Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kinver22

Fishing net

I like the idea, I also wish for it to be added. However, I think the bigger fish should be for the fishing rod for balance purposes. Wemp needs to become more useful...

Perhaps fishing nets could be used to fish while sailing without interrupting the fishing action from getting too far away from the starting tile.  Maybe such nets can ONLY be used while in a boat and are able to catch a few (3) fish per action instead of just one per action like a pole does.  Just like fishing line has a chance to break a net should have that same chance and once it breaks you lose any fish that were currently caught in it, and the net disappears from your inventory.  The lower your fishing skill the lower ql and size of fish you catch.  Would require moderate ropemaking skill to make the net.  Just some ideas???

Edit:  More specifically the fishing net could require 2 cordage ropes, 8 regular ropes, and 20 strings of cloth.  Perhaps a ropemaking skill of 25 is needed to have a creation chance.

Edited by Slickshot

Don't you just love it when people bump threads from 8 YEARS AGO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zekezor said:

Don't you just love it when people bump threads from 8 YEARS AGO.

If someone bumps an old thread people cry about thread necroing, if they make a new thread they are told "this has been suggested, learn to use the search"

The only winning move is not to play.

Edited by Depends
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Depends said:

If someone bumps an old thread people cry about thread necroing, if they make a new thread they are told "this has been suggested, learn to use the search"

When you play by your own rules you win every time.  Anyhow, while perusing the crypt I found this thread and it seemed like such a useful idea that was never expanded upon, so I did my creative duty and resurrected it. :)  Perhaps we can get some ideas flowing?

On 22/4/2016 at 10:12 PM, Depends said:

The only winning move is to ignore all those foolish opinions and just do whatever you feel is right for you.

Hmm, Maybe if fishing with a net was usable to catch particular types of fish not available to fishing rod users. Or something else that would make them necessary.

I made a decent living for years catching fish in Wurm on Indy. When the population was high there were quite a few people looking to purchase large quantities of fish, I'm assuming it was for grinding cooking and butchering.

But, Anything that gets me out fishing sounds good to me.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2016 at 11:31 AM, Nightbreed said:

Hmm, Maybe if fishing with a net was usable to catch particular types of fish not available to fishing rod users. Or something else that would make them necessary.

I made a decent living for years catching fish in Wurm on Indy. When the population was high there were quite a few people looking to purchase large quantities of fish, I'm assuming it was for grinding cooking and butchering.

But, Anything that gets me out fishing sounds good to me.

If definitely be more inclined to sail around if I could net fish in the process.

Hmm must have been another old fishing thread I mentioned spears being usable in fishing in some capacity. Also dmg bonus to sea life.

Harpoons and ship-mounted ballista?

I would love cast nets for catching more smaller fish, or maybe special fish

• Like 1

Could be allowed to be set in the water if deed owned area, leave for 12-24 game hours.

Randomly catch 1-10 fish - depending on ql of net and fishing skill.

Slight chance of breaking (needing repair) - losing the fish

Slight chance of losing the net to the tides. - losing the fish and the net.

If left for more than 24 hrs, chance of losing the net or fish goes up per hour based on net ql and fishing skill giving a bonus to this not happening.

Rare activity when harvesting for a rare fish.

36 minutes ago, Saicotic said:

Could be allowed to be set in the water if deed owned area, leave for 12-24 game hours.

Randomly catch 1-10 fish - depending on ql of net and fishing skill.

Slight chance of breaking (needing repair) - losing the fish

Slight chance of losing the net to the tides. - losing the fish and the net.

If left for more than 24 hrs, chance of losing the net or fish goes up per hour based on net ql and fishing skill giving a bonus to this not happening.

Rare activity when harvesting for a rare fish.

I absolutely do NOT like the idea of fishing while logged out, as that would go completely against the dynamics of Wurm.  This net should only be used while on a ship, and not while on the ground, and should only be able to catch a limited number of fish before being full--let's say 3-5.

Edited by Slickshot

6 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

I absolutely do NOT like the idea of fishing while logged out, as that would go completely against the dynamics of Wurm.  This net should only be used while on a ship, and not while on the ground, and should only be able to catch a limited number of fish before being full--let's say 3-5.

It would be similar dynamics as farming. I do not see how that is completely against the current dynamics of Wurm. And I was not saying not to use on a ship just an added "dynamic" to go along with it. one would be an active method the other would allow those with water area deeded to fish in a less active nature. The quantity would be decided by the development team. My numbers were just thrown out there as an example.

1 minute ago, Saicotic said:

It would be similar dynamics as farming. I do not see how that is completely against the current dynamics of Wurm. And I was not saying not to use on a ship just an added "dynamic" to go along with it. one would be an active method the other would allow those with water area deeded to fish in a less active nature. The quantity would be decided by the development team. My numbers were just thrown out there as an example.

There is a big difference.  Farming MUST work the way it does, as it cannot work any other way and be logical.  Fishing does NOT have to work in such a way, and so I do not think it should work in such a way.  That makes sense right?  As it is now, a person can queue up actions and afk fish, but they cannot fish while logged out.  That seems balanced to me.  A fishing net would exist to supplement players who want to fish while traveling.  Call it a quality of life thing, or just something to make sailing a little more interesting and worth while.

I am not disagreeing with you on that aspect. My only disagreement is your dynamics argument.

Which is not true, as for your opinion on how net fishing should exist is a good opinion just not the only the one.

As an added note: There are a few people I know who breed cows and other domestic animals solely for the meat. I was thinking this would give them an alternative to an active method of acquiring meat. Hunting and fishing being active method vs what I suggested or breeding.

Edited by Saicotic
note added.

29 minutes ago, Saicotic said:

I am not disagreeing with you on that aspect. My only disagreement is your dynamics argument.

Which is not true, as for your opinion on how net fishing should exist is a good opinion just not the only the one.

As an added note: There are a few people I know who breed cows and other domestic animals solely for the meat. I was thinking this would give them an alternative to an active method of acquiring meat. Hunting and fishing being active method vs what I suggested or breeding.

Let's just say that net fishing while logged out will leave a very bad taste in my mouth, and I'm sure the same could be said by many other players as well.  An opinion, no doubt, but a strong one.

13 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Let's just say that net fishing while logged out will leave a very bad taste in my mouth, and I'm sure the same could be said by many other players as well.  An opinion, no doubt, but a strong one.

That is quite possibly true, my thoughts are why limit the players. If you do not like static net fishing then do not use it. imo the game would benefit with either and a larger benefit if it had both. Giving us options is almost always a good thing. I could see active net fishing give much better rewards then static net placement. Also I posted 24 game hours which would be 8 hrs our time so they would have to check it daily at the least and 3 times a day at the most.

Any way either of them would be nice, not that I would use them as I live inland and hate using the boats because every time I need to the weather is light breeze or gale in the direction I need to go :D

43 minutes ago, Saicotic said:

That is quite possibly true, my thoughts are why limit the players. If you do not like static net fishing then do not use it. imo the game would benefit with either and a larger benefit if it had both. Giving us options is almost always a good thing. I could see active net fishing give much better rewards then static net placement. Also I posted 24 game hours which would be 8 hrs our time so they would have to check it daily at the least and 3 times a day at the most.

Any way either of them would be nice, not that I would use them as I live inland and hate using the boats because every time I need to the weather is light breeze or gale in the direction I need to go :D

Weather is trash, yes, but I'd be more inclined to travel in bad winds if I had a fishing net to accompany me. :)

since there are shafts and string, if they had weaving as a skill, then I could see the making of nets. Could also make crab and lobster traps, with fish net. Also with shafts, could create tidal fish traps as there are few places along the coast where there is shallow water and you can see the fish nearby. They could have it that the tidal fish trap suffers damage when there is a storm, if not repaired, then you will lose the tidal fish trap.

7 hours ago, Aszhrae said:

since there are shafts and string, if they had weaving as a skill, then I could see the making of nets. Could also make crab and lobster traps, with fish net. Also with shafts, could create tidal fish traps as there are few places along the coast where there is shallow water and you can see the fish nearby. They could have it that the tidal fish trap suffers damage when there is a storm, if not repaired, then you will lose the tidal fish trap.

I don't think a new skill would be necessary.  Regular old ropemaking should be plenty. :)

Keep this thread flowing--this suggestion needs attention. 

I only, just realized, that wemp, is hemp.

I can be oblivious sometimes.

Having wemp allows for many possibilities. The fiber not just for the making of rope, but fabric also. It is one of the main materials needed in the building of boats, which often, had small rope soaked in a thin tar and then placed between thin gaps between boat planks. Tar was used to coat the inside of a ship's hull.

Since this about nets.

Tar applied to a net, if nets were available for crafting, could enable another trap. Bit nasty if fire was also used.

Wemp is the resource for the making of nets, but heavy rope for open water net fishing. Wemp would need to be woven at a smaller gauge than what is currently available for a net that would be carried in a backpack or cart. Even thrown, like Piscean gladiator of the Roman circus.

Nets have many uses as well, not just for fishing or big game traps. They were used in conjunction with inflated animal stomachs, as a flotation device, attached to nets. Historical Greek murals in mosaic, with nets that had floater attached to the nets while drawing a catch in between boats or pulled toward the shoreline from shore.

With nets, could also make it possible for ships to have those rope ladders (don't have the name) that go up to the crow's nest.