Sign in to follow this  
Shiraek

Dwarf Fortress Again

Old topic is archived, but I wanted to share this.

Looks like a new update is semi-imminent (I've been keeping an eye on the news here and there)

I had another game on the weekend... started in a place with an Aquifer because I hadn't dealt with that challenge before. I still haven't got up to the first serious goblin raid yet but have had Fun anyway.

Had to use many pumps to wall off a single tile to build a stairway down through the aquifer, which was luckily only one layer thick in that particular location.

Once under it and after I'd gotten established, I decided the main meeting hall needed a waterfall to keep everyone's spirits up.

I built several grates around a stairway to the ceiling then mined out the ceiling... Water came gushing out, good that was the plan, but then it became apparent that I didn't have enough grates and enough draining space in the room below.

Long story short, very nearly ended up drowning most of my dwarves... luckily got the flooding under control before it got totally out of hand. We now have a lovely waterfall and quite a lot of mud on the nice engraved meeting room floor.

• Like 2

hahahahhaha shiraek and the drowning hall! 

I love water in DF.. I usually pick place around river or waterfall so I can make a water trap. Unless at some points the blood ended stuck everywhere.. or dwarves trying to take items that drowned enemies left.

• Like 1

DF is fun, but my fortress usually goes bad after the first big attack: titan, goblin ambush etc.

DF is fun, but my fortress usually goes bad after the first big attack: titan, goblin ambush etc.

Initially a very long, twisty and narrow (one tile) front hallway is a godsend. Fill it with weapon traps (every second tile works well) and until you get something trapavoid you're well defended against attackers.

I also find training all dogs to war dogs to be very useful early on. War dogs are more effective and way more expendable than untrained dwarves, especially against a force that's already thinned and slowed by traps.

So I needed some military badly the other day and very coincidentally a migration wave of 30 comes rolling in.... so, all drafted !

Losses in military with spouses yielded armed tantrums. Fun was had.

• Like 1

There is now a new version out but Toady seems to be fixing crash bugs daily so I'm not game to try it yet :)

When they tell me therapist is updated I can try the new one :lol:

• Like 1

If you are into Lets Plays, captnduck has a DF2014 "bug-testing" series exploring the newest changes, makes maybe a nice warmup if you are waiting till Therapist comes out before playing:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcdpdAvCZEQ&list=PL0sBhCMFBvPk3swl6-03BxAfPQcZJr_Ne

ps -- for those who enjoyed captnduck's tutorials/letsplays in the past, he also is doing a fundraiser to replace his ancient computer with a modern computer.  

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.msg5474878#msg5474878

Dwarf Fortress 40_03 Starter Pack r2  by PeridexisErrant with (supposedly) working Dwarf Therapist & updated  graphics tilesets.

edit: newest Starter Pack revision is  40_03 r4 and includes  Splinterz' version of  Dwarf Therapist 

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.msg5486297#msg5486297

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

:blink:  :blink: :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  Strike the earth ! 

Miretta, I think mayday was the first tileset I ever used but over time I drifted to others . Anyway your screenshot got me intrigued and I reinstalled the newest Mayday, and I am REALLY liking it! It has an oldschool look combined with a nice muted palette that I really appreciate.

Which means of course ... I have to start a new game. Again. 

I love using long twisty bridge paths at the main entrance with a bridge providing a shortcut for the dwarves.

Line the sucker with traps as well as stick traps 2 z-tiles below for when invaders autododge and fall.

Ballista aimed straight down the long stretches, and occasionally a reinforcment archery gallery above the whole mess.

Only issue that comes up is cleaning up afterwards, and Ive messed with various setups for that.  :P

EDIT: Last one just used water and a sewer system to sluice all the blood, guts, and puke offmap... so far the neighbors haven't complained  :D

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1