Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Character Name Change

Depends if you get famous. Everyone who plays wurm for a long time knows patronage is rampant, that was just a fine example out in the open.

Edited by Youngsoldier

If I promise to become a guy that screams into a webcam and little kids watch it en mass can I has name change? I promise I will only break the rules once (or twice, but who is counting), and buy an account to have the name changed on . Oh, and Ill be sure to leave the game after a month and say mean terrible things about it to the kid's I scream at :wub:

You forgot...

The...

British accent...

Id love the posibility of name changes, but I wouldnt change my character name.   I dont know if that makes me un-biased or just argumentative for the sake of it.

• Like 1

please? The code is almost done for it anyway, the items were live in game...

• Like 1

There was enough drama last time this was suggested.

It was implemented, it was a mistake, it was reverted.

+1

Allow name changes.  And force a record of past names, just like in the forums.

This would easily and quickly bring a lot of fast cash to Wurm. Which is exactly what it needs right now. The QQ issues could be easily worked around and dealt with.

Think of the big picture here folks, instead of your personal preference.

Personally, I'd like the name history to stay. However, thinking NOT of myself first, this is a good idea for Wurm commerce.

Therefore, +1.

The whole thing can be tracked and limited...its worth it if done right.

I'm sure this is an old topic, but a few quick searches did not surface anything for me, before the forums told me I was doing too many searches.

I would gladly put $$$ in the king's coin purse, for an option to do character name changes.  I know there are very valid reasons not to, especially around pvp, but there are ways it could be handled.

- A name history option when you right click the name from local or any chat windows. Ultimately I'l like this history to have a time limit of maybe 6 months, then fade completely, but if everyone wants a permanent history, I'd be ok with it too.

- No name changes allowed if the character/account has warnings or been reported recently.

- No name changes if the account has been logged into a pvp server within the last (30, 60, 90?) days.

- No name changes if changed in the last (30, 60, 90?) days.

As an owner of some accounts that I did not create, I would like to make them more personalized to me and my naming tastes.  I know many others would love to do the same.  When an account changes owners, the personality or soul of the character makes a complete change.  I think we should have the option to rename and complete that change.

So King, please take my silver in return for the use of your royal scribes, to make the appropriate changes and give us our new names :)

I'm starting to consider quitting wurm and selling my characters, but i really won't do it because i don't want my name attached to some unknown entity. Would be nice if you could change names specially in that situation.

• Like 1

-1, so much history would be lost

Edited by dapperdan

+1 if the name history is kept and available to others.

Well the problem with this would be the fact that you have to meet the person from face to face althouth alot of interaction goes thru channels and so on...

-1 From me. Would like to change a name, but makes it too complicated... too easy to abuse!

Easier to abuse than a reputed seller selling his character, then the new guy using the previous reputation to scam other players?

How would it be easy to abuse? Someone having done crap in the past and changing his name? How is that easierr than doing what most do? A new account?

about 20-22 -1's

about 35-37 +1's

Edited by Horsch

If the players of this game cared as much about history as they like to say they do, there would've been more of a fuss raised over the signature wipes on Independence and Wild, and they'd be clamoring for better logging and recording in general.  "Nefarious" accounts are often sold and resold with no repercussions to the buyers, and "respected" characters get vilified for the actions of their new owners all the time; in neither case are there real consequences.

I am in favor of a namechange system that is available only through the shop.  Send some money straight into the game's pocket, and you can rename yourself to Poopfeast for all I care.

• Like 3

Although I have no use for this name change business, I think it would be a good candidate for a Wurm Shop purchasable item only, to generate more pure game income. Say at a cost of 10 euros would discourage the casual abusers from thinking it will conceal their former identity.

Also with account sales it will finally be a way of eliminating the ghosts of characters past, making it attractive for those purchasers to spend some direct income into the Wurm Shop, instead of purely into quitting players pockets.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

I will repeat my -1.  I don't want to have to right click a char and see the original name(s).  I want a simple mouseover to tell me who you are.  The history and reputation of a char must never be hidden in any way, it is important information.

People sell accounts, it can be a negative experience to see someone u used to know played by someone else.
Also, we police ourselves, little hard to do when all a griefer need do is change his name (instead of moving servers)

So, big +1 toward having a name history that you can check.

As for magicmike's little birdie, paid name change?
again, as long as u can look up the name history, the longer the list, the less trustworthy they are.

-1 if u wanna name ur toon, create one with ur chosen name.... C'mon!

• Like 1

You work up a reputation for yourself, and people learn a name. Too much damage would come from this imo

Edit: Turns out I already -1ed... this is an old thread xD 

Still applies :P

Edited by Rosie

Its funny how people think the name matters at all, well unless you're the owner of the character.

In real life i can start calling my self what ever i want. i can become a spy/informant/under cover agent, no one knows who i am. People can even steal your identity.

Any one who -1 this suggestion is a fool. imo.  :lol:

Edited by vvhy
  • Like 2