Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Character Name Change

+1  having bought some accts for the attributes despite the names.

Maybe allow a 1 time change with a database.  Very easy, wanna purchase a toon, check the database.  See something suspicious, look the name up on the database.

Even easier would be the right click option.  Just create a 'history' option or something.

I think there needs to be a limit on number of times a toons name can be changed - dont want to make it infinite and too confusing

Making a name sacred doesnt keep good or bad reputation intact

If the name change must be purchased from the Wurm Shop only, then I would be for it, since it will bring more direct game income in which can not be funneled through players.

As for any history needing to be associated with the name change, pointless and unnecessary. Players have always been able to purchase others accounts anonymously so this is no different. Over time the persons character emerges to identify them as being desirable or not to interact with.

Account buyers will be the primary attraction, so at least let them pay something into the Wurm Shop (game) rather than just to someone quitting the game who has no further concern about it, or those who sell accounts for their own profit.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
  • Like 2

Although I have no use for this name change business, I think it would be a good candidate for a Wurm Shop purchasable item only, to generate more pure game income. Say at a cost of 10 euros would discourage the casual abusers from thinking it will conceal their former identity.

Also with account sales it will finally be a way of eliminating the ghosts of characters past, making it attractive for those purchasers to spend some direct income into the Wurm Shop, instead of purely into quitting players pockets.

=Ayes=

I'd actually buy that myself before selling a character. I mean i use the same character name in most games, if you google my character name, you'll definitely find stuff on games i've played and whatnot.

I will repeat my -1.  I don't want to have to right click a char and see the original name(s).  I want a simple mouseover to tell me who you are.  The history and reputation of a char must never be hidden in any way, it is important information.

This would apply if characters didn't change hands all the time, since they do. Argument Invalid? Or you actually believe game characters have their own existence, and there's no human behind them and they'll always behave in a certain way... Because if you do, its better you go see a doctor about a head problem.

Edited by KanePT

+1, my arguments :

- the online registration form (http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/WurmWeb/index.jsp?c=register) does not have a note that says the name is forever. Most games have the possibility to change your in-game name if you want, so i presumed that you can in this one as it didn't stated otherwise.

- probably a lot of players start with a random name without thinking, but later they would like a more role-playing type character name

I registered with the player name fatynoob (has nothing to do with fatty, it's just a "lucky" coincidence), it's a nickname I've used on other games I've played, and i used the mirror at the beginning thinking that i'll start with black hair and black beard and change it to gray then white as my character progresses in skills and maturity, without knowing that what I'm doing is forever for this character.

I know that i can always create a new character, but that means starting from scratch..

My suggestion: give 1 character name change (+ mirror) per account, and maybe the possibility to buy others from the shop (50s+).

This way someone that sells his account can keep his player name by either using the free name change or by paying for a change and creating a fresh account with his original name.

The argument about loosing the player reputation is just silly, because as the character is sold, you aren't able to tell how the new owner will use it anyway..

+1

As someone said - character reputation and history will be remembered despite of changing name by new owner

This is due to the fact that people can grief then change their name. If a char is purchased, you are purchasing that char's reputation, whatever it is. If you don't like the name of the character you're purchasing, don't buy it. Pretty simple. :)

MOST people don't buy accounts and they have the name that THEY want. I fall into the minority category of having bought a few accounts and I don't even agree with this.

Edited by Lotus1

Name means too much in Wurm. And there are other problems with this concept. For example: if a name was used once, should it be reserved forever, or allowed to be reused after X days? No, just no, -1.

If someone wants to finance Wurm by changing their name for $10 or $25 or whatever games charge to change names every time they tick off the community, they would be spending all their loot money on name changes and paying for development. :-P

• Like 1

+1 with some exceptions added on.

Edited by MaurizioAM

With a proper cooldown (6 month / 1 year) name change won't outweight the fact you have a bad rep, i mean, what's the difference between knowing someone is a known griefer, or discovering someone is a griefer, on a large scale, yes, might allow them to do some mess, which can fall back on them afterall. Same goes for PvP, you think the guy/girl is a noob, you hope to have an easy kill, you die, well now you know it's a tough player, no real difference than encountering for the first time someone else.

Proper price, proper cooldown and i'm all in for name changes, gender changes, even face changes. Accounts change hands all the time, it's allowed by CCAB, why not give the community options available in most of the others MMo on the market.

(And history might be one thing, but when an account change hands, it's no longuer the same player behind it, i don't see how it's preserving history in a way or another).

Edited by Odynn

I love seeing this thread keep getting bumps.  Hopefully Rolf/devs realize this is something many players want. Yes, many don't want it, but so many good ways of preserving history to prevent misuse of renaming have been suggested in here that I think it can certainly be revisited as an option in Wurm.

I think I mentioned this before, but in Eve Online, you can easily click on someone's name to see their history of which corps they belonged to.  If we just do something like that for wurm, to show name history, it seems like a no brainer.

Could be fun to have a potion for sale on trader, for 25 silver, which gives you a name change, gender change and appearance change, all in one.  I have a female toon that I wish was male now, because of the Valrei spells.  Never knew when I started that there was a spell imbalance there.

• Like 2

Well we do have the examination why not show the name change in there? Like..

[14:41:20] XXXX is from the Freedom Isles.

[14:41:20] He seems to have blood from XXXX.

[14:41:20] He is very strong and has a good reserve of fat.

[14:41:20] He bears the mark of a citizen of XXXX.

[14:41:20] He was once known as John

• Like 1

Well we do have the examination why not show the name change in there? Like..

[14:41:20] XXXX is from the Freedom Isles.

[14:41:20] He seems to have blood from XXXX.

[14:41:20] He is very strong and has a good reserve of fat.

[14:41:20] He bears the mark of a citizen of XXXX.

[14:41:20] He was once known as John

[14:41:20] You can barely make out the signature, 'John known as Jack'

The only people that have that problem are those who bought the account or have some questionable past themselves. I don't see the need to address that problem.

• Like 1

+1 only if examine shows previous name.

Last thing we need is more camouflage on thieves and scammers.

+1 if you can see the previous name and prev name had to have had a good rep. Also in favor of it getting done in the Wurm Shop

Edited by Zelbane

+1 only if it is a big silver sink (50s like many already suggested and maybe with considerable discount when bought from wurm shop) and only if it easily gives detailed information of name change history on both in person and chatting. Without the easily accessed detailed name change history, this would certainly bring more harm to the game than good

Edited by Simyaci

Not again...

-1 for reasons already given many times: name and reputation are important in both PvE and PvP.  No amount of extra functionality will make it as easy as it is now to know whether someone is "that jerk who did that thing"

People change over time.  They come back after long breaks where a lot of RL might have taken place.  They grow up, they grow older, etc.

I see no value in forcing people to forever be tied to an imaginary character they created to have fun, that they pay their own real money to play.

History?  It's not up to you.  It's not your history.  It's their history, it's their journey.  What they wish to call themselves from one day to the next is ultimately not your call.  You have no implicit right over what others call themselves.  To think that you do is simply wrong.  You don't.  Get over that.  It isn't something you have control over, nor should you have control over what others decide to name their imaginary characters.

Yes, the right to maintain our own identity without intrusion of others is something that could be abused.  Could be abused is not a legitimate reason to deny everyone else the fundamental right to call themselves as they wish when they wish.  Self-identity changes and isn't meant to be negotiated with everyone else in the world.

As Jimi Hendrix would say, I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

Stepping off the soapbox now, thanks for the ears.

• Like 3