Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Character Name Change

Display old name as a hard coded title for x period after name change? Only useful for close encounters but just a thought.

+1, rules shouldnt be based on metagaming. (although I am incredibly pleased with all my character names, so this doesnt really affect me on a personal level)

Look you are controlling a person in this world, this world has history with this toon, other people have history with that toon. No name change if you want a different name nake another character if you bought the character live up to the name.(it s essentially an rp game changing names eould ruin connections)

Edited by shadowblasta

+1

After a streak of destroying public roads and canals, I want to change my name so people won't hate on me anymore.

• Like 1

I don't care either way but as you can see many don't want it that was why the developers dropped it last time when there was a vote.

Edited by Kegan

I'd love a link to that thread (I have not been able to find it) because I suspect, as usual, a feature wanted by the masses is not implemented because "it will ruin pvp".

Assuming this is ever an option some means of checking the name background would certainly be desirable, especially if theres any bans or warnings attached to a char.

Not to mention whats the history of the char's past players among other players. The whole "I sold and this is not me" has been tried before quite a few times, among other things.

Thanks Kegan, was a good read. From all accounts it seems like the (slim) majority did want it, but a vocal minority stopped it (or rather gave Rolf the excuse he wanted not to do it / add the history tracking). Sad that a LOT of the objections would be overcome by just making it pricey.

After more thought on this subject the *main* people it would benefit would be those who purchase accounts from others, as well as those who sell them. For this reason I see it as a bad idea to spend any time setting up a name change system. Why enhance account sales by adding this option as available to them. Nope Mr/Ms goofy name.

=Ayes=

Look you are controlling a person in this world, this world has history with this toon, other people have history with that toon. No name change if you want a different name nake another character if you bought the character live up to the name.(it s essentially an rp game changing names eould ruin connections)

Totally wrong here.

Most RPG MMO's sell character renames, wurm however is special... A character is known for what he produces, built, terraformed, and all his other actions.

But, once that character is sold to a new guy, it's not that person or that name anymore you may still see "Druidnature" but it wouldn't be the same, nor would it have ANY connections with the past, only in your mind because YOU remember who I was and what I - not my name - did.

Changing a name won't remove those memory's. Did anyone forget Ianrose? Did you all forget his actions because it had a name change? No. You still remember him.

Stop creating false reasons people.

• Like 1

Changing a name won't remove those memory's. Did anyone forget Ianrose? Did you all forget his actions because it had a name change? No. You still remember him.

It did cause some fun issues with the game though(codewise and not).

• Like 1

I don't care either way but as you can see many don't want it that was why the developers dropped it last time when there was a vote.

Rolf went sofar as to add the item in game from traders then promptly deleted it.

+1 to name changes

Rolf went sofar as to add the item in game from traders then promptly deleted it.

+1 to name changes

Rolf's made a lot of stupid, rash decisions over the years (Allowing you to come over and play pirate back on JKh was one of them).

OT: It's already bad enough you're able to change your identity on the forums on a whim, let's not have that in game. Suck it up and live with the name you've created/bought for yourself.

I'd rather see character selling made "illegal" than to have to deal with a game where everyone is able to buy a proverbial "get out of jail free" card when they've tarnished their own reputation, based on the premise of "oh, that was the guy that owned the account before me!"

Rolf's made a lot of stupid, rash decisions over the years (Allowing you to come over and play pirate back on JKh was one of them).

OT: It's already bad enough you're able to change your identity on the forums on a whim, let's not have that in game. Suck it up and live with the name you've created/bought for yourself.

I'd rather see character selling made "illegal" than to have to deal with a game where everyone is able to buy a proverbial "get out of jail free" card when they've tarnished their own reputation, based on the premise of "oh, that was the guy that owned the account before me!"