Sign in to follow this  
Magicmike

Xanadu needs sailing speed modifier!

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should Xanadu have increased sailing speeds?

• Yes
    • No

Absolutely love the land of Xanadu. Great job on the design but given it's size, sailing speeds NEED to be faster.

Travel and trade among the community is essential to the game and boats are most definitely a primary method of transportation, especially on a map with the size and layout of Xanadu.

A long journey by sea (by long I'm meaning numerous hours) when travelling between servers is understandable as that is a unique voyage but no one wants to spend 4-8 hours or more simply sailing to another part of Xanadu for something trivial like completing a business transaction or helping someone, etc.

There's no doubt going to be people saying "It's fine the way it is, blah blah, etc" but save you're breath. It needs to be addressed. No one wants to spend multiple hours in their boat every time they need to travel, and they shouldn't have to. Realistic or not, let's keep travel fun.

Edited by Magicmike
  • Like 2

I voted no, Simply because I think ALL servers need it, and A extreme increase at that.

• Like 3

voted no I like to hear the crying form the Chaos Island

On deli I sail maybe 15 to 20kms. But on Xana I never see 12kms :/ so we either need more speed or more wind. So I vote yes but not too extreme, it does make it rather fun sailing when it takes time to get there. Makes it feel natural.

• Like 1

Normally I'd agree completely but Xanadu is simply enormous compared to the other servers and sailing travel times are just unacceptable. No gamer should have to spend an entire gaming session of, for example, 4 hours+ doing absolutely nothing but trying to sail to a destination that may only be located a few map-tiles away. I think that will ultimately have an enormous negative impact on player retention for Xanadu.

I voted yes.

And I would agree on that for all servers.

It should be a game and not a timesink. Sailing is wasted time.

You guys are all doing it wrong if you think sailing is a waste of time, just sayin'

• Like 1

Well, that's very mature of you :)

• Like 2

Voted No.  Travel is a part of the game.  They need to fix things about sailing for sure, but generically speeding it up is not the solution.

• Like 1

I dunno, i guess I just never understood attaching warp drives to sailing ships... you know, the ships before engines of any type were invented, ships affected by the wind...

Edited by Nomadikhan

Dunno what Xanadu has to do with Chaos, but okay.

Something is only big if it feels big. Crossing xanadu in 30 minutes or an hour would completely destroy the sensation of a vast world.

• Like 3

i voted NO, unless all maps get a speed boost, your not special, you all demanded for the  map, now suffer the travel headaches, unless every map can get a speed boost, best take some days off work and suffer like the rest of us has for years.

• Like 1

i voted NO, unless all maps get a speed boost, your not special, you all demanded for the  map, now suffer the travel headaches, unless every map can get a speed boost, best take some days off work and suffer like the rest of us has for years.

Who demanded the map? Rolf appeared one day and pretty much said " Hey guys, I got this big freaking map I want to test. "

I felt I want to kill myself when crossing from exo to pristine three times yesterday.. ten hours total on the sea but I don't see Xanadu have to be entitled with a special wind. Make the world go round I would agree. Make boat speed faster, I'm wondering of the idea, because atm in gale some boats can reach 35-40kmph... which is already so fast that it fly unto mountain and stuck above.

• Like 1

I was on Xanadu earlier and someone beat me back to the dead on foot when I was in a sailboat because the wind was against me. Just increase the lower limit since when the wind is in your favour everything is fine

I was on Xanadu earlier and someone beat me back to the dead on foot when I was in a sailboat because the wind was against me. Just increase the lower limit since when the wind is in your favour everything is fine

No real point increasing the lower limit when Tacking works just the same in Wurm as it does IRL.

I felt I want to kill myself when crossing from exo to pristine three times yesterday.. ten hours total on the sea but I don't see Xanadu have to be entitled with a special wind. Make the world go round I would agree. Make boat speed faster, I'm wondering of the idea, because atm in gale some boats can reach 35-40kmph... which is already so fast that it fly unto mountain and stuck above.

Agreed on the top speeds thing as when the wind is in your favor, it's bearable. Perhaps just adjusting the minimum wind speeds would help even.

Something is only big if it feels big. Crossing xanadu in 30 minutes or an hour would completely destroy the sensation of a vast world.

I wouldn't expect to cross xanadu in 30 mins because I agree that would have negative impacts on the server, not to mention I can imagine trying to handle a boat travelling at warp speed lol.

But something needs to be done to address the obnoxiously long travel times within Xanadu. Some people may have 4-8 hours or more to spend sailing every time they need to travel but most don't. And the game won't be very fun for very long if a few days a week will be dedicated to staring at the front sails... lol

All boats need buffs, it is stupid a horse can go twice the speed of a boat, been sayin it for years.

• Like 3

Every server. But some goof is gonna post how a 9 hour boat ride is immersive.

• Like 3