Sign in to follow this  
fifthbloodline

Computer restarts while playing.

Hey everyone,

I have a terrible problem which I hope someone can help me with. I have Wurm installed and running fine. But after a while (the time varies) my computer shuts turns itself off without warning or error. I have performed a complete system re installation and have a fresh copy of 64bit java installed.

Today while I was playing I managed to get maybe 2 hours worth of playing before my PC shutdown without warning, this time however I received an error which I was hoping someone could interpret for me:

"Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode: 116
  BCP1: FFFFFA801F8A34E0
  BCP2: FFFFF88010192D1C
  BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
  BCP4: 0000000000000004
  OS Version: 6_1_7601
  Service Pack: 1_0
  Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\061514-21574-01.dmp
  C:\Users\William\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-76830-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt"

With any luck this is an easily fixed software error and nothing to do with my hardware. I would greatly appreciate any help with this matter. Thank you in advance and please let me know if you need anymore information.

if you have Winodws 7 or previous this could mean that you had a Blue Screen but, for settings, you don't see it because you have auto-reboot enabled.

This could mean that you have an error with video drivers (what is your graphics device?)

If you're able to remove auto-reboot you could see what is the error (or the driver that cause the error)

It could be also a temperature issue, but that should mean that you reach very high temperature

Edited by GiuseppeP

Thank you for the fast replies.

Yes so it turns out I did have automatic restart enabled. Now it is off I will be able to see what is happening. I will install the latest drivers and post back when I have more information. How would I determine whether or not I have a temperature problem?

Cheers.

you need a temperature monitor, and maybe someone with the alert option, but in case of high temperature the BIOS should advise you, with a CRITICAL message.

That is the reason why I suppose this is a driver issue.

I remember on the first laptop I played wurm with, that had only a dual core processor and 500mb of video ram dang thing was burning my lap up.  My quad core on this new one seems to handle wurm much better, and I've learned how to configure it so that the video card takes more of the processing power.   

If you CPU is getting overworked, because it it constantly running at max, try to do some optimization, look at what your video card can handle and disable what it can't.  If you don't it will try to work with your CPU to do some things.  Same with a lot of the other compatiblily settings, some can put more burden on your CPU some can be carried by your GPU.    

Either way this game requires a quad in my opinion, my dual core just wasn't up to the challenge.  

How to mitigate heat issues:

When your fan is running constantly and your computer is running hot all the time, make sure you do maintenance on your processor when you can, like changing the thermal paste.  The stuff dries out after a while, especially in laptops, and the process is sped up if your constantly running hot.    There can be paste both on your processor, your heat sink, and even your GPU depending on your model.    Getting a good paste is essential for extending your laptop's lifespan if you are constantly giving it a serious workout.  

This can apply to desktop computers too, but  there your case design, cooling system, and if you keep the case exposed where there is good airflow also help keep it cool.   

In either case, check to see if your fans are turning on when they should, I had a fan burn out in my last laptop and it overheated very quickly.     Also, open the case up or, disassemble your laptop as much as your able to, blow out the case, or make sure the fan channel in your laptop is completely clear of dust, especially make sure the heat sink surface area isn't caked with dust, dirt, or whatever else may have gotten into the computer.   Stuff like that acts like a great insulator and you need clear channels, clean fans, and as much clean surface area on that heat sink as possible to dump heat.   

Edited by Battlepaw

hey, 

i have tried a full windows re-install with all the drivers, run numerous diagnostics of hardware and software (full, symptom: restarts unexpectedly and bluescreen at href='http://www.dell.com/support/Diagnostics/us/en/19/DiagnosticHome/Index)%C2'> the only thing that continuously fails is the blue screen error test, no hardware issues were detected. this means the memory, video card and hard drives all passed. any other ideas?

the computer also doesn't feel hot at all, it restarted not 2 minutes from being turned on.

blue screen on a freshly installed system points to a hardware or driver issue.