Sign in to follow this  
MrCk

Ore distribution update

So they are redoing the ore distribution it says in the updates,

I am curious though I am paraphrasing here but

"It could be as early as monday, so you might want to start mining now"

Why would we want to start mining, would we have higher chances of getting ore with more blocks of rock? or with less rock density do you get higher chance of ore?

Anyone have any idea, I Am sure I am missing something?

I think he is just meaning if you want the ore you have make sure you mine some. I am not sure how it works but i am thinking like you the more rock in the area the better off you would be. 

Edited by Kegan

All ore is going to be redistributed, so if you got an iron vein on your deed right now it might not be there anymore after the redistribution. The devs are telling us to mine those tiles just in case they are gone soon.

What happens to veins we planted with transmutation rod?

Oh okay, that makes A LOT more sense, thanks for the clarity guys.

Mine whilst you still can for the day of Change comes swiftly upon us like a thief in the night.

Mine, Brethren! MINE!

What happens to veins we planted with transmutation rod?

I am guessing that should be replaced if it is gone after the update and if it was me i would do a /support for a new rod if it was missing. (in fact i might even do a /support before the update to make sure i got it replaced if it goes missing)

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

For gods sake. I find a nice spot with silver and iron and now I'm gonna have to pack up and bloody well move.

personally, I don't think it would be fair to remove veins from people who actually prospected and placed their deeds based on the results of their prospecting.

Add more veins if you want to equalize ore ( which I am not sure I entirely agree with) , but I think they shouldn't be removed.

• Like 4

Last time they did this, I lost all my silver to low ql iron. All my high iron vanished too. Had to sell the deed and move.

• Like 1

Hmm maybe they are doing this to force more ppl to move, in an effort to get more people to go to Xanadu?

For gods sake. I find a nice spot with silver and iron and now I'm gonna have to pack up and bloody well move.

Not necessarily, you could get the same or better or neutral.  

• Like 1

Wow this is tremendously good news for people like myself who placed a deed on a place that has no veins at all. (the island is otherwise really nice) It's pretty amazing in fact that an island this size (around 100x50 tiles) can possibly have turned out without a single vein. It did feel a bit buggy to me. So very very happy to hear this news! Now just have to cross my fingers. I'd be happy with even just one low quality iron vein hehe. 

As for those of you out there who scouted for the perfect place based on the veins it had, then managed to find a dreamy spot and placed a deed. My condolences, I do agree with Andreea that it's quite unfair. I hope the distribution is done in a way that doesn't ruin things too badly for people like that. 

Hmm maybe they are doing this to force more ppl to move, in an effort to get more people to go to Xanadu?

It is just for Xanadu it will not effect the old servers

Thanks for the clarification.. I thought it was ALL servers/

• Like 1

I was thinking about this some more and came up with a solution that may be a bit more fair for the people at risk at losing veins. I myself have not made any mines on my deed because, well there aren't any veins are there? However had my deed had veins, I'd have probably set up a mine by now. I'd have probably planned it out carefully so that it's in both a practical and aesthetically pleasing place. I'd have built a road to it. I'd have made a forge and lighting inside. I might have even built some buildings outside based on this layout. For someone like that, this news may have been devastating since there would be no guarantee that the mine I already made would lead to anything at all and I'd have to start all over.

Solution: Make it so that any veins that players have ALREADY EXPOSED in their mines stay intact, whilst shuffling only the "virgin" rock tiles which have not been uncovered yet.

At least this way all that "other work" a player may have done would not go to waste and it would be a much lesser blow.

• Like 2

Edit: Nevermind.. I should have read all the way down.

Edited by LouisC

Personally, I think Rolf should have left it as is.  Would have created very interesting trading patterns.  Something new in Wurm.

Having said that, was lucky enough to stumble on iron the first prospect after digging out the hillside to find rock so I am somewhat biased I suppose, but whatever.  Will adapt.

• Like 2

Hi,

this smells like the next huge [storm of common bull dung]:

Ore distribution update, and for sure it will keep intact all of the countless copper veins on the Kincans, but will inevitable remove the very few zink, tin, silver and gold veins. As well as change some of our few better iron veins into even more useless copper, too ...

Solution: Make it so that any veins that players have ALREADY EXPOSED in their mines stay intact, whilst shuffling only the "virgin" rock tiles which have not been uncovered yet.

^^ This, and "Like!"

Marking the "veins to be protected" should be an easy job for a database wizard - alone not having the full initial "maxOfMinings" anymore would do. Make a new field "isUnDiscovered" in the "Veins" table, basic value "0". Then:
(UPDATE VEINS SET VEINS.[isUnDiscovered] = 1 WHERE Veins.[MaxOfMinings] LIKE '*000';")    *1)

Easy. Then use veins (WHERE VEINS.[isUnDiscovered] = 1) to shuffle.

Anybody happy, no harm done.

But it's too easy a solution. No drama, no #outcry? This will not happen. "Wurmian tradition".

Fun? It's for you to decide.

*1) My SQL code snippets here are under GPL V3. Available to all and anyone, as long as the rules of GPL V3 are met. To lower the license restrictions, contact me. I'm not a part of the servers-wide dragon-mafia, but would like 4 sets, too, so I hear offers, Rolf ...

=> ;-)))

• Like 1

Unless you made a new Kincan on the new server: only Xanadu Xandra.

I spent 23 hours scouring the server to find a good spot that included the ore I was looking for. I haven't started any mining yet as I'm waiting to do that with my main; I just wanted to know it was there. If that ore is gone after this update I think it's going to be a game-breaker for me.

Its not so good news for a small set of new players Just north West of Vrock Landing, on a very pleasent lake, that is starting to fill up with other new players, we went through some serious prospecting to find a useable ore deposit hidden in some rocks just west of a sand bank. Its a bit of knock to the immersion factor to have these sorts of changes happen a community has built up around that mine, sure we can find another but  a hole in the rock face will now exist as a constant reminder that this is just a game like any other...   

Overall i do accept the changes but its not good...