Sign in to follow this  
Aeris

Lockpicking settings on deed not working

Okay great, the new settings allowed me to get rid of the locks on some of my old chest locks without having to destroy them so a friend helped me with that. Then another friend in the same village as us logged in and was happy as well because it meant he could finally unlock the chest in his house - Or as it turned out Nope. Only one of them could pick the locks that needed to be picked.

- They are both in the same village role

- Neither of them hold the writ to the house they tried to use lockpick in

- They are on the writs for the houses they tried to use lockpick in

- Both of them tried it on Large chests

- It's still impossible to click "Lawful" so that won't solve it

To add to this I checked the role settings when the second guy was unable to pick his lock and I noticed the strangest thing:

- According to the settings neither of them should be able to lockpick anything. The checkbox for lockpicking was unchecked for ALL village roles.

So I checked the box to make it possible for the second guy to pick his chest, but that didn't work. He was still unable to lockpick.

I tested it again, this time I checked the settings to make sure that my village role was disallowed to lockpick. I was still allowed to lockpick, so I decided to expand the test further.

Ally, on the writ but lacking the lockpick permissions:

- Still able to lockpick the chest

Villager, not on the writ and lacking the lockpick permissions:

- Unable to lockpick the chest

Villager, not on the writ but with the lockpick permissions:

- Unable to lockpick the chest

Non-villager, on the writ but lacking the lockpick permissions (you cannot actually give non-villagers this permission in the roles):

- Unable to pick the chest

This is where it gets really interesting though, because I suddenly realized that I had forgotten to put the non-villager on my friends list and so I added it. After I had put it on my friends list it could suddenly lockpick the chest. This chest is really old so I do not remember whether I made it or not, but this should not matter. This still happened:

Non-villager, on the writ and on my friendslist but lacking the lockpick permissions:

- Still able to lockpick the chest

I am not the mayor of the deed and I do not hold the writs. Befriending me still enabled the non-villager to lockpick the chest. Why is this happening? During the tests I was in the same village role as the two other guys of which one could and the other couldn't lockpick chests. We were all regular villagers without lockpick permissions and yet two of us could lockpick, and befriending me allowed a non-villager to lockpick.

As a final writ check:

Non-villager, not on the writ but on my friendslist but lacking the lockpick permissions:

- Unable to pick the chest

It seems to me that the lockpicking permissions checkbox does absolutely nothing. It seems that being on the writ and possibly on the friendslist of the chest maker is what really matters.

I can still pick locks as non-mayor, so this is clearly still broken

I was doing testing when the deed lock kicking permission was being coded.  This is what I found.

Non Citizen, cannot be given permission

Cannot pick ...

• House, Large chest, BSB, Gate, Boat (not owned), Wagon (not owned), Small chest (On ground, not owned)

Can pick ...

• Boat (Self owned), Wagon (Self owned), Small chest (In inventory, On ground when owned)

Citizen, without permission

Cannot pick ...

• House, Large chest, BSB, Gate, Boat (not owned), Wagon (not owned), Small chest (On ground, not owned)

Can pick ...

• Boat (Self owned), Wagon (Self owned), Small chest (In inventory, On ground when owned)

Citizen, with permission

Cannot pick ...

• Large chest, BSB, Boat (not owned), Wagon (not owned), Small chest (On ground, not owned)

Can pick ...

• House, Gate, Boat (Self owned), Wagon (Self owned), Small chest (In inventory, On ground when owned)

Summary : The permission gives the ability to pick locks on structures (houses, gates), not objects.  If does not control objects that are owned.

Note ... this permission change was to split out the ability that deed members were automatically getting into the roles.  The change did NOT effect what can and can not be picked.

That makes very little sense since before the permission was added only the mayor could lockpick regardless, and only containers that he had built himself. Now anyone on your friendslist can lockpick containers you've made if they're on the writ to the house, which basically makes locks and deed security useless while tying the friends list to even more permissions.

• Like 1

A citizen can still pick locks on large chests without permissions, but with writ access.

Can't lockpick bsbs on deed and in buildings I own writ to as mayor. What was the update for?

We used to be able to lockpick anything on deed that's not a vessel.

lol what for Settings ever when Server make restart we must set the Access new for lockpicks that is a bug

Has this been fixed yet (perhaps there a fix is planned?) or will the settings continue to do absolutely nothing?