Sign in to follow this  
Leroy

letter to xanadu community about highways

this is a wonderful opportunity for a server community to plan ahead regarding highway projects. I know not everyone is fond of highways or roads in their area, and that is why I bring this topic up today. numerous individuals have acknowledged the apparent nature of regional ores. if regional ores are an intended action then the goal was to encourage player movement or encourage players to cluster into areas of population. either goal would benefit greatly in a simplified highway plan.

what I would suggest would be to not focus on independent highways linking settlements in a patchwork approach, but to focus at first of connecting the starter towns on a circuit. having a highway system resembling that of island nations such as Iceland. a central route for trade or transport of individuals without the hassle of twisted roads through deeds.

three tile wide, heading for as long of a stretch as possible in a compass direction from one starter town to the next closest starter town.

from that highway or starter town individuals could establish alliance communities or trek off into more isolated areas without having to roll through wilderness before having a chance to hit a highway and efficiently find a path to a more populated city or a common point to meet for trade deals.

• Like 4

why three tiles seems like overkill two would do fine

• Like 5

highways are going to be hard this map even more so if you want to avoid caves the amount of vertical change is huge even going a small distance in most places on the map

i don't want any highway around where i live, please no landbridges either

• Like 1

I don't own my perimeter but I'm guessing roads that appear in it might get stolen by goblins.

• Like 5

Leroy,

I see your highway idea as an excellent one in the way you have described it, unfortunately this will never work within Wurm for a number of reasons, the main one being that the topography prohibits it, even if the land was completely barren of any deeds. A highway system as you mention would have to be built into the server upon release, conforming the landscapes to that purpose and prohibiting building on its route. Xanadu has also too many water areas that block any continued routes, to further disrupt this plan.

The best I see happening is as what has previously happened, that being that some players will work in cooperation to build highways and others will add to them independently. In the interim deeds will be placed in outer areas which will block further progress and disrupt any possible routes to continue. To expect the whole server player base to restrain itself and conform to some nebulous unplanned future continued highway system to connect all starter towns together is extremely optimistic beyond reason. This will never happen. Sweet dreams.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

I also know that goblins in my area are willing to steal all roads  :lol:

roads. Ugly.  Every road tile is one less tile of natural resource in the area.  Love how beautiful Xanadu is right now.

• Like 2

Fully owned island here. No more highways ever. Thank the gods.

• Like 2

Roads as landmarks helping traffic might be a good idea. Road network as a whole is useless in my opinion, other than beginners ride horses or carts anyway where roads are irrevelant. Okay, I tend to get lost on the surface as well still I like to wander aroun in untouched nature and slopes.

I'm not completely against roads, if nothing blocks it I'll try to build one from the nearest spawn to our alliance - I see some potential fun and economy advantage in it.

I wouldnt necessarily worry about spawn points.

Id see where the market hubs pop up and start connecting there.

Get the wheels of commerce moving

Wheels of commerce work well enough from a mailbox and dock instead of 42 marketplaces.

indeed. just putting this out there if anything to get others to do some similar planning. xanadu being larger than all freedom isles together would benefit from a starter to starter route, not to be confused with a road to each starter from one spot, but more of a string of lights, one road in from the last and a road out to the next.

mentioning this plan with any luck would help have those whom dislike roads in general, perhaps decide to deed a bit further to the north if there are starter towns due east and due west. nothing is perfect. but the size would be like a situation where to get from north indy to south celebration required you to take a cart, or else you are sailing from the west coast of chaos, to go around the south tip of celebration, north around the coast of indy back south to cross back into chaos to land on the east coast. that is how large this server is in comparative terms.

yes I realise how large this project is, working all the time 300 players would need approximately 2 weeks just to plot a path, cut trees and pack dirt. that is not figuring in tunnels or land bridges, mining rock for pavers or active support activities.

Maybe instead just have a couple of roads from each starter deed go straight (well, as straight as possible) towards the nearest coastline with good ocean access.

Most of the starter deeds are a full Exodus sized map apart from each other, with mountains and water inbetween. Also, why would someone want to be walking from one to the other? There are better locations to place the main trade hubs anyhow. Trade hubs should be placed by the water for easy access. Maybe put some at the end of those roads I suggested ;)

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy roads within Wurm and creating them within my local areas. I would always prefer the 1 tile rural type roads but when years ago they added GM protection and intervention to protect 2 tile roads as highways, I started to build a few to protect them from being destroyed if they were one tile roads. Many others made this highway choice as well for this reason, which then led to the more vainglorious thinking that 3 tile roads were even the better choice.

Due to the restrictive travel options within Wurm roads are a vital part of getting from one place to the next overland. I always build a 1 tile road around or through my deeds for the consideration of others access to points beyond. Unfortunately there are those who care little about this and block off access to points beyond. Just another of the points that make Wurm a little less functional and enjoyable. What can ya do.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I'm not all that enthralled with the idea of some organized major highway project.   I may put in some roads some day in areas where the terrain can get confusing as an assist but if I do it they will follow the terrain and not try to brute force their way through in some cardinal direction.

I'd prefer it grew up organically over time.

Edited by belthize
  • Like 1

People will create roads to the places they need to go and it will spider out from there. Markets at both Greymead and Lormere seem to be the most logical ways to do it with the server being the size it is. Those who want access to marketplaces will connect, those that wish to stay secluded may do so. And from the map the rivers and inlets all coming in from the sea will allow reasonable ship travel to almost everywhere.

Edited by Icelion

Three is imho, ugly and unnecessary.  Just let highways form naturally.  Some like them some don't.

Edit: haha goblins stealing the tile :)

Edited by BuddyDude

I appreciate highways, but can we please do away with the sandbars on either side that Independence has? I would rather a slab-cobble-slab pattern, or a simple cobble-cobble to keep it non-invasive. I just can't stand the look of sand, especially when it spills over the side of a mountain or something.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree about the sand thing. It turns a 3 tile wide road into a 5 tile wide road and just looks horrible.

Where highways DO happen, as they eventually will.. I have a request.... 

If you wanna connect a highway to your deed, and you're one of those people for whom the WORLD will END if the 25 tiles from the highway to your deed aren't ALSO 2-wide.... please... ffs PLEASE... 

Use signs, gatehouses, rope fencing, paving different from the highway itself, SOMETHING that'll let a long distance traveller know that "the highway turns left here" instead of having one find out by finally reaching a dead end.  (Typically people who want "a highway from the highway to my deed" have a fully closed-off deed to begin with).

In my case, easy enough to turn around and let that damned troll have it, but don't think that's the case for everyone.

• Like 5

The sand on independence I also don't like, I never used that myself when I build the highway from the SW bay to FM, I just used 2 wide cobble, which is plenty. I'd suggest just using 2 wide cobble, three is overkill and also just makes it harder to get the road to go over/past a mountain. I used to put a sign at pretty much every crossing, one giving the direction to FM and the other giving the direction to the SW bay. Good ql signs are vital at crossing points so people don't get lost or miss their turn.

• Like 2

I

If you wanna connect a highway to your deed, and you're one of those people for whom the WORLD will END if the 25 tiles from the highway to your deed aren't ALSO 2-wide.... please... ffs PLEASE...

Use signs, gatehouses, rope fencing, paving different from the highway itself, SOMETHING that'll let a long distance traveller know that "the highway turns left here" instead of having one find out by finally reaching a dead end. (Typically people who want "a highway from the highway to my deed" have a fully closed-off deed to begin with).

In my case, easy enough to turn around and let that damned troll have it, but don't think that's the case for everyone.

big bump for that. even once it becomes a mess of tangled roads at least having a regional method of marking a major, super highway that passes through the region would make me personally very happy and anyone trying to pass through three servers worth of land.

and again I know not everyone likes roads, but I hope you would agree not everyone will like getting lost on a server that, as estimates suggest, take 10+ hrs to cross. side note to those who dislike travelers, the faster the get to the destination, the faster they leave yours :)

Use signs, gatehouses, rope fencing, paving different from the highway itself, SOMETHING that'll let a long distance traveller know that "the highway turns left here" instead of having one find out by finally reaching a dead end.  (Typically people who want "a highway from the highway to my deed" have a fully closed-off deed to begin with).

If you think it's a problem, wait until you one day need to deliver something inland with a cart, decide to follow a road, need to pass by that small road built between the water and a cliff and discover that during the last two weeks you were last there, someone raised the area made a full deed by the water and blocked all way to go through or around if you are on a wagon/cart. Enjoy your random large detours because someone doesn't want to walk through his deed. I have seen people build by the water and totally block fast cart/wagon circulation so many times it's not funny.

Edited by Serpentarius