Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Character Name Change

I'm sure this is an old topic, but a few quick searches did not surface anything for me, before the forums told me I was doing too many searches.

I would gladly put $$$ in the king's coin purse, for an option to do character name changes.  I know there are very valid reasons not to, especially around pvp, but there are ways it could be handled.

- A name history option when you right click the name from local or any chat windows. Ultimately I'l like this history to have a time limit of maybe 6 months, then fade completely, but if everyone wants a permanent history, I'd be ok with it too.

- No name changes allowed if the character/account has warnings or been reported recently.

- No name changes if the account has been logged into a pvp server within the last (30, 60, 90?) days.

- No name changes if changed in the last (30, 60, 90?) days.

As an owner of some accounts that I did not create, I would like to make them more personalized to me and my naming tastes.  I know many others would love to do the same.  When an account changes owners, the personality or soul of the character makes a complete change.  I think we should have the option to rename and complete that change.

So King, please take my silver in return for the use of your royal scribes, to make the appropriate changes and give us our new names :)

• Like 5

+1

There are so few people on the PvP servers they should be able to keep track, so for me that's not an argument.

-1, so much history would be lost, and this is coming from someone who's played 3 bought/inherited toons now. The name is what the original owner gave it, and it picks up it's own backstory along the way. It just wouldn't have been the same for me, earning Zarame a good reputation as a respectable smith when people knew the original owner was a hothead. Even now, I play on a toon given me by a friend, the name Yuri carries with it memories of the last owner and his behaviours, and we often make jokes about how I'm slightly less obsessive and slightly more versatile.

• Like 2

so much history would be lost

The history and "meta" that builds up around characters and names is one of the things that makes wurm great.

I used to be against it, but nowadays I'm not so bothered; especially if changing a character's name freed up the former name for someone (original creator, for instance) to use. There would have to be some way of seeing a player's previous nam3s, though, for me to really get on board.

• Like 1

earning Zarame a good reputation as a respectable smith when people knew the original owner was a hothead.

He was? ......news to me but then maybe this is going back so many years your the only one that remembers it  :P

+1  wurm shop item only maybe around 10-20 euros so its never abused.

Specially if there was a public record of name change/s.

Seems once you sell your character it's not yours anymore, while most know characters by stats and such, creating a legacy by the amount of times it's been sold, improved upon etc seems kinda off when if you wish to preserve the legacy you don't sell it in the first place.

• Like 2

I would vote +1 for these reason

a)

when i first started play wurm, was it 5-6 years ago or more i cant remember

but i had major account creations problem, the confirmation email from wurm just didnt show up

i thought it was my fault for type something wrong or not have email spam filter off.

so i created many accounts

I wanted have name Tossit, but then tried Tissot, then Tossitx, then Tissotx and finally worked somehow.

In a way im glad im not nicked zXxTissotxXz, but i prolly would have if the account creation wasnt working

B)

having played a while u start realize that players with 4 letters have much easier to get their full name credited to a crafted item when u examine it.

c)

Have this option in the item mirror, so u change your face + nickname at same time for same fee.

d)

Wouldnt this just be another income for Wurm Online. Surely the effort to code this will pay back 10 folded in purchases?

e)

if /gofemale still works for you, than it will look weird if u have a male nickname, unless u plan to win a eurovision song contest =)

+1

Just make it cost 50€ or similar so it doesnt happen too often.

• Like 1

+1 if you can click on their name and see what it used to be =)

Like little profile pop up when u click someone's name in a chat tab.

• Like 1

Your name tells us who you are, and we associate all your actions to that name.  You do thing s that give your name a bad reputation, that is on you and it is up to you to clean up you name.  If you buy a char, you are accepting the reputation of that char.  Again, it is up to you to clean up that name if it has a bad reputation.  Getting to pay a fee for a new name is not an acceptable way to change things for a better outcome, you need to perform actions for a better reputation.

• Like 3

little birdie told me that this feature as a premium service may be be coming in the near future. Not going to name names but it's a safe bet that we should be able to have paid name changes in the future.

Edited by Magicmike

Well that sucks to hear.

One name per one character, nothing more is needed.

• Like 1

+1.  If you want to retain the history that goes with a name you bought, there's nothing forcing you to change the name.  I can see how it could be abused, so having a way of viewing all previous names would be good.  I can also see how it'd be useful, so I'd like to have the option if I ever bought a char.

Up to you to check that the character you are buying is reputable!

+1 for name change option.

As long as we can buy and sell characters like cars or toys or some commodity the name attached to it really means nothing, not to me.

In MMOs I care WHO the Player is, not who their character is.... years ago in games like this one and EvE and UO when you saw the character name you saw the Player.... now a character is just a tool, expendable, without identity or any real history that can be counted on. I'm not talking about knowing real life identities (that would be freaky and dangerous in real life), just that when you saw for example the name Elwood in chat you knew it was Elwood the Player, now who knows who we're talking to?

Means to me there's no way of knowing who I'm talking to in chat anymore in Wurm because characters are bought and sold like crazy around here. It's not that hard to pretend to be the old owner and get away with it. To me that means can't trust anyone, not really.

Might as well go all the way, drop the pretense that character name means anything. +1 for name change option.

Edited by geode