Sign in to follow this  
Saroman

Copper Chain Armor

why we become not a Gold,silver copper plate set  that Looks sure nice

Yes, copper oxidizes like crazy. Especially something like chain armour, where there is a lot of copper exposed to the elements would first turn that dark brown colour and then start getting hues of green and orange. I like it.

Very nice. Wouldnt mind putting this on my preist just for looks.

Always a welcome change! Anything that allows further customization is always welcomed! +1 for sure.

Though personally I won't use it cause green and copper color, I know that's what it's supposed to be but yeah to me looks like green armor that's rusted lol xP but for those who do wear it at least they'll be different now!

We already have the redish look with Bronze, so to add some more variety and since copper usually oxidizes very fast when out in the rain this is how it will look.

Well, its bad enough to use copper as armor, since its really a very ductile metal and is easily damaged and cut away with any iron implement, but oxidized copper? That's like wearing cloth...

But its my opinion.

Anyhow i think you got the colors wrong, i worked with metals a lot back in the day, and bronze is actually yellow/gold in color, not really red, and bronze also oxidates really fast, as fast or faster than copper, and it gets a "coat" of copper oxides, which is why most bronze statues are dark green.

Yes, copper oxidizes like crazy. Especially something like chain armour, where there is a lot of copper exposed to the elements would first turn that dark brown colour and then start getting hues of green and orange. I like it.

And apparently you have no idea what you're talking about. Copper oxides are green/blue-green (although blue green is sulphide but can happen due to acid rain), not brown or orange, that's actually the metallic copper color (as in no oxides). And unless you leave it out to rust copper doesn't oxidize instantly, not much faster than iron or steel at least. In fact fresh-cut steel will easily stain from your sweat, specially if you have high uric acid. Copper not so much, and yet you don't see brown-red iron chain armor.

Disregarding the fact that copper armor would never be used in real battle because its crap (you could easily pierce copper chain with a wooden spear), even if anyone did that, no one would wear armor and then let it rust, metal armor was valuable, and would be cleaned and polished regularly, rust spots were weaknesses in the armor and could get you killed.

Anyhow, that's my opinion, don't let it put you off. Its just really Wogic to have a admittedly RUSTED armor.

• Like 1

Not to get too off topic, but the ancient Egyptians had a way to make copper almost as strong as steel and to hold a fine edge. They didn't make armour out of it, as far as I know, but they did make spear points and such.

Unfortunately we with all of our modern and 'superior' technology still cannot replicate it. (Nor, for that matter, can we make concrete like the Romans did. Theirs lasted 2000+ years, and ours falls apart after 50!) :P

Although I do like the model, I have to agree with Kane about the colour. Copper chainmail would not show that level of verdigris when in use. Chainmail is normally rings that are free to move and as such the build up of verdigris would be polished away by the movement of the wearer. I've had experience with steel chain and if left unworn for a long period it would rust slightly, however I'd normally cure this by bagging it and putting it in the boot (trunk) of my car for a week before I attended an event.      

wow..where i next to never where chain armor....now i want to exclusively been seen wearing it..parading around in it..makes me wanna even be a chainsmith..LOVE THIS..fell in love with wurm all over again...one second..almost had a halmark moment...really really nice job..a big THANK YOU

• Like 1

And apparently you have no idea what you're talking about.

Whoa. Relax, buddy. It's just a game :)

I also worked with copper, so I know how it oxidizes. But in any case, I like the graphic and look forward to more customization options.

I like that, and i propose too a bronze breastplate and greaves.

Oh, I see where this copper chain armour is going. Nice.

Instead of making heavily oxidated armour perhaps a change in the model would be in place if you feel it looks too much like the bronze armour in non-oxidated copper colour. Personally I can wait for the time it takes to make new models. It's not an important feature and doesn't need to be rushed, it's just something that's nice to have so it can take its time.

• Like 1

Don´t get me wrong, i like the model, and i even like the colors if it is for a dmaged armor, but i refuse to go into battle looking as someone that don´t care for his gear.

• Like 2

4576771-lg.jpg

Hey, it is cool chain armor. I want it for my wife for our next "bedroom battle" :D

Saroman, your copper chain armor will look great on armor stand, while armor parts stored there will be visible once ...

I can imagine guards of prison cells wearing it, but for fierce warriors I would prefer reaching for iron variant.

• Like 3

wow great job on the color, right mix of red-orange and brown... and the tarnish looks beautiful

Chain wats dat?

You cant pvp in chain... Im getting two shot through plate on a fifty body stat account,,, now you want me to where chain!

This is why suicide was invented, when yer in chain and enemies pop local...

• Like 1

Sorry about my bad graphics, but green dragon and copper makes a nice combo:

CcMBoaB.png

4576771-lg.jpg

If I had to fight someone looking like that........I'd probably lose....

One question: why is it mostly oxidized? Are you suggesting Wurmians don't clean their armor? ;)

Well, at the end of the day, by the time all the farms are tended, all the cows milked, all the pigs fed, all the deed clutter repaired and all the horses groomed, there is very little time to tend to the armour...

Looks Great!!! Now to find some copper around here >.>