Sign in to follow this  
loenabelle

Water - Above water level

It would be great if we could have water on tiles above water level. 

For this we would need to have a slope check (water will not stay on a flat tile). Next, water will not flow over the edge of the hole that it's dropped in. Will spread if another sloped tile is connected. The tile that it's dropped on can't be a normal tile. This means that there has to be a water solid tile (don't know a name yet). This can be made by maybe mixing stone clay etc and other materials or use an existing tile form. If such a tile were to be deleted or there is no longer a slope the water will dissappear. You need to drop at least 10kg of water at once to make this work per layer of water.

For short as this may not be clear:

1. Dig a hole (size doesn't matter as long as the bottom of the hole is all the same level)

2. Cover sides and bottom with stone of some sort.

3. Drop at least 10kg of water at once per layer (level) this duplicates per tile. So for a 6 tiles big hole you'd have to drop 6 x 10=60 kg of water per layer. This will raise the water level in the entire hole by one. This also limits the size of the hole as at some point it's hard to get the right amount of water in.

4. Upon deletion of one of the stone tiles all water will flow away "you make a hole and the water flows away" 

This way you could make ponds, moats, lakes, fountains, canals way easier than when digging down to water level. And you could create it on mountains too.

Also there would have to be a floodgate/mills to control water level in different "water holes" with these you can connect them and pump water up and down a hole. Dredges could also be used to fill holes or control levels.

Suggestions, critics or simple no's or yes's?

• Like 4

Not easy to implent water dynamics like this in oldish games, but they did say that it's an future goal to some day have more than a flat water surface.

Im sure everyone wants to be able to make their own mountain lakes/rivers one day. Also it would make sailing a lot more better as you said =)

• Like 1

I just want to make a nice pond or lake on the top of the mountain...and a few waterfalls won't go  astray either.  Even just for looks, would be awesome.

• Like 1

As a Druid of the conclave, I demand this be implemented immediately!

In the next twelve hours this better be added, or there shall be war!

As a Druid of the conclave, I demand this be implemented immediately!

You know you're basically asking for a number of existing deeds to submerge after the update? Much like those big dam projects that flood a valley and its inhabitants? That's not very druid-like. :P

We probably need a new server for this, and 3D everything.

Edited by Marshlander

How about this for an idea...we have wells and fountains that 'fill up' at water locations, perhaps we could have a 'pond' on those spots.  It could look like the stone curb we can create now, only instead of a straight line, it's in an oddly uneven circle with small lily pads or something in it.   Not the same as a mountain lake, but a neat way to bring water to areas in a decorative way that Fo himself would love.  :D

You know you're basically asking for a number of existing deeds to submerge after the update? Much like those big dam projects that flood a valley and its inhabitants? That's not very druid-like. :P

We probably need a new server for this, and 3D everything.

Sucks to be them, both of my deeds are higher then everything around em. ;P

But nah, I'm basically thinking no flowing water (I don't think wurm could pull that off. Even landmark right now, which is voxel, was having trouble with that. They've for it working supposedly, but I can't see that working period for wurm)

So if I'm reading this suggestion right, what you are suggesting would come down to digging a hole, paving the sides/floor with something special, which turns it into a water basin? Any water dropped in it then stays in it, if the basin is incomplete then the water flows away, vanishing?

If so then I think that's a good idea, as the concerns raised in this topic like deeds being flooded would never apply, as the water can only exist inside the basin. But I'd probably simplify it a bit myself, for example maybe remove the digging a hole part entirely. Instead make the basin a special floor option. For example make it something you can build on a flat tile (just like how walls are build on borders), when constructed on a tile it takes up the entire tile. The tile must be at least X dirt above rock. Once finished the tile would look like a pond, so a hole with water, but this would simply be an illusion. There is no actual hole there, as far as the game is concerned the land is quite flat. Also make the edges a bit higher (imagine the basin keeping the water inside with a small rock wall), so it functions like a wall, preventing you from walking into it (keeping up the illusion of there being a hole filled with water. As if you could walk on it then you'd notice that the land is flat, you'd effectively be walking on water..). If you put two such basins on adjacent tiles then they reshape to form one complete basin, allowing for the modular construction of ponds of any size/shape.

Then there could be many of such basin tiles, some which have the water at different heights so waterfalls can be formed, some with bridges on them (requiring bridge functionality to be complete obviously) so you can cross the pond, some with round corners so they don't take up the entire square, etc.

This way the pond is effectively made out of in game models placed on top of flat land, just like statues, benches, etc, except that you can no longer walk on the tile unless it's a basin tile with a bridge. It's an illusion, but it looks like the real deal.

Now I have no idea if that is possible, but if so then it could be a nice alternative to having actual water dynamics.

• Like 1

So if I'm reading this suggestion right, what you are suggesting would come down to digging a hole, paving the sides/floor with something special, which turns it into a water basin? Any water dropped in it then stays in it, if the basin is incomplete then the water flows away, vanishing?

If so then I think that's a good idea, as the concerns raised in this topic like deeds being flooded would never apply, as the water can only exist inside the basin. But I'd probably simplify it a bit myself, for example maybe remove the digging a hole part entirely. Instead make the basin a special floor option. For example make it something you can build on a flat tile (just like how walls are build on borders), when constructed on a tile it takes up the entire tile. The tile must be at least X dirt above rock. Once finished the tile would look like a pond, so a hole with water, but this would simply be an illusion. There is no actual hole there, as far as the game is concerned the land is quite flat. Also make the edges a bit higher (imagine the basin keeping the water inside with a small rock wall), so it functions like a wall, preventing you from walking into it (keeping up the illusion of there being a hole filled with water. As if you could walk on it then you'd notice that the land is flat, you'd effectively be walking on water..). If you put two such basins on adjacent tiles then they reshape to form one complete basin, allowing for the modular construction of ponds of any size/shape.

Then there could be many of such basin tiles, some which have the water at different heights so waterfalls can be formed, some with bridges on them (requiring bridge functionality to be complete obviously) so you can cross the pond, some with round corners so they don't take up the entire square, etc.

This way the pond is effectively made out of in game models placed on top of flat land, just like statues, benches, etc, except that you can no longer walk on the tile unless it's a basin tile with a bridge. It's an illusion, but it looks like the real deal.

Now I have no idea if that is possible, but if so then it could be a nice alternative to having actual water dynamics.

This seems nice. Although it was also meant for boats or ppl to swim in but meh screw that we don't put boats in real ponds either. I need some suggestions like yours :D. Also thanks for clearing up the idea.

How about this instead:

using <item>, you do similar to a house plan and mark out the shape for a pond/lake. <skill> determines how many tiles it can be just like houses, but you can't have donut ponds. Edges need to be flat all the way round in order to succeed, and <using new bridge dynamics?> no land covered by the plan can be higher than that edge. Then when complete, you finalise, add water, and it forms a local water level similar to floors in houses, except at -x dirts instead of +x dirts from planned edge.

This would give us a relatively easy, though limited, way of doing it without actually requiring flowing water mechanics that will cause disasters and destroy the server processors or whatever.

• Like 1

+1

Im thinking a Waterfall would look awesome ingame.

Maybe can keep the current water level system, and ontop of that add a new mechanic like "Fresh Spring Water"

We have allready water tiles that we find with a Pendilum.

Instead of placing a fountain or Well ontop of that tile we can maybe craft a new item: Water Source.

That constantly pour out water on that heightlevel, and fresh water flows downwards maybe 10 tiles.

Im picturing in my mind a mountain with a water tile, and water flowing over a 200 high cliffside, and lands on bottom of cliffside into a small pond.

And if you dont like it where u live, just grab a large maul and destroy it.

• Like 1

+1

Im thinking a Waterfall would look awesome ingame.

Maybe can keep the current water level system, and ontop of that add a new mechanic like "Fresh Spring Water"

We have allready water tiles that we find with a Pendilum.

Instead of placing a fountain or Well ontop of that tile we can maybe craft a new item: Water Source.

That constantly pour out water on that heightlevel, and fresh water flows downwards maybe 10 tiles.

Im picturing in my mind a mountain with a water tile, and water flowing over a 200 high cliffside, and lands on bottom of cliffside into a small pond.

And if you dont like it where u live, just grab a large maul and destroy it.

XD good idea.

+1 if pond is like an construction. There could be then special tools for terraforming and terraforming skill. Unfinished ponds could maybe be stored of course and traded. Adding the last dirt or something makes it stick to the ground where it then happens to be. So pond could be also destroyed by large maul or maybe a dredge. Maybe several bonds could be combined to make small mountain lake? 

Do it I want to build a castle with a moat and a draw bridge mabey have a croc in it lol

• Like 1

seems like the easiest way of doing this is fakeing it

basically a tile that looks like water but only is 5 slope deep with a mix of concreted bricks and water to make

then it would effect the water level just allow water look

+1 but only for the idea to treat ponds like a new construction/building type, my recommendation for that would be that the starting square must be a spring... require digging and leveling and lining with some rocks etc... well worth all the work to have a pretty pond far from normal water elevation, and a shorter trek for water and (shallow) fishing.

And if done as buildings it would allow them to do updates to the system over time to allow "sloped brook" and so on as new sections of pond to cater to desires for streams and waterfalls, eventually.

history lesson time

once upon a time there was a guy who was really smart, that guy got permission to work on free flowing water(rivers lakes that kinda thing) and he got it close to working but the only reason we do not have it today is because he and rolf started to have an argument because of some silly stuff and rolf's refusal to back down so the guy took his code and quit the game and the community

we where || that close to having it years ago so if someone can get a hold of that guy and hope to god he still has it it can save months of work ;)