Sign in to follow this  
Kalor

So it is another one of "those" posts.

So I started playing Wurm years ago, in game my main was created in 1009.  I took a long break because the graphics and gameplay were bad.  Came back recently and found the graphics have much improved but the gameplay is still lacking.   I figured I would stick it out and check out Xanadu.  Well that is a let down on a scale that matches the map size. 

While Xanadu is pretty, new, and packed full of NPCs, it is boring, bland, and much the same as every other map.   This with the fact that you will only be able to sail there or create a new character and portal there from GV, is well lame (to be polite).   The game is still very boring, very grind based, and very lacking.  While I am sure some of you are excited by the opportunity to dig holes and make giant dirt walls, I find them ugly and pointless.   Having to sit around and grind for DAYS just to have a skill worth using is cumbersome at best.   I am not saying that the game should be instant, but right now this is as bad as Eve Online with the skills, why should I sit at my computer for months at 12 hours a day, just to have a skill above 70.   At 16EUD every 2 months or 10EUD per month for a subscription, when Xsyon is about 15% less per month and offers much the same gameplay mechanics.   Or Starwars Galaxies:EMU is free and is the original SWG.   The problem I am having is the price vs value isn't where I feel it should be.  The game has improved a great deal over the past 5+ years but it is still "meh".   

-CONS-

The combat system is boring, and dated. 

The skill system is continental drift slow. (except on Epic where it is Iceberg slow, which is an improvement)

+PROS+

The graphics are good for the scale of the game.

The crafting system (Mainly housing) is nice.

I could go on for ever nit picking over little things but I kept it to two and two. 

How I would suggest improving these things.

The combat system needs depth, give a reason to wear something other than plate or drake.  Give some other reason to use anything other than a longsword and a large metal shield.   Add some more player interaction in the combat system other than click attack and spam the shield bash button and focus button. 

Increase the skill gain speed, or just cut the number of places the skills are carried out to.  Example- Current system Foraging- 41.34675, suggested system Foraging- 41.34.  DONE, no need to have 6 decimal places for a skill.  If you just gave a hundredth of a skill point every tick, it would be 10X faster than it is now.   It would still be slow, but it wouldn't be mind numbingly slow. 

Last suggestion, while the crafting window was cool, it is huge, reduce the size of it or at least give the option to reduce its size.  

In closing, my subscription expires in a few days, I highly doubt I will be renewing it this time, and may just wait another 5 years if Wurm survives that long to see if it has changed any.    It is sad because Wurm online has the potential to be a great sandbox game, but right now it is just meh.   And this is why it isn't drawing a larger player base.

• Like 1

In my opinion wurms combat system is the best ive ever seen. -_-

• Like 1

you know, I tried WoW for about a week. I found it lacked depth in character story. I also found the combat system overly involved and distracting from the blue and purple particle effects. it also had far too many dwarves and elves. it needed a lower monthly fee and more realism in its environment, it's female models did little to arouse my interests.

edit: I never posted a single thing on their forums, decided it was not for me and moved on.

Edited by Leroy
  • Like 1

it also had far too many dwarves and elves. 

I am offended.  :(

• Like 1

The thing is, there's a reason people play games like Civ on Marathon, where the game takes weeks to complete. Because some things are worth savouring, sometimes the gargantuan amount of time something requires makes it more satisfying to complete.

• Like 13

Same old story bro... and that is.. those that love this game will be here for years to come... those that don't make ridiculous posts such as this.

• Like 1

IMO the single worst part about this game is its community. You can use this thread as an example, but ofcourse not only this thread.

There are some nice people here and there, but most of the community consists of angry veterans who feel like the game revolves around them and will be against every single thing which includes change. 

People often advertise wurm online as "Great socializing game" yet everyone is fighting with each other over land, and nobody wants to see anyone else in their local. If you're a newbie you're going to have a very tough time unless you can find a nice person to help you, the rest will act as if you're an Al Qaida terrorist who is about to Allahuakbar their deed.

Just earlier today I logged into xanadu to check it out, and I saw tons of people fighting (mostly the veterans from other servers ofcourse) over why johnny claimed land close to their own deed. Land which isn't even theirs.

• Like 5

Some people just like drama, I like neighbors myself I like seeing my local area change and develop. But everyone has different play styles in a sandbox I guess.

IMO the single worst part about this game is its community.

I'm really happy for you and I'ma let you finish but wat?

This games community compared to any other game I've ever played is beyond amazing. Every relationship you form or interaction you have reflects on your reputation throughout the community, I've bought something as simple as 'dirt' from people whom have since become friends and my go-to people when it comes to recommending them for their services or when ever I need to buy something again.

If you happen to be a bit of d-bag to people, you'll find out quickly enough how much your reputation matters in the game. :P

• Like 9

I'm really happy for you and I'ma let you finish but wat?

This games community compared to any other game I've ever played is beyond amazing. Every relationship you form or interaction you have reflects on your reputation throughout the community, I've bought something as simple as 'dirt' from people whom have since become friends and my go-to people when it comes to recommending them for their services or when ever I need to buy something again.

If you happen to be a bit of d-bag to people, you'll find out quickly enough how much your reputation matters in the game. :P

well said

Well Kalor glad you got that off your chest hope you find a game you like.

BTW outside of a few you may have played with do you really think anyone cares why and or that your leaving a game.

Here is a clue: NO

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya on your way out.

Ill make a review on Kalor.

I found it lacking of substance, the walls of text reveal nothing new.   It is unoriginal, and has very little value, regarding its credentials.

-CONS-

Insipid, too many words for not saying anything of real value.

-PROS-

He is leaving.

• Like 6

Same old story bro... and that is.. those that love this game will be here for years to come... those that don't make ridiculous posts such as this.

Actually he is right. Wurm needs improving, and what he suggested would not only improve the game for those that already like it, but would also give wurm what it needs the most, a healthy pop.

• Like 4

Actually he is right. Wurm needs improving, and what he suggested would not only improve the game for those that already like it, but would also give wurm what it needs the most, a healthy pop.

Maybe so, but there's many that like it just fine as is.  It's a niche game and always has.  I am far from a veteren but enjoy it aside from some bug fixery long over due.  We can't please everyone and , in this matter, to try is only to fail.

Edited by Nomadikhan

If people really didnt care or like the game, they wouldnt bother to make a post when they leave with suggestions for improvement. People do that, and I have done that, when I feel the game has so much potential, but is frustrating or being held back for ridiculous reasons.  Most people don't bother to make an "exit post" when they stop playing totally crappy games....

I think for a lot of people, including me, Wurm will remain that niche odd indy game that could've been great, but never was and probably never will be, but players who have enough sunk costs, financial or emotional into this game, will still find some type of joy in it and I'm happy for them.  I am just glad sandbox games are making a comeback and things like Life is Feudal and many others are on the horizon.

Edited by dreadlordnaf
  • Like 6

If people really didnt care or like the game, they wouldnt bother to make a post when they leave with suggestions for improvement. People do that, and I have done that, when I feel the game has so much potential, but is frustrating or being held back for ridiculous reasons.  Most people don't bother to make an "exit post" when they stop playing totally crappy games....

I think for a lot of people, including me, Wurm will remain that niche odd indy game that could've been great, but never was and probably never will be, but players who have enough sunk costs, financial or emotional into this game, will still find some type of joy in it and I'm happy for them.  I am just glad sandbox games are making a comeback and things like Life is Feudal and many others are on the horizon.

This is the truth, I don't hate Wurm, I just find it bland currently.   Like eating a plain baked potato, no butter, no sour cream, no bacon, no cheese, just a potato.   It is good at first but it gets real boring real fast. 

All I suggested is stuff I have seen over the past 5 years get posted over and over and over again in the suggestion forums or by people who have quit the game and said why they left.   It isn't like I am suggesting the whole game is horrid and should be scrapped and started over by a more competent development team, like I did with Mortal Online.   I feel Rolf is just stagnant and stuck in his ways, and refusing to change.   How long did it take him to get around to working on bridges?  Let alone new graphic models and the crafting window.   I won't even go into the bug fixes.... nope lets add a new island that is bigger and shiny to distract the mindless few from the fact that nothing was fixed.    

• Like 1

You don't have to like it in order for us to enjoy it. You're entitled to your opinion, although I don't see any point to your post since you obviously have no real interest in the game.