Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Xanadu fixes

Why do all the current ore tiles need to be shifted around? Is there no way at all to just remove some of the unmined rock tiles and replace them with new veins, keeping all current veins where they are?

I assume that's what they intend to do, they just worded it poorly (I hope)

I've spent 3 days looking for the perfect place for me, before deeding on Xanadu.

I don't plan to play with the toon I made only for this - and only because we were not allowed to use our characters when Xanadu was brought to life.

Now you are coming and telling me I should mine as much as possible, because "oops, you did it again" and released something not enough thought and not enough tested? Mine what with a non-premium character? The place I have chose needs a lot of surface mining before opening any mine, I'm not going to ruin it only to expose those veins to MAYBE keep them when you are going to fix your poor development.

And you are coming and telling me you might remove the veins I have on my deed I paid for? aka stealing my money I used to deed there?

I will ask for a refund if any of my veins is removed, I'm kind of tired of this ripping off attitude you adopted lately towards your players!

Please don't make yourself look silly.

It has always been a given that there might be a few problems that need ironing out getting Xanadu up and running. That's why it isn't connected yet. This way everyone has free to play alts, or can spend a little money getting ahead, but they can't do a huge ton of work with advanced characters that might get wasted. However - it was ALWAYS in the cards that some tweaks and changes would probably be needed. It was never presented as a totally 100% guaranteed "won't ever need a tweak" server".

The Devs have brought us an AWESOME world here. I find it totally stunning, and everyone I know who has seen it loves it. The idea is to adjust something that appears to be slightly off. It really should be better for all of us in the long run, although yeah - it could possibly cause small losses to some. However - we have all been in here just a few days and even if one felt like they had to move - well seriously...the choices are vast.

No one is "stealing" from you, no one is "ripping you off". ###### happens and sometimes you simply have to deal with it.

Seriously......how could you not fall in love with this?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t94nr8aozi0659u/wurm.20140604.1314_1.jpg

And yeah - we do already have iron....and might lose it...and prospected other stuff.....

But I guess we'll always find more if needed.

Edited by Heboric
  • Like 1

Hebronic the point of the amtter that some people like me premiumed our new charcter to get a head start on the "Land Rush" and spent money on a sizeable deed.  In my case i spent  100 dollars on my deed.  I specifically spent that because my deed has what I want on it.  If all of a sudden my ore veins disappear half the reason to deed said spot is gone.  While the location is still great for the view the fact that soemthing was taken away from me after the fact is wrong.  Will I want a refund quite possibly but Ill want the silver back not the cash.   I don't want to have to move because they changed something and have to be forced to pay again for a new deed spot.

I understand. But to be honest I'm not sure how prudent it was to spend that much already unless you took into account the risk involved.

All I'm saying is that everyone knew there could be teething troubles, even many more than we have seen, so to start accusing Rolf and his team of ripping people off is completely unjustified imo.

What risk? How was I suppose to know they were going tor reset all the ores after emailing me about this wonderful Land rush event to get me to come back to wurm which worked, and I havent accused him of ripping me off yet.  I understand why they need to reset the ores, but why wasnt this something checked before they released the server to the public.  If this was a game where I just had to pay a monthly sub to play the game I wouldn't be upset at all if they moved stuff around, but this game isnt a monthly sub its a pay to own game.  I paid for a deed I expect what I paid for to stay there.

A lot has been said about the ore distribution on Xan but for me it all comes down to two things.

First we do not know whether to believe this:

Some ore tiles may relocate at that time

or this:

you may want to try to mine as much as possible until then

The first statement implies thoughtful, carful and limited actions promoting ore diversity across the server; the second suggests mass, automatic and random reshuffling of the resources.

We should know what is going to happen BEFORE it happens!

Second, if Devs go for the latter option (mass reshuffling) then there is nothing they can do to make it absolutelly fair on players. We are going to be ripped off one way or the other. But there are some ways to make it less painful. The steps needed are as follows:

1. Make it quick and make it fast!
  2. If the thing cannot be done in one step then transparency is essential – we need to know when the operation starts and even more important when it ends.
  3. Give us the option to disband our deeds immediately and return ALL the founds in upkeep and TOTAL price of purchasing the deed (founding = later resizes) to our bank account.
  4. Keep Xan closed until the end of the operation plus 7 days.

No you didn't accuse him, but my post you were answering referred to an earlier one that did.

Frankly - I'm not in any position to explain why the ores grouped as they did, but I do know they did a number of test runs with many people playing, and presumably a lot more private ones.

That said - they have always been clear they might hit unforeseen issues, which is why Xanadu is connected yet, and they are easing into things like creature count etc.

Personally I wouldn't worry yet though. No one is at all sure exactly what is going to happen, and it might easily be a lot less of an issue than folks are worried about. It could also be more of course. But in that case complaints would then be based on actual stuff rather than as now..."might be's".

Well if that's the case all it would take is Rofl taking 5 minutes to make a post to ease the fears of everyone.

or you could just not jump to conclusions and be patient, dont assume anything..

i find it amuzing that people expect something of this proportion to work, and not need changes like this, right out of the gate...

Edited by Thor_lyshitski
  • Like 1

well either way we (alliance) have already dropped deeds over this iron deposit at waters edge in a beautiful little bay. Worst case scenario we end up with the same prospects as those in the current iron situation where we log into a barren wasteland of an underground, and have to travel far for iron. Then discuss whom will stay and whom will travel back to old server.

But it's good to know we can mine some of the utmost QL iron ore with our brand new 4 day old characters :) any developers that think someone already has 90 mining needs to read the book on what an exploit really is.

Change our iron mine into a stone mine and I am fairly confident a letter requesting compensation will arrive in your mailbox, no not an email inbox.

I think you should offer free disbands (with all the money returned, including resizing etc) if you reset ore distribution. There will be a lot of reaaaly irritated paying customers otherwise and i'm sure bad press will reach outside this forum.

• Like 2

Why not just give all premium players a rod of iron transmutation?  If I loose iron on my second deed I am out one deed form.

• Like 1

Why not just give all premium players a rod of iron transmutation?  If I loose iron on my second deed I am out one deed form.

Considering you can deed as nonprem on xanadu, this would be better done to all accounts that own a deed.

Edit: Maybe make that rod usable on on the deed (so that it won't become a traded item) and let it have multiple charges depending on deed size (say 1 charge for every 200 tiles)

Edited by bdew

I  am thinking probably we will have more ore tiles in the end. So yes the one you found may get changed but 3 more could show up also.    So be patient.

• Like 4

I am in the same situation as everyone else however, I do feel that we should simply wait and see what the developers do. It may be that they do everything that we want and everyone is happy / content.

If there are further problems then let us trust Rolf and his team to listen to these and deal with them. What they have done so far with Xanadu is nothing short of magnificent.

• Like 1

I  am thinking probably we will have more ore tiles in the end. So yes the one you found may get changed but 3 more could show up also.    So be patient.

Precisely this, the ore reset is not being done to make things worse, if anything you we should end up with more iron in your our local area than you we have now.

Further it has been stated by a GM when this type of thing was done in the past (and at that time) current exposed vien's were not affected.

I am staying positive on this line and hope it works out well for most of the player base, not  necessarily every individual.

Edited by lawurm

Precisely this, the ore reset is not being done to make things worse, if anything you we should end up with more iron in your our local area than you we have now.

Further it has been stated by a GM when this type of thing was done in the past (and at that time) current exposed vien's were not affected.

I am staying positive on this line and hope it works out well for most of the player base, not necessarily every individual.

actually, we lost exposed veins of various ql's. some exposed veins were changed to the new types and were then changed back to iron.

hence the distrust in this case.

• Like 1

actually, we lost exposed veins of various ql's. some exposed veins were changed to the new types and were then changed back to iron.

hence the distrust in this case.

^ This. Last time my utmost copper with 5k+ amount was changed into utmost 5k+ iron. Technically I did not lost anything, but it was my only one good source of copper, while I already had 5 more utmost iron veins.

If this time my only iron vein will turn into marble, I want ability to make marble nails and ribbons. And everything will be fine ...

for me personaly rock is more important then iron, not that iron isnt important but not for me. so im not all that affected by the ore shuffling. i still feel that this is the work of some exceptional whine thats been going on in the forums.

i was in on the land rush event and the only thing i have done since it went live is to katalog the server prospecting noteing trees, biomes and mobs on the map i got plenty of iron sources dotted out over my map from 5 days of prospecting. i also have alot of other ores dotted out on the map, this is what hurts the most for me i spent a solid 5 days just walking and taking notes all over xandu.

now im not sure what the actual ore distribution looks like but i have been able to find plenty of ores on the eastern half of the map atleast, both north and south.

atleast i didnt start deeding stuff yet.

Edited by Tokeri

Sign in to follow this