Sign in to follow this  
Qdlaty

Answer to Roame and other winning about iron

Hi Qdlaty,

I am honored to have been called out by name in the topic title, though I feel like it's unwarranted. I have specifically tried to make my case as unargumentative and reasonable as possible. Please review my post history and see for yourself.

I don't have much else to add here. I'm sorry I have offended you.

I had no problem understanding what he said. Basically if all you people are experienced players on xanadu how come you didnt bother to prospect before deeding. While i think that iron is a pretty basic need in wurm and it should be very common you have to admit he dished out the same advice most of our esteemed forum veterans would have told some new person.

This thread is full of trolls and ignorant grammar Nazis.

I think travelling for a distance to find your veins is part of the game. In the event you set up right by a vein then you did the right thing: Find iron before setting a deed up. Or, you just have dumb luck.

I had no problem understanding what he said. Basically if all you people are experienced players on xanadu how come you didnt bother to prospect before deeding. While i think that iron is a pretty basic need in wurm and it should be very common you have to admit he dished out the same advice most of our esteemed forum veterans would have told some new person.

3 reasons. Back in the day when Independence was created and I settled there I also didn't prospect, because on the servers before it it was pretty hard not to have some iron in your area. And it turns out it was pretty hard not to have it nearby on Indy too. The second reason is that a vein can have less than 100 ore in it. I've found such veins on Independence, in my deed, more than once. So even if you prospect first and detect six iron veins and then settle down there thinking you are set, there might only be around 1k iron ore in total across those six veins. You'd be out of iron in a few months. So detecting iron veins through prospecting is no guarantee that you are set. So everybody who prospected iron and settled down on top of it, I hope you already found the veins themselves and prospected them directly to get an estimate of how much is in there. Thinking you are set just because there is iron is nothing more than a false sense of security.

Finally iron is a vital resource in this game, you need it for almost everything. Thus it should be everywhere and specifically checking if it is in your area shouldn't be required. It's probably also quite likely that most new players don't check for it when they settle down with a deed somewhere. If Iron is not everywhere then this can seriously harm both the longevity of the server and the new player experience, so I believe it's a good thing that the devs have confirmed that it is an issue and that they will be fixing it. That other ore types are rare is fine, they are mostly luxury resources.

Now I don't agree with the devs moving existing veins, I believe they should adjust their algorithm so existing ore veins are excluded and cannot be changed by it. The fix they are planning most likely involves some database operations, so it should not be impossible to adjust the algorithm so existing ore veins are excluded, but it will take extra effort. I hope they go the extra length there.

Edited by Ecrir

I would like to add again that unless you had exposed rock or dug a mine you can't be certain what is there. much the same way you can't be certain that low hill area you deed doesn't just have 1-7 diets before hitting rock to surface mine. trees, water sand clay tar peat... everything else you can easily spot without fuss.

when was the last time you entered a new mine and had to clear it 300+ stone tiles and still not found iron? like not finding a roach in a McDonalds after looking for three days.

• Like 1

My current (Release) deed's rock layer is about 100 dirts deep.

So the "you're whining! you should have prospected EVERYTHING" crew is saying that either people should have deeded on open rock, or in cases like my deed's location (and I'm sure many places on Xanadu), they should have exposed ALL the rock tiles with a lv 15 digging, prospected, THEN decided to deed?   

I'm not gonna openly insult said crowd, not because of forums' rules, but because I'd need several paragraphs just referring to the obvious flaws in their logic.

Why you all keep quoting my post like your explaining it to me. I was just giving you the sum of his post. i know how this crap works.

When I started on Pristine I had nothing but zinc/tin. I got iron from a long distance neighbor as it was nonexistant in my region. They never bothered to fix that region for not having iron. Point being you have to search in advance before deeding or you'll have to deal with the loss. The devs shouldn't just "fix" something that is meant to be. And their "fix" ruined my entire region of iron that I had.

I exposed 3 mines of iron in my region, had zinc and silver nearby too. Now all those are either rock or underwater thanks to this "fix". I think it was a stupid idea and they shoulda just given the people complaining a rod to give them say 30ql iron veins. It only hurt those of us who set up ONLY for the iron in the region, now there is none and we have a deed set up for no real reason and now no access to iron for a good 5x5km region. This was very poorly handled....

My current (Release) deed's rock layer is about 100 dirts deep.

So the "you're whining! you should have prospected EVERYTHING" crew is saying that either people should have deeded on open rock, or in cases like my deed's location (and I'm sure many places on Xanadu), they should have exposed ALL the rock tiles with a lv 15 digging, prospected, THEN decided to deed?   

I'm not gonna openly insult said crowd, not because of forums' rules, but because I'd need several paragraphs just referring to the obvious flaws in their logic.

For some regions, like mine for example, there's a huge prairie and flatland forest right within a 2 minute walk of a huge hill with a whole side of rock. It was within 25 minutes of the starter town so far enough away I wouldn't be bothered but close enough to travel. In this beautiful valley is a nice lake, was lots of iron and other ore types on the rock face. It's definitely not hard to find regions like this even now that are still untouched. What I would say is the people who complained about no iron, could have searched for places like this nearby before complaining. I know there's other locations like mine as I've seen them and they're still even now untouched. 

But yeah as a result of the complaining and such my region is now the same as those who complained to begin with when it did have iron.....I am not pleased about this and there's nothing I can do considering I spent every coin I had deeding here just for the iron and great region....They could have handled it in a better way I think.

Edited by Ryamu
  • Like 1

I would like to add again that unless you had exposed rock or dug a mine you can't be certain what is there.

And ore redistribution makes you certain? How?

When I started on Pristine I had nothing but zinc/tin. I got iron from a long distance neighbor as it was nonexistant in my region. They never bothered to fix that region for not having iron. Point being you have to search in advance before deeding or you'll have to deal with the loss. The devs shouldn't just "fix" something that is meant to be. And their "fix" ruined my entire region of iron that I had.

I exposed 3 mines of iron in my region, had zinc and silver nearby too. Now all those are either rock or underwater thanks to this "fix". I think it was a stupid idea and they shoulda just given the people complaining a rod to give them say 30ql iron veins. It only hurt those of us who set up ONLY for the iron in the region, now there is none and we have a deed set up for no real reason and now no access to iron for a good 5x5km region. This was very poorly handled....

So you are saying that the "fix" removed/moved veins?

Because as far as the Dev-post goes they just added iron-veins... that's it.

I traveled a fair distance, prospecting rock along the way for silver or gold, because i wanted a pendulum. I leave with a friend at a beach, so finding water is the least of our worries.

I did it anyway and guess what? I had fun.

Maybe i did something wrong?

what's wrong with english speaking ppl? not everyone is english speaking and not everyone want to be, speaking english is nothing special, and in 75% of the world u can finish beheaded speaking english;p

English is technically my 3rd language, yet I heard about punctuation, capital letters, and shockingly I am able to type "you" instead of "u",  "people" instead of "ppl", "your" (or was it "year?") instead of "yr" and other atrocities you tried to stuff us with.

Also, while this will be an unbelievable revelation for you, people outside of USA use English for communication too, and not everyone wants to behead each other. Less Fox News, more reality.

I still don't know what you were trying to say in this topic, because reading it physically hurts my eyes. Is that really what you wanted to achieve with your "I am so ganxta I don't need to check my posts before I actually post them" version of (probably) English? If you just want to write something for the sake of writing, try http://www.lipsum.com/ next time.

• Like 1

ilovewurm, eng is my 4th lang :) and im not going to proof anything, if u cant understand what i wrote it does mean that maybe if english is yr mother language then sadly i need to say that u cant communicate in it ;p

You should consider a course in english before you state that your not going to proof read the gibberish that you wrote. And the word is "Whining" Not "Winning".

As for players complaining about the iron, It's an obvious fact that it was not done right, Or they wouldn't have fixed it. And not for you to dispute.

Also next time you decide to post your own questions and answers, Learn a lot more about the game first. And don't answer yourself. That's not "communication".

im reading about this iron here and in game freedom chat and not only, and i think it's very damaging for all around, i'm not saying about new players but about old players who winning here and there all day around, im not paying for my deed and not spending money for upkeep to read everywhere about how poor u ar bcoz u cdnt find any iron....?!?!?!!?!

...hey moment, i took random spawn place at Xanadu, didn't check map before i choosen that spawn point, so if i'm unhappy now by this what u saying about iron veins i should start screaming "aaaaaaaaaaa move me to different location bcoz i don't like that hill 2000km north from me? ", are u guys serious?

most of u got mains with skills 90+ and u knew very well from other server that iron and not only iron are spreaded here or there, and u waiting with yr's 90s to move here, so maybe devs should block borders for 1yr not 1week? maybe we new or low skilled and low experienced players don't want u here? ok i don't want u here u will destropy economy and pleasure from game u got it? it's some exchange u will get more iron veins but u wont be able to move yr 90s mains nor cross borders with xanadu, ar u ok with this deal? why not? u screaming like kids u got no iron so u will hv iron but no mains and no 90 skills and no open borders

or anoother idea, what if at my deed and 100km from my deed there is only iron and i need copper or zinc?, i know what i'll do, i start screaming to devs i want copper, zinc and marble in my area bczo i cant find it they hv to give it to me, why not? i think if iron will be every 10 tiles why not copper or marble? u old and experienced players who scream for iroon will 100% agree with me now, u got yr iron i will hv marble or copper or i don't know what more, this is what u want right? so let's it be

or i got another idea, u got no iron im trying 4th day to find female horses and all i found were 26 male horses, so i want more female horses!!!!! why not? u want more iron i want more female horses, female horse every 10 tiles why not?

i got clay, tar, peat 20mins walk from my deed...moment i cdn't find any moss, even i wont use it i want moss max 10mins walk from my deed!!!! just bcoz u old experienced players who created alts and claimed lands u knew from start they ar worth something, and now u demanding iron? why? why ar u sooooo  special that just for u any member of devs gonna start think u deserve to hv more iron?

i spent 2hrs walking from spawn spot to get to my location i'm now, rummaged 200 tiles and found vein, mined to it, but now just bcoz oof kiddy old experienced players they hv to move or add more iron bcoz u cdn't find any before u placed deed? why is it? if u ar so experienced and will move yr mains here why u cant move iron with u in yr caravels? if u deeded just bcoz u liked tree or water then its yr problem but dont make it everyone problem!

2-3 yrs ago i used to play game on pristine, i did know nothing, died 100s times, made 10000s mistakes, i put my house close to tundra (today i know - don't build in tundra), i had no iron, i had no marble, i didn't know nothing about rummage to moment when i found it in options with my pickaxe activated, after that every day i was running 10mins to mountains to rummage some iron, and i was happy bcoz i could make hammer or nails, i was learning the game step by step, sometimes some1 more experienced i met on the way told me this or that, thenh i was saying some info to another new players about something...but why now u old players want top hv more iron?

show me some land irl with all resources, show tell me USA or europe got all possible resources or tell me that each country got iron and all other possible resources, that every 100km in eahc country is iron mine, marble, copper etc?! i want to know the name, don't give me example of 1 country like russia or South Africa bcoz that ar only 2 countries in this sick world with almost all resources possible to have, but game is not Russia nor South Africa, and even this there ar no iron mines each 100km aparts from anothers!

i don't want to hv all possible resources at my deed, at my location or 100km from my deed....maybe i want to build ship and swimm to neighbours on the other side of the lake i'm at just to buy some moss from them for some iron?

think u old experienced winning players, waiting with 90s mains, with full loaded caravelas just to cross borders before u start demanding something more, bcoz if u start demanding more i start getting ppl and will demand yr mains to be removed from xanadu or to cap yr skill at 20 without possibility to go higher forever, as well without possibility for yr alts nor for ppl who joing yr villages with 90s op mains,

maybe new or not so experienced palyers whom spending 10hrs per day like me with wurpmedia what to and what don't to do could hv chance to create their own part of history in wurm, to create their lands, to build their homes or castles, to learn skills and to start economy?

maybe i and some ppl more who will  train priest skills dfont want someone with name Villager???? maybe hes charges and abilities sdn't be allowed to this server? what mr Villager will say now selling his servie before borders ar opened? more silver for new players at Xanadu then experienced Villager who will destroy Xanadu market or i'm wrong?

mr Villager i DO NOT WANT U HERE, u heared me? if u and ppl like u want more iron then we can say that we don't want overpowered 90s mains from other server next 365 days and then why i supposed to hv u here? maybe i want some1 new in game to enchant my mailbox and pay to him without allowing u to enter Xanadu borders? ...that's only example...but moment now mr Villager will hv to sacrifice a lot of items to enchant mailboxes and he will hv to start screaming bcoz there in area he is now there is no resources he need? what;s wrong with u guys?

What is a link to a translator?

Also, I don't mind going far at all for iron.  I travel over 250 tiles, while dragging a small cart to DIG 500kg of clay, then go 250 tiles back to my camp, going mostly up the mountain.  I mostly climb all the way to my camp.  I'm not too sure why you're complaining, it could always be worse.

Edited by Hashtag

no man i just had to express my feeling slike everyone, i got same rights like ppl winning about iron to express myself or im wrong?

Nobody is winning in wurm.

We´re all just losing.

What did i just read... it hurts my eyes

Edited by Elwood2

Nobody is winning in wurm.

We´re all just losing.

Im winning because I haven't deeded yet ;)

Edited by conmcb25

The post was well written (aside from lacking punctuation and good grammar), made some interesting points and it was nice to see the opinion of the OP.

Our game has players from all over the world. Wurm chat rules force all to post in English, which does facilitate communication, in general. People should be less mocking of those who are not fluent and just try harder to understand the point of it. Or just not read it at all if you find it so difficult.

The the OP: sadly unless you were one of those that started in wurm in the very early days, you will always be playing catch up. At some point that catch up feels closer, so keep at it. But mostly just try to enjoy the game and not worry about old players and their high skills. If you are having fun, that is the most important thing.

I'm glad the iron situation has been cleared up (well, I can only speak for the SW bay, but things have quietened down on the forums too) and the iron debate can make its way to the archives. I'm tired of seeing my name in the title of this post. I made my case as diplomatically as possible, why can't the opposition? This topic is borderline-harrassment.

And to reitterate my case, it has always been that iron seemed unintentionally sparse and I wanted dev feedback, whether by spawning more iron or simply telling us "everything is working as intended". Everyone here is realistic enough to consider the possibility that the server was opened before anyone checked the ore densities, right?

Thankfully everything is now cleared up and I have yet to see an uproar. I would be happy to see the iron debate topics locked up, especially the flame-y one(s)...

The post was well written (aside from lacking punctuation and good grammar), made some interesting points and it was nice to see the opinion of the OP.

Our game has players from all over the world. Wurm chat rules force all to post in English, which does facilitate communication, in general. People should be less mocking of those who are not fluent and just try harder to understand the point of it. Or just not read it at all if you find it so difficult.

English isn´t my native language also (like you would guess i think).

But IF one make a name-calling harressment-post, make this in an english forum, it is the LEAST we can expect, that he uses some time on this mindless rant.

At least enough time to use a google translator to spell simple words right.

Weired that you got such a sensitive soul in one way, but no problem with the hareassment of the frist post.

But i guess that is how hypocritic goody-two-shoes usually are.

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Shrimpiie, June 24, 2014 - Removed - Unncessary
Hidden by Shrimpiie, June 24, 2014 - Removed - Unncessary

I love the title.

upcdX9z.jpg

Edited by Deathangel
  • Like 2