Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Character Name Change

+1

There are many reasons one might wish to change their name. I have seen many people in CA Help having problems registering and thus perhaps end up like Tissotx with a less than ideal version while trying to create the account.

Others perhaps create the name and then find that the game is completely different to how they imagined and wish a better suited name

Some perhaps bought the account and wish a name change

Some perhaps simply because they have slowly discovered how they fit into the Wurm world and want a name that better reflects their role in it.

Someone is selling their account but does not wish to give away the reputation of the name to a new player.

To the naysayers and fear mongers...

If it is fairly expensive, I really can't imagine it will be used as a griefing loophole. And, as others have pointed out, they will be quickly identified anyway (through the history search or their continued actions)

If there is a web page showing all name change history - or even in-game akin to 'area history' showing deeds founded and disbanded then there is equally no issue.

And perhaps, an ex-troublemaker really does want to change their behaviour and make a fresh start. Why shouldn't they be given this chance. For a fee (which benefits the developers, and thus all the rest of us) they get the chance. It won't be invisible. They can quickly be identified if they give cause for someone to check up on them and they will be very quickly named and shamed again.

Those arguing about the 'history of the character'. The name is just a means of identification. Your 'history' is with the player. If the account is sold and bought b someone else with a completely different playstyle, then keeping the same name is actually more confusing to everyone and starts making a mess of the history. A new name would be far more beneficial to preserving history.

I have occasionally seen people in chat or local and struck up conversation only to then find out they are not the same person - the account now belongs to someone else. Forcing me to then mentally delete all my history of that character because it is now irrelevant and wrong.

I also can't imagine that there are huge numbers of people who would wish to use the feature, and certainly not regularly. I myself have no desire to.

Problems do involve issues like names in villages and permissions, but these really should be ID based (although initially without name changes, the name would have been as good as a unique ID)

A decent cost, a suitable cooldown before renaming again, and a recorded history of all name changes available on the web or in-game and I really can only see benefits.

I would also suggest, that after a name change, then the players name is displayed in-game with a small (!) at the end of it for a month as an obvious sign to all players that the name has recently been changed.

• Like 4

Yes, the right to maintain our own identity without intrusion of others is something that could be abused.  Could be abused is not a legitimate reason to deny everyone else the fundamental right to call themselves as they wish when they wish.  Self-identity changes and isn't meant to be negotiated with everyone else in the world.

As Jimi Hendrix would say, I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

A hard concept for some to grasp in this age of an attempt to control every negative possibility that might occur, along with the conformity required to surrender self choices that might not fit the norm.

Nice snip there from Jimi's If Six Was Nine: *Got my own world to live through and uh, ha! And I ain't gonna copy you.*

Anyway, some points well made by you.

=Ayes=

+1 This feature needs to be implemented 

Edited by Flylo

On 6/8/2015 at 10:48 AM, Tinkerer said:

And perhaps, an ex-troublemaker really does want to change their behaviour and make a fresh start.

From your lips to God's ears, but I seriously doubt it. And whatever they did made people unhappy, so they can just build up a new character from scratch and apply that nice new behavior to their fresh start.

+1

Perhaps and information on examine what other identities the account has had.

Just make it cost 50s or something and people wont go about changing their name every time they get a bad rep. (Also a way to view all previous names, with some sort of /previous "name" command)

If anything, it'll keep the servers ticking along and the way things are, if you get a really bad rep right now, you can just buy an account and be right back at it.

Make it 1g for a name change. Thise who really want it will pay for it and it wont be an issue. 

As outlaw states you could easily change your rep by buying a new account. Name changes wont hurt the game. 

• Like 2

50s and a 6 month cooldown, others game have it, why not wurm.

More funding for CCAB... More customization on the player side.

+1

On 6/12/2014 at 8:13 PM, Wurmhole said:

I'm sure this is an old topic, but a few quick searches did not surface anything for me, before the forums told me I was doing too many searches.

I would gladly put $$$ in the king's coin purse, for an option to do character name changes.  I know there are very valid reasons not to, especially around pvp, but there are ways it could be handled.

- A name history option when you right click the name from local or any chat windows. Ultimately I'l like this history to have a time limit of maybe 6 months, then fade completely, but if everyone wants a permanent history, I'd be ok with it too.

- No name changes allowed if the character/account has warnings or been reported recently.

- No name changes if the account has been logged into a pvp server within the last (30, 60, 90?) days.

- No name changes if changed in the last (30, 60, 90?) days.

As an owner of some accounts that I did not create, I would like to make them more personalized to me and my naming tastes.  I know many others would love to do the same.  When an account changes owners, the personality or soul of the character makes a complete change.  I think we should have the option to rename and complete that change.

So King, please take my silver in return for the use of your royal scribes, to make the appropriate changes and give us our new names :)

Maybe if this is taken into consideration.   The big issue with this is permissions.   Also no one is allowed to use ANY name that had been used previously even a froob account that got deleted.

48 minutes ago, Lolabelle said:

Maybe if this is taken into consideration.   The big issue with this is permissions.   Also no one is allowed to use ANY name that had been used previously even a froob account that got deleted.

Afaik, once a froob account gets deleted, anyone can make a new account with the name, so why would changing your name to it be any different?

Simple solution for Wurm would be to link permissions to your login details, but have a superficial in-game character name, that can either be the same or unrelated to your login. That wouldn't affect any current or future permissions, no matter how often you change names.

What sounded hilarious 5 years ago, might not be so funny anymore...like that 'great tattoo' you get while drunk in Thailand. Everyone is a winner with paid name changes. Developers get extra revenue that is almost 100% pure profit and players get to change something that many wish they could.

I know from personal experience that I have stopped playing an account purely due to the name. I have also turned down purchasing accounts from others due to the name too. (Not that devs should support character purchases...just showing that names can have a large impact to some people)

-1 since it's most likely still abusable from a code standpoint. I've no reason to believe that permissions aren't still transferable between names as it was when I first encountered the problem.

-1 just because it is annoys the pathetic people who bought their accounts...

+1

Public announcement akin to deed founding/disbandment and it should be fine.

This has been said before, but forcing people to keep unwanted names protects no-one. If someone has a bad reputation all they have to do is use an alt.

Allow Name Changes and just charge some exorbitant amount. The game will make some additional profit (if sold through the Wurm Shop only!). No way sold for silver coins though.

=Ayes=