Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Prevent targeting and attacking your mount

This is the SECOND time this has happened to me and it should not be allowed since NOBODY would ever do this intentionally.

I went up to fight a troll.  there were two crocs in the grass as well.  I went to position my horse for the attack and something targeted the horse, which immediately caused my horse to turn.  The moment the horse turned, I also double-clicked to target the troll - only my horse's head swung around mere milliseconds before.  I then realized I was attacking my horse!  I tried to target the troll but couldn't because my horse's head was in the way because of the angle of the tile.  I could not untarget my horse for anything!  I finally jumped off the horse but not before he was nearly killed.  If he did not have the chain barding on, I would have dropped him quick.

I backed away, but because of getting hit my movement was slow.  I kept choosing no target but the horse was mad and kept attacking me.  Eventually, I got away from him.  The troll followed me because I targeted the troll to lead him away from the horse.  I eventually died.

All in all it was a total mess and all because my horse's head got in the way of my targeting.  I did manage to get my horse and heal him before he died.

Simply put, a player should not be able to target his own mount.  I can only imagine how this has played out in PVP in countless encounters where the enemy attacks the horse before the rider.

PLEASE prevent targeting of your mount when mounted.  Nobody would want to do this and it is a tragedy just waiting to happen (again).

If someone tries to target their own mount, display the message:  "You may not target your mount." or something like that.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 3

yep it sucks when it happends, and happends to any1 at some point

I killed one of my best horses like this one time. I was targeting a monster, the game lagged, and when it un-froze I had apparently been attacking, and in a few hits, had killed my horse. I didn't have a chance to un-target. It was battle, freeze, unfreeze, dead-horse. To say I was displeased was a massive understatement.

I'm torn on this... My gut reaction is to of course agree with the OP because basically - it's just a good idea.  So - yes, I agree... it should be corrected.

However, having been on a recent unique hunt with some teammates on Pristine, I ended up killing 5 speed horse due to some mis-targeting of my own and have to admit that while frustrating, it created a great deal of laughter for not only myself, but the entire group.  Yes, it was a pain and frustrating... but melted away in light of the hilarity. 

• Like 1

The moment the horse turned, I also double-clicked to target the troll - only my horse's head swung around mere milliseconds before.  I then realized I was attacking my horse!

You double clicked on a horse to target it?  Last I knew double clicking a nontame/tame horse would only examine, did you go hunted and have a hunted horse?  Otherwise I'm not sure how you targeted a horse by examining it :huh:

-1 though, I've onced taunted my horse by drunk and didn't kill it, keybind targetted my horse once and didn't even hit it.  It's really rare and requires actually paying attention, and probably not using a keybind to target.  You shouldn't limit sandbox options just because you think nobody else would ever do it

• Like 1

Always fun to do this accidentally even when one uses keybinds like me :P

You double clicked on a horse to target it?  Last I knew double clicking a nontame/tame horse would only examine, did you go hunted and have a hunted horse?  Otherwise I'm not sure how you targeted a horse by examining it :huh:

-1 though, I've onced taunted my horse by drunk and didn't kill it, keybind targetted my horse once and didn't even hit it.  It's really rare and requires actually paying attention, and probably not using a keybind to target.  You shouldn't limit sandbox options just because you think nobody else would ever do it

I most definitely targeted him with a double-click.  I was not hunted nor was the horse.  If we are not supposed to be able to double-click and target, then this is a serious bug.  As for the sandbox argument, lol, Rolf limits this sandbox with every update.

I most definitely targeted him with a double-click.  I was not hunted nor was the horse.  If we are not supposed to be able to double-click and target, then this is a serious bug.  As for the sandbox argument, lol, Rolf limits this sandbox with every update.

So because Rolf "limits the sandbox every update"(bug fixes?/removing unintended behavior?) you think the argument that you shouldn't limit sandbox options is invalid?

While I certainly understand the "realism" and "sandbox" arguments, and I wouldn't go so far as to call killing my own mount a "tragedy", this really hasn't added anything useful in exchange for all the frustrations.   +1

Done this once myself, but that was when i used to think combat was exciting....

Having the horse go transparent to the rider's view would be just as good imo.   ;)

Edited by lawurm

This shouldn't happen with double click anymore, are you sure you weren't using attack>target?

My brother did kill his horse like this once, i attacked mine a while back, but for a long time now, double clicking hasn't been targetting non-aggros. Unless it was a hellhorse?

Maybe some setting i have set that makes it like so? Will check when i'm not on a break anymore, if i remember xp.

Done this once myself, but that was when i used to think combat was exciting....

Having the horse go transparent to the rider's view would be just as good imo.   ;)

Then how the f**k would you know which way you're heading? Its bad enough with all the lag and jerky reaction.

• Like 1

Then how the f**k would you know which way you're heading? Its bad enough with all the lag and jerky reaction.

roflmao, good point, ive seen direction arrow markers at the top of screens in other games that do this, maybe that could work here as well.

Just an idea  :P  and like you and mrgary stated it cant happen like that any more, supposedly.

Yep ive done targeted and killed my horse before, kinda crazy sence your riding him.

+1

Pointless mollycoddling. I regularly choose to attack my mount to teach it a lesson when it goes too slow. Learn to target better.

ppl have to realize too much realism is what makes the game bad in the end, u already have to care for many things when hunting and pvp'ing having to watch not to target your own horse should not be one of them, atleast not now when the movement is so broken.

if u try to target something that is to the right of your horses head and somehow had a movement done in the last 2 seconds the horse might get in the way in right before u press the target keybind and u end up attacking it instead of the target, for that u have to face your horse away from what u want to target ,that is slow and it just delays ppl that hunt.

many say u should never use keybind to target, well i don't like to right click read who i selected, then scroll down and attack, that is really annoying  i can understand using that for pvp, but hunting should be different.

+1

Last time I checked, I couldn't attack any hitched animal. I'm not sure if this is true on PvP but, I don't see why, if you can't attack animals that are 'part of a vehicle' in Wurm, that you should be able to attack your own mount.

I much prefer to hunt from horseback than from a cart, so why do I have to run the risk of clobbering my own mount whilst trying to defend it and me from attacks ? The deadliest threat to my own mount is my weapons and FS. The only reason my horse survived my last misclick is because he was saddled and couldn't pursue me to his death. And because I was encumbered from hunting, it was a close run thing to get myself out of his target range before he committed suicide.

I also see no reason why on PvE, any player should be able to target a mounted horse, when to spar with another player you'd have to have them agree to it. I've never found out if I can accidently attack a co-hunter's mount, but imo it shouldn't be part of PvE mechanisms.

If you want to 'spar' with your own horse, dismount and target it. If you want something other than sparring, petition for a riding crop or whip item (or coding) for the purpose of inciting your animals to go faster.