Sign in to follow this  
Blacklotus

Please Close.

Project is closed.

Edited by Blacklotus
  • Like 2

I assume you meant Thursday the 12th of June? :P

We are at k8, and have already made a highway from the coast there through the valley to the inner flatlands between West Harbour and Vale of Fo. Would love to join up with something larger =)

Of course now that we can get on geared horses we can see how feasible this this is ... I have been putting it off.

Sounds good to me. I'm looking to expand the highway across all of xanadu but gotta start small.

Edit -

I will be arranging the actual route I will be building on tomorrow and then I'll try to get a map of it up for all.

Edited by Blacklotus

My alliance is at D9 I will have to talk to my alliance but I personaly would not mind a road connecting to our road that is still in the works. We also have a mine that I wouldn't mind leting you use for bricks :)

Edited by Zachariah

Alright just keep me posted I still have to discus with my alliance on weather we want to. 

You are late on this...Linton already has highways started, just need work. Some donations of bricks and tools would be helpful.

The problem with single tile ROADS is they have 0 protection from griefing or change. The problem with 2 lane highways is people do not want to be involved with the highway rule. The challenge is a balance, by creating the highway through the areas with no deeds, and then rerouting when necessary to go around deeds that do not wish to be connected and staying a good ways off of their perimiter so they have room to expand.

I'd hardly say I am late considering I posted this the day I walked onto the server, the day it was open to the other lands. I'm building it from the west into linton, and yes I know there is already a highway partially built on the west end but I cannot help that some players decided to do it right from the first day so all I can do is help finish the highway. Instead of trying to hijack my thread please instead be helpful and ask to work together so we have a better highway.

And quite frankly, even 2 lane highways get griefed, I wanted to build a highway that would allow players the ability to travel without needing to massacre the landscape, (which i could easily do) but seeing as thats not an "option" according to everyone else, I'll slash and burn if thats what it requires.

Edited by Blacklotus

Hi there!

I love and appreciate the request for input from those who may be affected by the highway you are planning.   ;)   

I live at Double Oak Ranch, J 8 on the forum map.  If, when continuing the road that Gypsy mentioned, you might continue east but staying relatively straight and south of me, that would be great.

Some of the flatlands are pristine, and it would be a shame to have a road plow right through the middle of it, imho.  Of course, I'm just one homesteader but it didn't take long for me to fall for the little corner of the world I live in.

Again, thanks for your request for input, and your commitment to maintaining the natural beauty of these new lands.  It's a great approach to something everyone has an interest in.  I hope other roadbuilders will take note of your example.

Understood, I was eyeing the plains there myself Teksan. I'm going to do my best not to ruin the natural beauty of them.

Edit: Just as a note to those wondering I will be using the Rough Cobblestone roads for the highway.

Edited by Blacklotus

Its a balance I agree, I do not want to gouge in and make it perfectly flat along its longway or worry about specific slops. As long as the highways are flat across the narrow width  they should roll along the landscape as the landscape rolls. Only time slope adjustment should be done is if it is beyond a 23 slope making it almost impossible to travel.

It is good you are working on the west. I am currently working on the north highway. Also there is a guy working on South. This should help bring Linton to the top of the list for spawn town redesign. 

Here is the important thing for me doing roads. Once you get them complete, at least this is what I am going to do, go back and replant steppes, resand deserts, replant trees that were native to the area. This will ensure that the only tiles affected are the ones used for travel.

The problem with rough cobblestone is you can not use the pave nearest corner option with them. So any angles in the road would have to be a bunch of jerky turns or look trashy with different types of tile.

Long ago in days before "pave corner" "rough" roads were the norm and I have no issue with them appearing somewhat rough.

Logged in to find a lamp post right on the edge of my deed.  Another in the distance.  Had me pretty confused.

Took a leisurely walk to snuff them and return the night to its darkened wilderness.  Scratched my head.  Made a casserole.

Couldn't help but wonder though.  Nobody lives anywhere in sight.  Nobody but I can see these lamps randomly planted.  This is the way I wanted it, by the way.  I was in Xanadu very early on.  I walked through really treacherous territory to get to where I am.  I chose a spot that had no clay for miles.  Practically no iron to speak of.  Not a single special ore after much prospecting.  Water treacherous to get to, I find corpses in there every other day.

It was love at first site. (okay, bad pun, stay with me here).  Nobody in their right mind would be interested in this place, I thought.  I chose not to live on the coast.  I chose to shun civilization, stake my claim in hostile, barren, territory, and build my homestead.

Back to the lamps... Why in the world would they be there?  *lightbulb*  Oh nooo.  No, I mean really, it can't be.

Are these lamps meant to delineate a path for a road?  Only explanation I can come up with that might make any sense.  So, I have to ask...

Why, in a map as insanely gargantuan as this, must people choose the very land I stand on when surrounded by literally hundreds of tiles.  I mean, look at the map.  Look at it.  It's huuuge.  So many places to put a lamp post, let alone the predictable, must stay forever, all ur base, road.

Why?  What's wrong with people?  How often are people really going to use the very long roads they build on other people's doorsteps?  How often have they, in their trusty carts, really even been at risk and required to be on a road, at all times, in all places?

Anyway, time for another casserole.  I really, really hope I don't wind up having to move.  There's a reason I live there.  Trust me, you don't want me in your neighborhood.  Your home prices will drop immediately.  I keep rusted carts without wheels up on bricks in my front yard.  My hounds howl constantly, are very bloodthirsty, and can jump really really high.  I play music loud at night, the music you don't like.  Doesn't matter what it is, I'll find it, and I'll play it.

Please, for the love of your neighborhood, let me stay where I am!

• Like 5

They might be the line for a road from somebody, just not from me. As I said i'd keep the path clear of you. I am still settling the path into Gypsy's highway from my home.

Yep and where you guys likely are on the west, I am not working west at the moment anyway but I am only going direct straight lines from starter towns, then people can tie in as they like, you guys should be nowhere near a straight west line.

Edited by Cista

Hey Teksan! I too was confused by the lamps but I think I've figured them out, and it isn't a road plan =)

I try to take a run around those lowlands between our deeds once a day looking for wild horses, and some of those distant "hills" are deceiving slope-wise. I do a lot of getting off the horse and dragging him down. I've noticed that if you head to the lamps there are subtle slopes dug into the sand, or natural passes that let a horse through.

Now that I know what they are for, I would guess that it's one of the other people I see running around looking for horses/meat/hide/etc. Lamps are just easy to spot, so I don't think it's for a road plan.

Hope this puts you at ease =)

• Like 1

Hello.

I am part of the Moonshine Valley. I have a deed at the high pass out of the valley into the desert called Vale of Fo. In the valley there is also Gypsypunk (who owns the deed named Moonshine Valley) and Delone (who owns Western Harbour). Together, we are pretty much a unit that has settled that valley as our Xanadu home. Our goal is to make the valley as beauitful as possible, seeing how nice this area already is.

The Moonshine Valley area lies on the west coast, more or less directly west from Linton. It would be - as far as I understand from what Blacklotus proposes - the end destination of the road from Linton. If that's the case, than the road from Linton will connect to my deed directly, as it is the first deed you encounter when you cross the desert basin and reach the valley. So, in short, as far I understand it, the Linton road would hit the Vale of Fo.

I am very excited that players have decied to build a road like that and while I spend most of my time on Celebration and not Xanadu, I will be very happy to help and facilitate any road projects (I will drag an alt to Vale of Fo and leave him there permanently). There is already a road that exits the valley through my deed and that road is meant to connect to the Linton road. I also have an idea of what path a road to Linton could take in the desert basin. I'd love to talk to whoever is in charge of that project to share my ideas and hear of their exiting plans too.

On this topic, though, there is one thing that I would like to ask. Please do not connect any other roads to the valley, other than through my deed. I kindly ask you that you respect this wish. It's not just mine. I have spoken to all the valley deeds and we all share this sentiment. The reason is quite simple, actually. If you are building a road to connect to the valley in a different spot than the exit from my deed (for instance, if you are building one to connect directly to Gypsy), you will find that this will be impossible. The plans in motions are such that the sides of the valley will be terraformed in such a way that connecting any roads there will be impossible. In addition, there will be man-made barries (like fences and walls) that will make this connection impossible.

Please respect this wish, as we would like to keep our deeds the way we planned them. This means only one connection to the valley, through the Vale of Fo into the desert.

Now, please don't mistake this request with my reluctance to help in the Linton highway project. Quite the opposite. If you want to connect to the valey, please talk to me and I think you will find me cool to deal with. In fact, I already have an idea of how to connect Westweald deed (sp?) to the valley, should the inhabitant of this deed wish to do so. It would invole an alternate road on the coast in the bay, connecting to the Western Harbour of Delone. Please speak to me in game (Valdor is my main while my temp alt is Geldor) and I can show you what I mean. I think it's a great alternative and would provide a much more spectacular and useful road connection.

Again, looking forward to some exicting community projects in the area and I salute those who wish to spearhead them. Just please respect our wishes regarding roads and you'll find we'll shower you with ideas and enthusiasm to make it all work and look great :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hello.

In addition, there will be man-made barries (like fences and walls) that will make this connection impossible.

Thanks!

I assume those walls and fences to prevent access will be on deed and not used to imped access to those wishing to wander where ever they please. Otherwise someone could take offence to you walling off non deeded sections of such a nice valley, more so with you being a part time resident.