Sign in to follow this  
Cista

Roads roads roads

The Valkyrie highway from J24 to J20 is almost all the way paved now, then I'll route it upward to connect to the existing Whitefay south highway thus connecting Whitefay to Valkyrie and eventually to Summerholt once that highway connects to Valkyrie. xD will look awesome when done.

I can say though from that I've already paved with 1 lane, it's already used about 1200 bricks just paving what we have currently paved, there's still 5-10 minutes inbetween the two road ends that needs paved. Am having to do it solo for a bit so paving is taking longer then I'd hoped.

Nice Ryamu, please keep us updated :)

But what do you mean by "that highway" in regards to Summerholt? Is another highway coming from Summerholt?

Greetings, fine people of Xanadu and beyond!

I bring great news!

Kf4JM48.png  

Vynora's Pike was completed today! Located and spanning f26 to f25 at the north-eastern Xanadu coast,

Vynora's Pike links the sea to the inland lake sometimes known as Aquaphobia Bay! 

The road is three tiles wide, 300+ tiles long,and flattened across the road but not along it,

so that it may follow the natural curve of the hills, but still be comfortable while on foot, hoof, or wheel!

Enclosed below is a few images of the beauty!

From the coast:

Nuu6YMB.png

In Progress:

NWUXSvH.png

View from the hill to the sea:

XuaESAW.png

Picture in progress at a foggy dawn:

hvd983B.png

View from the road onto the lake:

3HCFR1R.png

As founder and builder of this fine road,

I, Leifar, bring the knowledge of this beauty to you,

the people of this great land.

May it serve you kindly, and may Vynora's grace be with you all.

sph0SpK.png

I revisited Lormere region yesterday and found that the good people around Valley of the Damned are pushing forward with a road going NE towards central Xanadu (in P15).  

I dunno where they will be heading with this road, but for sure that community is not resting, but continuing the largest infrastructure on the server even further onwards!

Edited by Cista

Just my opinion but when I'm traveling I want to see the land around me not the steep slopes left on the sides of the road when someone tries to make it perfectly flat through a hill. True, it's not always possible to build a road without creating those "sides" but where I can I will.  

its mine as well but see for me the western part of the road(the south on the map* will be dug down and the eastern part(north on the map) where the tar is will be flattened out so in the end that wont even be there

also small update

4w3Abi4.jpg

tons of dirt to move

*Throws a penny in*

I favor the "over the hill" model, meaning if you DO cut across one, you try to keep the sides around 30 slopes or less so that a cart/horse can leave/enter the road at any point without getting stuck.   When there IS an option.. some spots yeah just gotta cut through.

*edit*

And flat transversal borders ffs.... FLAT.... FLAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAT... because my OCD that's why.  Granted, I own a shovel so nothing that can't be fixed on the go ^_^

Edited by Mordraug

Here's the current road from Lormere -> Dirtmund that myself and Ockosib have made. Green is my current plan, red is made, double wide all the way. I've already started on it. Cista will provide much more detailed information I'm sure, but here's some ghetto MS paint drawing I made.

s0VlxpS.png?1

Edited by Woovie

Lormere spawn point has now also been connected with a new massive 3-lane highway going straight south, all the way to the coast in S15. The whole thing was built by the player Madaren from the New Dawn deed down there (not to be confused with New Dawn Alliance).You can now travel from P15 to S15 on the roads.

The below map shows the broad outline of interconnecting roads as it shapes up now. The only glitch being that the road pushing NE from VotD actually passes through 2 tiles of peat which is rather sloppy.

2wru2du.jpg

And here is a screenshot from the 3-lane Madaren highway, looking north towards Lormere. This single piece of road is close to 1,000 tiles long, or 3,000 tiles paved with 3,000 stone bricks....

wXBUgbr.jpg

Edited by Cista

Before these roads get turned into not-changeable dev protected highways can the slopes please be smoothed out.

I still think this is a retarded rule... 

• Like 1

Here's the current road from Lormere -> Dirtmund that myself and Ockosib have made. Green is my current plan, red is made, double wide all the way. I've already started on it. Cista will provide much more detailed information I'm sure, but here's some ghetto MS paint drawing I made.

s0VlxpS.png?1

I already have built a highway to do the green bit :) only got the last 100 tiles to do tomorrow and it will be connected to the existing highway north of Lormere.

Has been a complete git to do, due to the Olives but was essential as travel from the west to east was a nightmare due to the Olives.

Edited by Happiness

After reviewing the vast assortment of travel construction occurring in the wonderfully beautiful lands of Xanadu despite the lack of blood I must say I am thoroughly impressed by the grand abilities of the Kingdom of Sol located on the epic cluster and it's master of design Sabotnik, a true engineer of the finest sort and fine person of interest. The roughshod shambles I have seen on this glorious server of xanadu should be rolled back until such time that a true roadbuilder may ponder accepting the grand chore. It appears that more land equals more moronish behavior and poor workmanship abound. I must appeal to the persons in charge of these random do-whats everywhere to please retire from road building and leave it to those who take pride in such efforts. I am greatly feared that without such self moderation the entire server will be a ill conceived wasteland by the years end. 

With much regard and kindness,

+youngsoldier+

tldr gg wot is goin on over der

Edited by Youngsoldier
  • Like 1

I am greatly feared

I am not convinced.

As a traveling merchant I'd lake to thank all the road builders of Xanadu, even the half-hearted ones. The fewer forests I have to brave to meet customers and suppliers the happier I am. Much appreciation.

The people of Esteron region have been very busy the past couple of weeks!

Aside from the road going south as described in the OP, there is now a whole road system connecting the east coast with the inland lakes as shown in the pic below (I didn't mark the road east to the coast)!

This network of roads is aaalmost as long as in Lormere region, and through some very charming areas along the lakes and through rural grasslands. I know a couple of those players that have built the western roads are Masakaa and Lavrans.  Great job!

TRXyF6m.jpg

Road along the lake (or bay?) west of Esteron. This is also by far the longest coastal road in Xanadu, given the abundance of clay and cliffs makes it hard to make reasonable coastal roads:

7zTfktf.jpg

The end of the road from Esteron at the westernmost lake:

8xVEtqi.jpg

Edited by Cista

After 10k bricks have been laid, the Valkyrie highway has finally been connected to Whitefey! The black outline in the pic below is more or less accurate for the east-west highway made by the guys from Valkyrie Landing - the connection happened around August 1st..

The highway is now connected to the roads that already existed near Whitefay, including the road from June 20th going southwest as described in my opening post (blue arrow below).

Also connected is a road going further east of Valkyrie landing to the deed New Mortopolis - the other blue arrow below. This road was built by mayor Mortommes and leads right up over the top of the peninsula you can see there.

All in all this road network now covers 5 straight map tiles!

n0P3KEm.jpg

Edited by Cista

Here is a view from the spectacular road up to the New Mortopolis deed, looking back in a westly direction.

The Valkyrie Landing deed is in the bay in the left corner of this pic. The major parts of the Valkyrie Highway run through the flat steppes and valleys seen behind the bay, and far beyond the mountains to Whitefay. 

woVbTa6.jpg

Edited by Cista

In the Lormere region they have also been building more and more roads (blue arrows below). Most exctiting is the continuation towards northeast. Iceddragon and other people from that region already have more roads built further up north in the Flintlock(?) Lake area, and these will soon be joined to the existing network.

For now though, it is Whitefay and eastern Xanadu that has the longest fully paved road system!

Also note that the VotD market area itself is still not connected to *anything* by a paved road, in any direction. The black road that is marked on the community map is not a road although a road has been prepared for several months - and it will probably look great in the end :)

o75EJHU.jpg

Edited by Cista

xP nice updates lol,

for those who didn't know the following are all those who worked hard on the Valkyrie - Whitefay highway:

Ryamu - tree cutting and paving

Sassimanx - initial layout and paving

Mortemmes - Terraforming, tree cutting, and paving 

Karkitty - tree cutting and terraforming

Troncmaster - tree cutting and terraforming

Silenceii - tree cutting

Caroligan - terraforming, paving, tree cutting

And credit to those who completed the branch near "The Hound" to Whitefay itself! idk all their names lol

Great work on that everyone, was definitely worth the effort we all put into it (I'm Sassimanx no confusion lol)

Big thanks to Mort for fixing up Loki's Pass ramp too, that took him a lot of time around that mountain. The rest of us really had no idea how to do that one xP

Edited by Ryamu

The Linton North highway has now reached the bay area at Black Hill and other deeds in J11. 

On the other side of Linton, there are also road systems going south, but these remain rather poor and fragmented.

Overall the road systems of Linton region is therefore still not on par with the longest roads of Whitefey and Lormere.  

Meanwhile, there is a whole separate road system that has developed in the southwest landmass between the Linton region and VotD and Lormere, and the whole western part of Xanadu might be connected by cobbles and slab before very long!

Edited by Cista

On the other side of Linton, there are also road systems going south, but these remain rather poor and fragmented.

Guess i am going to pave/finish that so it at least connect with the road i made.

I walked a long distance today!

The north-south roads of western Xanadu, as they can be seen on this map have now come nicely together, except in 4 places:

1) on south side of Linton is the deed Linton Market, where road is under construction

2) north of Hammer Lake is a single tile oddly overgrown with grass.

3) the bit northwest of VotD is desert with no road yet

4) east of VotD is a messy road with grass

When these bits are fixed, you can drive a wagon on paved roads all the way from Linton Bay area to Xanadu south coast.

As it stands, the road from Xanadu east coast, over Valkyrie Highway to Whitefey and the “Dream Lake†in J20, is still the longest distance you can travel on roads.

Here's a couple of pics from the really amaaazing road west around Hammer Lake - who made these roads?

This is the view looking north from a southern mountain pass and north towards Hammer Lake, which is up there somewhere but you can't see it:

03mG6qH.jpg

Looking west as the road hugs coastal cliffs in the stretch between VotD and the major inland areas. The deed down there is Zoloz I believe:

g1c1XpW.jpg

Edited by Cista

Here's a couple of pics from the really amaaazing road west around Hammer Lake - who made these roads?

Testvan and I.

Glasshollow Market and coast are now in principle connected southwest all the way down to Talula Point in I10, possibly the longest travel distance you could find to date on Xanadu. 

Unfortunately, between Twin Peaks and Hueco Mundo, the paved path does not qualify as a road, since it is so steep a walker will fall to injure himself, and a cart cannot travel  :(