Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Character Name Change

+1 only if you can mouseover someone's name and open little profile introduction where you could see that a name change has been used.

Other good things showing in that profile would be skill titles / just general info of the player ^^ [this probably needs a seperate suggestion]

Edited by silakka

+1. Aslong as it's exspensive and long cooldown. Also history of name change should show on examine

• Like 1

+1, please, Nee doesnt have the same ring to it as

Spontaneousrapturevictim

:ph34r:  bump because this is an important issue and must be resolved.

-1 because the devs wouldn't be able to implement this without tons of bugs. I'm not interested in beta testing something with as serious repercussions as this would lead to.

I know from previous experience that a lot of the name related things in Wurm go by the name rather than a unique ID so no thanks. I don't pay for a beta game and there is little to no chance they'd test this thoroughly enough for us not to have to suffer the bugs.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 1

:ph34r:  bump because this is an important issue and must be resolved.

Debump because it really isn't :P

Actually this was already coded.

If you remember, after bashur incident, there was for a few days a name change item on traders, which was later removed because of crying people.

Since this would be a money souce for WURM, I +1 it; just make it rather expensive (50s?) and on a long cooldown (6 months).

Best way to see if this is wanted or not - in-game poll.

+1 because it would bring more commerce - many people will want to buy an account for sale with great skills and so on but don't want to play as 'Toohotforyou' or 'Skullsmasher' which they feel gives people a wrong impression of them, by being able to change their character name they can feel that character is them, instead of playing as somebody else.

Actually this was already coded.

If you remember, after bashur incident, there was for a few days a name change item on traders, which was later removed because of crying people.

It was removed because it was accidentally put on the traders, and the poll showed that people didn't want it?

It was removed because it was accidentally put on the traders, and the poll showed that people didn't want it?

IIRC the majority wanted it, just that it was a close vote.

IIRC the majority wanted it, just that it was a close vote.

Wanted it with conditions, such as showing the history which that item would not do.

Just have it spit out the name changes to a twitter feed or server events or something like that. That way all name changes are a matter of public record.

• Like 1

I want my name back :P

Sorry Othobjr, you sold your Wurm soul and went off to parts unknown. Well, I am glad you retained your forum name anyway, since there is a very good reputation attached to it, as well as former words of wisdom dispensed.

As to name changes, yes should be sold from the Wurm Shop only for say 10 euros. Could have a 6 month timer on doing it again. Since characters are sold and bought freely, name changes would have little impact. Shortly after using it the current players true personal character will reveal itself anyway. A leopard can't change its spots, the saying goes.

=Ayes=

Well Im a bit curious, since there obviously are Private Investigators, Goverment Agents and Demographic Statisticians amongst us wurmians.

What important info have u gathered about my misspelled game toon named Tissotx that would get lost and effect your gameplay if i changed it to Tossit

Besides the obvious facts thats im stupid, fat and ugly =D

Or is it maybe a secret, to keep my secret facts locked up in your filecabinett.

Edited by Tissotx

Sorry Othobjr, you sold your Wurm soul and went off to parts unknown. 

Pffft they can keep the soul, it wasn't worth the steel it was forged from. I just want the name. And I am pretty certain the current owner has to be "wth does this mean anyway?!?!"

Wurm shop is fine, but the price should be reasonable (5-10 seems to be the industry standard) but perhaps include a timelock (yearly?) to avoid abuse.

What important info have u gathered about my misspelled game toon named Tissotx that would get lost and effect your gameplay if i changed it to Tossit

Unnecessary bit of attitude from you in the post there, but ok I'll give you a small example that very clearly shows that the names in Wurm are tied to the Name rather than to a unique ID attached to the name. I'm sure I pointed this out way back last time when name changes were up for discussion.

We had a villager in our village that had never been premium so when he didn't log in for a certain amount of time the account was deleted and the name freed up. So, around 6 months later or something along those lines someone else chose the same name. This would all be fine if it hadn't been for the fact that the new guy now became a part of our village, just like that - Only because the Name had previously been listed as one of our villagers.

They need to sort all crap similar to this before they make huge changes like implement name changes. What do you think would happen to your Kill on Sight and other Deed settings if not?

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 2

Well if they done something bad for reputation and want buy a name change to get off kill on sight, or get off your ignore list, i cant see the harm. Is their money loss to buy a name change. And the reason they have might be coz they want a second chance. And if they continue same behavior they will just end up on your KOS and ignore list again

The Deed setting just sounds like a game bug, a PlayerID should the check for ur toon, not the Name.

If they done something really really bad like stealing, u should report them so they get baned instead. Hmm do players get baned from stealing? im starting to doubt this now...

might be bad if someone use a name change to return for vengance and steal

-1 Names are what make wurm. And what alot of people spend their wurm lives building up.

Apart from my general personal preference for history and other stuff peeps mention. The potential for problems(alot of which are not abuse, but definetly problems) and abuse is huge.

• Like 1

When I first started wurm, I was just checking it out and named my toon BrandonSF in a hurry. My name is Brandon and since Brandon was taken.. Well, I live in San Francisco so..

In hindsight, I wish I'd of chosen a cooler name.. like Roscoe.

That said, -1.

Edited by BrandonSF

-1 Histories of a character are what I like about wurm, doesn't matter if the char is sold over and over again. Its recognizable name branding, I for one don't want to see a repeat of the Bashur / Ianrose business. A waste of the Ianrose char and name.

• Like 1

I'm sure this is an old topic, but a few quick searches did not surface anything for me, before the forums told me I was doing too many searches.

I would gladly put $$$ in the king's coin purse, for an option to do character name changes.  I know there are very valid reasons not to, especially around pvp, but there are ways it could be handled.

- A name history option when you right click the name from local or any chat windows. Ultimately I'l like this history to have a time limit of maybe 6 months, then fade completely, but if everyone wants a permanent history, I'd be ok with it too.

- No name changes allowed if the character/account has warnings or been reported recently.

- No name changes if the account has been logged into a pvp server within the last (30, 60, 90?) days.

- No name changes if changed in the last (30, 60, 90?) days.

As an owner of some accounts that I did not create, I would like to make them more personalized to me and my naming tastes.  I know many others would love to do the same.  When an account changes owners, the personality or soul of the character makes a complete change.  I think we should have the option to rename and complete that change.

So King, please take my silver in return for the use of your royal scribes, to make the appropriate changes and give us our new names :)

-1 to any name changes allowed for any reason.

If you are unhappy with the name of the accounts you bought, sorry tough cookies for you you knew what the names where when you bought them.

Seeing as how the economy does revolve around word of mouth, reputation of the sellers and buyers, changing names would be detrimental to this.

Yes I read your suggestion on the name history, how long does this history go on if someone changes their name every time they steal something, or piss folks off in chat so bad they're on ignore by most of the population.

I'm Sorry, but a big No to this suggestion in any form no matter how well hidden it is. Deal with the names you have and just man up suck it up and move on.