Sign in to follow this  
Gurkin

Fogshore cave canal project @ j 12-13

Just an update and order of things needed to be done on the Fogshore cave canal

The canal will be three tiles across with ramps every so often and a foot path on the north side when finished. The south side has already been mined out as shown down below minus the veins. The reason being is we had to move the center of the canal over one because it came out on a corner of a clay tile so we just went with it. The finished canal will look like a octagon with ramps every so often on the north to get up onto the raised foot/cart path. Its just under 2 km long from east to west.

We ask that you strictly keep to this order please

1 Tunnel through the length of the cave canal making a temporary path from east to west (not including veins)

2 Make proper foot/cart path (not including veins)

3 Mine all remaining rock tiles on canal path

4 Mine all veins on canal path and foot path (the foot path section can be completed after 5 and 6 ) - in progress

5 Mine on the center tile for the roof of canal (this must be done before the mining the floor, to insure the roof is as high as possible)

6 Mine only the center tile floor of the canal

7 Punch view holes / ramps from canal to the above foot path

8 Reinforce cave walls / cast strongwall

9 Finishing touches - put concrete on the foot/cart path, placing lamps, statues, etc

We welcome any assistance with the project. Feel free to take any materials that are excavated. If you need to contact our village for more info you can contact; Gurkin, Battlepants, or Figs.

EWf8jv8.jpg

Edited by Gurkin
  • Like 2

+1 for making a well planned list

every canal should be planned step by step like this =)

Goodluck.

• Like 1

When I first saw this I kind of shook my head thinking about how long this thing was going to be, but you're already making excellent progress.

I helped some with the Kinoss canal and it sounds like a similar model (an excellent canal example for builders).  I may drop by to help someday but too many other projects at the moment to make any promises and it's a bit of a hike from my deed.

Good luck.

Just a quick update having just finished mining the remaining rock tiles in the way! - We are going to try and knock out the veins in the center row of the canal path first. 

What kind of veins are there?

Few copper, tons of marble and iron at the western end of the canal.

Edited by Gurkin

Few copper, tons of marble and iron at the western end of the canal.

What quality on the copper? We're looking for high imping vein and not having any luck. I can dispatch one my high end miners to blow up good veins.

[05:46:29] You would mine copper ore here.

[05:46:29] It is of good quality.

[05:46:29] The ore is starting to deplete.

67ql

how big is canal for now? and what kind of ship i can go thru?

how big is canal for now? and what kind of ship i can go thru?

Edited by Gurkin

West entrance of Fogshore Cave Canal (Ship Entrance) has collapsed into rock tile.

Edited by geode

Steps 4 through 8 are finished.  The canal is now sailable.

Workers involved in this last leg include:  Asciana, Conditusviper, Depends, Katahl, Mawej, Noizhead, Rychus, Serpentarius, Thorgot.

By virtue of being up against the main canal, the south side of the footpath is reinforced.  Finishing that can be the job of another crew.

Edited by Noizhead
  • Like 2

I'm curious... about how many tiles long is this canal? I'm contemplating a project covering about the same length on the map. Btw, outstanding job to all involved!

Thanks to the crew who came in and helped finish the canal. Work had been quite slow recently, as only a few people who lived nearby were working on it (Briconnet, Neville, Miccael, Qdlaty, myself).

I'm curious... about how many tiles long is this canal? I'm contemplating a project covering about the same length on the map. Btw, outstanding job to all involved!

It's just short of 500 tiles long.

Edited by LaRue

Yipe! I really liked someone elses estimate that whole map tile was about 250 small tiles! hehehe

Looking again, I think my project is only slightly more than half a map tiles... so I was liking the 125 or so idea! Thanks for the reply :)

I haven't used a hip transporter yet... When loaded, does it care about ceiling height on the walking path?

awesome job on the power push to complete the shipping section of the canal! By chance is the foot part fully ridable on cart or horse?

There is a tunnel just next to the ship tunnel which is fully traversable you just need to slalom around the ore veins :-)

• Like 1

Yipe! I really liked someone elses estimate that whole map tile was about 250 small tiles! hehehe

Looking again, I think my project is only slightly more than half a map tiles... so I was liking the 125 or so idea! Thanks for the reply :)

I am pretty confident that a single Xanadu map grid is 400x400 tiles, which just happens to fit the math to make Xanadu's map 32x32km, which includes a little bit of ocean around the borders.

1 tile = 4m x 4m (and 40 dirt high in the case of a normal cave tile - or so I believe)

1 grid = 400x400 tiles = 1600m x 1600m

I did a lot of testing with my spyglass and huge mapping projects and it all fits nicely.

Edited by Wurmhole

I haven't used a hip transporter yet... When loaded, does it care about ceiling height on the walking path?

No, it doesn't.

awesome job on the power push to complete the shipping section of the canal! By chance is the foot part fully ridable on cart or horse?

Yeah, but the path isn't fully reinforced yet, so it sometimes caves in. If that happens, you can actually drive a cart on the shallow edge of the canal for its entire length, and there are periodic entrances between the walkway and canal.

• Like 1

I passed through Fogshore with my Corbita. The only issue I ran into was a strip of land blocking the entrance from the lake (east side of tunnel). We had to push the Coribta over that strip of land and then through the entrance. I'm guessing someone will dredge it eventually if it hasn't already been done. I don't think it's been an issue for Knarrs. Either way, I can confirm the Corbita sails through the tunnel without a hitch.

• Like 1

When mining outside, you can't mine down very far in the water on stone... when in a tunnel can you mine down deeper since it's not surface mining?

I initially 'mined down' and it looks like I'm about 3/4 of a tile (vertically) deep which I'm assuming is on the order of 30 dirts deep or so... if you mine the floor down can you get to that same depth?

If I understand your post correctly, the problem with my mining down right away like that is I won't be able to mine the ceiling up high enough?  I'm concerned about being able to get the bigger ships through.

Sorry for all the questions but this isn't one of those things that is easily fixable if I mess it up! hehehe

Recent talks about improving the entrance of Fogshore Canal to accommodate larger boats. In other words, lowering that rock shoal which requires someone with a Sculpting Wand.

I can assist with that. Won't be till later this week.