Sign in to follow this  
Busted

Fo has had to lose his hold over this area!

I've not seen this before but since moving to Xanadu I have had numerous periods where I very suddenly and without explanation (that I'm aware of) where religious dominion over an area suddenly vanishes completely (not pushed aside by a stronger influence) and then returns 5 - 30 minutes later for another hour or two before repeating.

[11:18:21] Fo has had to lose his hold over this area!

[11:18:57] You no longer feel the presence of Fo.

[11:30:31] You feel the presence of Fo.

While handy for creating different religion altars on site while the former religion suddenly takes a tea break it will no doubt become disruptive during long casting sessions when every bit of faith bonus is crucial so I'm wondering if this is a genuine bug, a feature I'm not aware of (I've run 6 priests for nearly 3 years and never seen it before) or there's something entirely more sinister at play.

For the sake of clarity I'm using stone altars and not Silver/Gold ones.

Edited by Busted
  • Like 3

We got the same issue with our Vynora altar.

While handy for creating different religion altars on site while the former religion suddenly takes a tea break

I saw the same thing, looks like all the new people put a strain on the power and we had a small god power outage.  =)

• Like 1

Yup, my vyns have been flip flops for days.

Fo is angered by the rampant deforestation!

Fo is angered by the rampant deforestation!

Nobody weeps for the Olive trees. Nobody.

• Like 10

Strongest alter wins, the highest ql. my guess is another stronger altar near.

Strongest alter wins, the highest ql. my guess is another stronger altar near.

Nope, not that. Influence vanishes completely, not replaced by a stronger one. It just .. switches off .. then on again a few minutes later.

the only place Ive seen it is Xanadu - just randomly loses influence then starts up again some time later.

I can confirm this also happens to me on Xanadu,

50ql stone altar of Vynora smack bang in the middle of my deed (its about 40x40 the deed), no other altars remotely nearby (there's another vyn altar down at the coast but that's not even in local range, and they reported to have the same problem).

And sometimes Vynora just takes a hike only to come back after x amount of time.

It smells like a bug, I've never seen this happen before in any place I lived on other servers where there were other people with other altars nearby. If however not a bug, clarification as to why this happens and how to prevent it is much appreciated.

Happened to me too, but where I am there is no altar  :huh: (Xanadu)

Edited by GiuseppeP

Also have this problem on Xanadu.

Pushing the alter to a different tile does not change the situation.

The gods have forsworn never to aid Xanaduians. And have made a blood pact to send meteors down from the heavens, tremors throughout the lands, and mountains shall rise from the earth, spewing great fire over the lands...

You have been warned!

Still no word one why this is happening? It's getting to be damn annoying. 

My altar covers my deed but I am reluctant to imp it as high as I can because I have a Mag neighbor (semi neighbor). If he turns around, he leaves local. I don't know how far out a 75QL altar would reach so I don't want to test QL on this in case I cover his domain with mine.

People in Kchat were mentioning how a full restart was going to fix the problem. As far as I know this has already happened and the problem still persists.

Could we at least get some formal acknowledgement so that we know that it has been brought to attention? Or at least any kind of information? :)

Yup, still a problem. Seemed to take longer to drop than is usual but it's still gone down n up. Woe is me. I'm also pretty sure we're not getting the same actual faith bonuses (despite what is reported) as you'd expect as my cast power seems to be down a lot on average. Of course, that could just be bad luck but something smells fishy .. 

My altar covers my deed but I am reluctant to imp it as high as I can because I have a Mag neighbor (semi neighbor). If he turns around, he leaves local. I don't know how far out a 75QL altar would reach so I don't want to test QL on this in case I cover his domain with mine.

A 50 ish ql altar I had (I think it was a point or 2 above 50) went out a tad bit more than 60 tiles. That was a long time ago on Indy. Who knows what changes have been made to the code since then.

I think someone around here did a study on ranges, a search might turn something up.

Your best bet is to imp, note ql,  and then count tiles, and extrapolate from there. 

Edited by conmcb25

It's all a bit mangled tbh. I'm not even sure the faith bonus is working when influence is present.

This is just more of the same frustrating tricks that Rolf loves to pull on his player-base.  He injects features (some would call bugs) into the codebase and refuses to document them, leaving poor Wurmians playing the guessing game for months or years.  Personally, this is #1 complaint I have with this game I love.  Rolf should provide players with proper release notes and have his staff update the wiki with accurate information.  Forget the discovery aspect - it only makes some have greater advantage than others, and believe me, many that do eventually discover some new mechanic will milk it to their advantage.