Sign in to follow this  
Alyeska

Musical instrument and skills

Musical Instruments and skills.
It's been suggested before but here it is again - a thought out plan to how this could be added to wurm.
Musical instruments and making music would be somewhat similar to how puppeteering and sermons function.

A song would be composed of a number of lines, about 15 lines. Every instrument has their own lines but they can be played harmoniously together. The lines would be repeated a number of times before the song ends.

Much like puppeteering, your skill in a certain instrument would determine whether you succeed or fail to play your line. The instrument QL helps in succeeding. Succeeding would result in the line being played, failing would produce no sound for that particular line. Much like sermoning, you may play your instrument and if it is within a certain radius of another player who is playing their instrument, the game will recognize this players presence. You will join in their song rather than starting your own.

In example, X is playing the drum. He starts his action timer which lasts 3 minutes. He will play alone, so just the sound of his drum will be heard. He starts playing line 1, plays 2, 3, 4. When he starts to play line 5, Y stands next to him and starts playing the bagpipes. Instead of starting at line 1, he will start at line 5 and join the music of the drum player. Now both the drum and the bagpipes will be heard. His timer will be shorter than three minutes so both instruments end at the same time.

An overall new skill tab "instruments" would be added. Each instrument would have their own subskill and possibly relevant titles.

A variety of instruments could be used. A couple ideas that crossed my mind:

Drum. A drum could be carved from a felled tree and attach an animal hide to it. Creating and improving the drum could use fine carpentry, or toymaking.

Bagpipes. Traditionally bagpipes were made out of goatskins. We dont have these available in wurm, but the closest thing would be a calf hide. A calf hide and multiple reed pipes could be used. This instrument would use leatherworking to create and improve.

Lute. A lute could be carved out of a log and finished up with iron wires to function as strings. This would be created and improved with fine carpentry or toymaking.

Harp. A small hand-held harp. Created out of a log and iron wires for strings. Fine carpentry or toymaking.

Shofar. A shofar is basically a flute made out of an animal horn. They could be made with unicorn or possibly, the longhorns we see on test (although they are not in the live game yet). Creating them would like use fine carpentry or toymaking.

Bell. We already have these ingame, so that is easy enough smiley.gif

It's a somewhat complex idea but I think it could add a lot of immersion to the game if done right. Perhaps even multiple melodies could be created just for wurm smiley.gif
Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 11

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, June 1, 2014 - Removed - Duplicate post
Hidden by Shrimpiie, June 1, 2014 - Removed - Duplicate post

I like this idea ":D 

awesome addition to the game this would be, great idea, can truly have bards then.

or instead of wires, perhaps a string made from wemp?

Admittedly I'm not familiar with these instruments i posted, violin strings nowadays are made from metal (mine are silver wrapped!). Back in the day they were actually made out of animal intestines.... that seemed a bit too much hence I suggested iron wires.

But wemp could work too, give more love to the ropemakers! :)

Edited by Alyeska

No need to replace wires, we already have them ingame. Granted the kind of wires we already use are not exactly musical grade metallurgy.

+1, I suggested a drawn out method for implementation as well (won't link my post, not a hi-jacker lol).. I'm for any ideas on this matter.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Heh lost count of the number of musical suggestions I've seen over the years.

Any form of player music in general would be nice.

From someone who played Lotro (where this is a thing) this is pretty much a double edged sword. While Lotro gives you the ability to coordinate music and actually make really awesome stuff (which you can actually download and put your chars playing), on the other hand, hearing someone just mashing keys trying to make something, is, well, painful. And going back to the garden gnome incident of 2012, well, might not be a great idea to allow people to spam music in Wurm.

From someone who played Lotro (where this is a thing) this is pretty much a double edged sword. While Lotro gives you the ability to coordinate music and actually make really awesome stuff (which you can actually download and put your chars playing), on the other hand, hearing someone just mashing keys trying to make something, is, well, painful. And going back to the garden gnome incident of 2012, well, might not be a great idea to allow people to spam music in Wurm.

Yes that was my thoughts. Hence a set music would exist that the character tries to follow, and failing simply results in silence, to prevent the annoying cacophony that would exist otherwise

Hence better immersion as such "sounds" are well known to anyone who has had to live near a musical beginner. It is truly amazing how a beautiful-sounding instrument can produce such screeching wails that would scare away even banshee.

I agree on the ideas of instruments added and the idea of notes as well as a new class to the ranks for instance add a new proffesion that one can follow like a musician that be cool +1

This would be awesome. Truly! We have an RP group going and would use this all the time.

I think we need a Sacbut just because it is so fun to SAY.  Brass and Toymaking, I guess. And it sounds like EXACTLY the type of instrument you do not want your neighbor trying to learn while drunk at 3 AM  (I agree that failure should = silence.) 

Another one we need simply because it is fun to say, is the Hurdygurdy.

And I still want windchimes as a passive musical instrument but one with a pretty low range for sound to travel. Silver, wood, & pottery versions. 

Shouldn't it be technically possible to limit some sounds to like a 5-tile range?

Some sounds carry ridiculously far at the moment. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

A main Music skill, with related subskills, should have a Whistling subskill. For the most part it can be musical whistling until unlocking animal sounds at some level.

Yes, it has been suggested before and yes, it is still a great idea!

+1

Fine carp skill - Piano
Singing?

But yeah, would be awesome to have a drumbeat playing the entire time you slay a unique, calling the soldiers to the field, so beat the drums of war.