Sign in to follow this  
Cryptik

Regional IRC Channels for Xanadu

The idea for regional chat channels (as opposed to global) has been discussed in the Xanadu Freedom chat for a few days, to separate clutter from a region on the opposite side of this huge map.  A few of us decided to open the channels in the IRC client.  The channels are:

#sexanadu (Southeast)

#swxanadu (Southwest)

#nexanadu (Northeast)

#nwxanadu (Northwest)

To join these channels in-game, pull up your console (F1) and type "irc".  When the new tab appears, enter "/join #channelname".

Edited by Cryptik
  • Like 2

Now I have to figure out why my net is going down as soon as I connect to the IRC..

____

But a very good idea. I really like it.

Edited by Capi

what about a #cenxanadu for the more inland areas? ;) good idea for sure... will check it out today

what about a #cenxanadu for the more inland areas? ;)

Inland? Are you sure someone lives there, and they aren't cannibals or trolls? :)

I think the same goes for center of coastlines (cardinal directions), you could have an own server-sized chat for those, too. But then, no matter how you divide it up, someone will live somewhere where they feel they're at an intersection between multiple chat regions.

Edited by Marshlander

Inland? Are you sure someone lives there, and they aren't cannibals or trolls? :)

I think the same goes for center of coastlines (cardinal directions), you could have an own server-sized chat for those, too. But then, no matter how you divide it up, someone will live somewhere where they feel they're at an intersection between multiple chat regions.

Want me to eat you alive? :angry:

I'm actually pretty sure, being one of the above mentioned.. And i have a few villagers and also some neighbors!

Sure the inland areas aren't as populated as the coasts.. but still.. living at H15 and seeing people come by isn't as rare as I thought

At least then you'd just have to join a maximum of two channels :P for me it'd be NW and Center... if you live on the middle west coast just go #NW and #SW

Why not just push Rolf to increase local range? or put up a "Regional" channel which is about 5x5 sectors wide?

Why not just push Rolf to increase local range? or put up a "Regional" channel which is about 5x5 sectors wide?

Off to the Suggestions forum with you!

The "Regional" channel is something definitely worth a try, especially here on X.

Not so fond of the increased local range though... usually if someone pops up in local that's a sign for me to get out of the mine and try waving... :P

Regional being, say, 20 local ranges wide? Or a defined sector (north central, NW, NE, east central, west central, core, SE, SW, south central)?