:

Center - West- East - North - South - SW - SE - NW - NE

For that you just need to change a few of the borders you already made

Like this?

49F7hLW.jpg

Where you have the number 1 is actually a lake, seperated largely from the bay...The bay is known as Horseshoe bay, and the lake at number 1 is Maiden Lake.

• Like 1

Where you have the number 1 is actually a lake, seperated largely from the bay...The bay is known as Horseshoe bay, and the lake at number 1 is Maiden Lake.

The Map is misleading then, thanks. I will update and add names shortly

qSeF4rn.png

You seem to have missed a bay out.....

R20/S20 should be called Serpent Bay, since the Sea Serpent is forever there, and we have been calling it that for a couple of weeks now.

Fleur and Pendragon.

• Like 1

I live in bay 7. I call it the Bay of Souls.

Lake E is home to Hammer lake alliance due to it looking like a giant hammer.

2&3 are actually the same bay.  The map is quite misleading.

Might be nice to call them "bay of hope" since a lot of people seem to have settled there and set their hopes high.

• Like 1

2&3 are actually the same bay.  The map is quite misleading.

Might be nice to call them "bay of hope" since a lot of people seem to have settled there and set their hopes high.

Thanks for clearing that up, updated

Oh, nice names coming out. I really like them!

4 just looks like a fish hook to me. Not sure it's technically a bay though. Maybe an inlet or a fjord?

Mountain ranges could be named and perhaps some island clusters. Don't see any desert spaces that have enough pixel space to hold a name.

Newspring Isle in the very south west is quite an obvious name for that land mass.

I'm living on an island in your lake B that we call Lake Vrock (and the island is the Crocodile Isle). The small island north of Crocodile Isle is known as Scorpion Point. The mountain immediately south of Lake Vrock is Mount Roundabout, cause one has to go around it to get to Vrocks' Landing on horse. :)

Edit: As to your provinces: I don't really like that apart from one all provinces are at the coast. I get the feeling that all population centers on Xanadu will be at the coast - and the hinterland will be sparsely populated for the time being. I'd like that to be referenced in the provinces, so that one can immediately tell who's a city dweller and who's living in the wild. You also picked bodies of water as borders, I'd rather you pick mountain ranges cause those are much more difficult to cross than lakes and coastal waters.

Edited by Eobersig

I'm living on an island in your lake B that we call Lake Vrock (and the island is the Crocodile Isle). The small island north of Crocodile Isle is known as Scorpion Point. The mountain immediately south of Lake Vrock is Mount Roundabout, cause one has to go around it to get to Vrocks' Landing on horse. :)

Edit: As to your provinces: I don't really like that apart from one all provinces are at the coast. I get the feeling that all population centers on Xanadu will be at the coast - and the hinterland will be sparsely populated for the time being. I'd like that to be referenced in the provinces, so that one can immediately tell who's a city dweller and who's living in the wild. You also picked bodies of water as borders, I'd rather you pick mountain ranges cause those are much more difficult to cross than lakes and coastal waters.

Thanks. don't see the island you are referring too, if its too small for the map then we probably shouldn't include it. which mountains are you referring too? maybe you could take a screenshot of your map and circle them?

Edit: oh and will work on a new province boarders, the mountains ideas make sense but not sure about the coastal provinces idea, not sure im understanding it.

Edited by Hackett

2/3 are the same "bay" but I think should be named differently to reflect the map. We can't zoom in far enough to see that there is a river connecting the two. We already mark on the map that its a canal too. 

6 is kind of a sea of its own....... I tend to call it "Mare Nostrum" ("Our Sea", old Roman name for the Mediterranean)