Sign in to follow this  
mememachine

Likelyhood of a PvP Xanadu

Am just going to get some vets opinions (or even Rolf's) on the likelihood a PvP version of the Xanadu event will happen. I am very interested in this game, but I just cannot bring myself to play on a server where PvP will basically be nonexistent. PvE/AI just cannot challenge you the way a real person can, and once you learn all the patterns and such it just ends up becoming stale. Building alone cannot satiate me either, because past a point you are just making your stuff bigger and bigger because you really dont have much else to do, not to mention there is very little incentive to build up a fortress anyway when there is no PvP.

Also before Epic is presented to me, I don't want to start on a server that is years old and I will be behind for a very long time without some hardcore grinding. I know the curve and xp boost is there to alleviate some of that, but there are other games I can play for PvP without being at such a disadvantage.

The sandbox aspect of this game is very appealing, and if a new server was started similar to Xanadu which is PvP I could definitely see myself playing this game. So I have to ask what is the likelihood of such a thing happening?

Edited by mememachine

so you want a bigger server, for pvp, and expect more pvp then the current small servers?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a pvp server the size of xanadu, but your going to be seeing LESS pvp due to how spread out people will be, not more.

with that said, I think it'd be pretty interesting, as people would have to search a bit more.

• Like 1

Very low I'd guess.

On epic, you can't catch up and be useful in PvP fairly quickly. With Chaos, I expect most that play there wouldn't want to leave, as they've invested so much time.

So, Rolf would be putting in a large investment, hoping that tons of new players join Wurm and stick around for the PvP, which is unlikely. (Especially the numbers of people you'd need to make a server the size of Xanadu feasible)

so you want a bigger server, for pvp, and expect more pvp then the current small servers?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a pvp server the size of xanadu, but your going to be seeing LESS pvp due to how spread out people will be, not more.

with that said, I think it'd be pretty interesting, as people would have to search a bit more.

Seems I forgot that Xanadu is the biggest server, I am not implying in the slightest that the new PvP server would need to be nearly as large, or even large at all, but a single server which is new would be the best, I think that splitting up epic into home servers where invaders get debuffed is bad for PvP, so seeing everyone on a single server, and letting the players decide the territory for each faction on that server would be a better alternative anyway as it inherently incites more conflict as factions want to have more land for themselves.

Edited by mememachine

eyyyy reset epic

then we'll all have more fun \o/

(Also, in theory.  PvP would be more prevalent on Xanadu.. there's 530 people online right now.  But that is in a perfect world where people would be okay with PvP.  Heh..)

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 1

Well, it would be great to have a Xanadu-size server with 600-1000 players and territorial warfare as we have on Chaos...

What I like about Chaos is that you don't have to PVP the whole time. Fighting is quite rare, but when you do it, it's utterly important to win.

Edited by Bittereinder
  • Like 1

eyyyy reset epic

(Also, in theory.  PvP would be more prevalent on Xanadu.. there's 530 people online right now.  But that is in a perfect world where people would be okay with PvP.  Heh..)

Its in the PvE side of the map, So PvP can't happen unless you KOS or something right?I am not so familiar with the rules of PvE servers, but it seems implied that PvP can't really happen normally from the rules. Also things like lockpicking are illegal which eliminates a couple skills and parts of the economy because of that.

To be honest because xanadu is the biggest I really thought it would have a pvp area.

There should be a new pvp server anyway. Reset chaos....

• Like 1

Am just going to get some vets opinions (or even Rolf's) on the likelihood a PvP version of the Xanadu event will happen. I am very interested in this game, but I just cannot bring myself to play on a server where PvP will basically be nonexistent. PvE/AI just cannot challenge you the way a real person can, and once you learn all the patterns and such it just ends up becoming stale. Building alone cannot satiate me either, because past a point you are just making your stuff bigger and bigger because you really dont have much else to do, not to mention there is very little incentive to build up a fortress anyway when there is no PvP.

Also before Epic is presented to me, I don't want to start on a server that is years old and I will be behind for a very long time without some hardcore grinding. I know the curve and xp boost is there to alleviate some of that, but there are other games I can play for PvP without being at such a disadvantage.

The sandbox aspect of this game is very appealing, and if a new server was started similar to Xanadu which is PvP I could definitely see myself playing this game. So I have to ask what is the likelihood of such a thing happening?

You make some sense but not in the way you are explaining yourself.  If you want pvp which to be existent, then join one of the few groups who think the same and are trying to do something about it. Why just sit on the side lines and wait? PVP has actually started to become a bit more active recent in the past few months and i do not see it getting any worse, in fact i think it will just keep getting better. The few things i can agree with is the fact that Rolf needs to get off his arse and balance the game so its not 100% in favor of vets. Granted I am not saying that vets should not be rewarded for being around and skilling their toons for many years, but im talking in terms of balance, such as the lack of balanced armor types and protections, as well as the lack of balanced weapons vs armors. This and also a few other things such as spreading out more HOTA type events which will make the larger Vet kingdoms have to make a decision to either split their forces to cover more ground and win more of these HOTA type events or to focus on one of them.

Anyway to the OP, good luck. If you only play from the side lines i fear you will be on the side lines for a very long time. If you want to do something about the way Wurm PVP is, then get in line.

eyyyy reset epic

At this point I am actually having more fun on my main on Epic then I was when I was on Chaos before I was shafted by the deed I was on, or the 15min I spent on Xanadu.  I was completely bored when I was on Xanadu, while it is BIG and packed full of NPCs for now, it is, bland.  Having to use this account as a new account to get there was a big, was one of several things that just kind of killed it for me.

Merge both chaos and the epic cluster into one new server. No need to split an already small playerbase.

Also, have a bigger map. Another map the size of chaos will do nicely. Elevation is so tiny there's barely any room for one PMK.

Edited by Merc
  • Like 2

Merge both chaos and the epic cluster into one new server. No need to split an already small playerbase.

Also, have a bigger map. Elevation is so tiny there's barely any room for one PMK.

Having thought about it alot, i also belive this is the answer.

If we have new players that complain they will be too far behind on epic cluster. Which in a direct sense is true. We cant say the customer is wrong, its his true feelings, and that is what eventually will decide if he/she continue to stay and play the premium game.

Epic Clusters main purpose of creation back in the days was directed to the customer demand of a faster phased gameplay, so it would be easier to catch up.

I dont believe in creating more server clusters, coz i dont like the idea of splitting the wurm community up. And the same problem will just happen again.

If there is only 1 game instead of 2 games of wurm. Then there will be more action in PVP and more interractions with ppl.

But there is still ways to fix it, even thou it sounds impossible.

If the skill curve is roughly twice as easy on Epic cluster, (i hear it degrade at the top end still)

But this means there is a mathematical formula applied to these Epic skills compared to freedom cluster.

If we raise the max Skill level to 200 in the wurm game, it will be possiable to merge the game into One.

The wurm game would use the Epic game rules.

And everyones skill would be converted to the calculated skill based on epic servers curve.

Example:

If you have 95 Diggin on Epic, you will still have 95 diggin after merge.

If you have 95 Diggin on Freedom, after a merge and recalculation of your skill you would be like skill level 160 of the max cap 200.

If you are a old player that had 95 diggin on your same freedom char, but portaled over to epic and have 95 diggin skill there too on same char, then ur combined effort will result in like 190 skill of 200.

As long as the same math applies to everyone and its based on real numbers that reflects the gametime and actions u put into the game, then it will be fair

And to the epic guys that might think this is unfair, well if its epic curve that is in the game, then u guys know u will in like 1 week have skilled up to 150+ skill anyway.

More room for PMK and also easier creation of a PMK is needed, just so you dont have to feel forced to join the 2-3 existing sides that ruled the world forever.

Well im not gonna ramble on more about this, since I doubt this will happen. Its more likely the wurm game will be splited and divided up even further so have fun playing with the 10 other ppl on your old server.

Or instead of going off on how far behind you start out, actually give it effort to get to that higher level. Anyone starting out in a business faces an already well established competition base, but if you actually work at it you can compete. I mean, grinding is the game, and it is easier to grind skills on Epic, in that you will cut the catchup time in half to get up to speed with other players, there really isn't much more you can ask for :(

Edited by Shrimpiie

Or instead of going off on how far behind you start out, actually give it effort to get to that higher level. Anyone starting out in a business faces an already well established competition base, but if you actually work at it you can compete. I mean, grinding is the game, and it is easier to grind skills on Epic, in that you will cut the catchup time in half to get up to speed with other players, there really isn't much more you can ask for :(

Yeah this is basically my sentiment on the matter. Also PvP, more than PvE, is a team game. You are not always competing with another player alone. Whether you have 5 or 100 fighting skill, you are another cog in the great wheel of your chosen kingdom. As nice as a 100 Fighting solider would be, ten 50 skilled players will always win. Don't focus so much on "catching up", instead try to find a kingdom that you can find something to do for, and in return what you are lacking will be provided. 

However, I do echo the sentiment that home servers on Epic are not good for PvP in general. To much advantage and goings-on for much opportunity to start some trouble. 

Lastly, hell no, do not merge Chaos and Epic please! Having a PvP stop on the Freedom cluster is so awesome I simply can not describe. They are two different ball-games right now, and I much prefer the styles that Chaos is offering. 

• Like 1

Also, have a bigger map. Another map the size of chaos will do nicely. Elevation is so tiny there's barely any room for one PMK.

Merging Chaos and Epic is insane and will never happen for more reasons that I could list here ;)

• Like 1

We dont need any new servers atm. The player base isn't ready for new server.

Chances of a new pvp server, especially anywhere near the size of Xanadu are Zero. The pvp servers that do exist already attract only a small portion of the player base. That being the case, it would make little sense to make another one.

Just a few years back the Epic servers were created with all kinds of special abilities enabled upon them that the rest of the servers do not have, i.e. accelerated skill gain, fast travel to them from any server by player built portals anywhere they choose, special ore. etc. This was done with the intent to attract more players to pvp while Rolf devoted many hours (and continues to do so) to enhance this effect. Also was the concept to give players a "fresh start" equality in pvp on those servers. The present status of the Epic servers can be observed as to the effectiveness of all this time and effort devoted to the same.

If anyone can look at the results objectively from experience over this period of time, I would hardly think that they could justify a suggestion such as the OP has made. No doubt Rolf will continue to devote his focus and efforts upon pvp; but, with the new Wurm staff the game continues to progress in the direction that the vast majority of players prefer, PvE. The pvp gamers of Wurm should just be happy that the god of it continues his enjoyment of its pursuit, otherwise it would soon diminish into insignificance as the true potential of the PvE game continues to emerge.

Thar ye have it!

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Offhand Id say it depends on how the current Xanadu functions in terms of gameplay and underthehood stuff. Not to mention whenever Rolf feels the pvp cluster needs another map.

I'd rather see Epic improved than another server started.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with Chaos, it has plenty of space, and the PMKs are taking off.   Now more then ever there is even less reason to have another PvP server on the cluster.    There is so much unused space on this server it's quite insane.  

Edited by Battlepaw