Sign in to follow this  
Forgedrake

Why is everyone stuck on realism?

Why is everyone stuck on realism? Its pretty self explanatory - but I just was thinking in a game with trolls - lava fiends - hell hounds - dragons - priest who throw spells - several moons - and apparently god's who drop stuff on chaos and epic. Why do people always yell things are not real so can not be allowed in wurm?

First off this is a sandbox game - you can make what you want of them so why be locked in the idea of reality? I mean if we were that focused on reality would we be playing wurm? it just seems like so many great ideas are shot down because of realism (not to mention the thousands of dumb ideas that are brought up because of realism)

I mean its a fantasy game - its named after a over grown lizard who breaths fire - and I've yet to understand how a unicorn horn and a black mushroom stuffed in a head wounds gonna help me - so if we already have this much stuff we let go - why do people rant on realism?

• Like 2

I see no rants on realism currently lol

• Like 2

its just more of when I'm reading suggestions or in kingdom/freedom chats people just say thats not real and these are the 100 reasons it can not be allowed - was just trying to figure out why mostly it just seems so odd in a obvious fantasy game to talk about realism constantly

So if the devs make a change thats annoying but realistic then you can't complain because that's also how it works in real life, however if they make an unrealistic change then you can't complain because it's a fantasy game, not a real life simulator. It seems like that's how it works in this community.

I havent seen any threads about realism... 

A lot of suggestions are supported by the vague "...and it's realistic" comment.

I think people confuse realism with something they feel is immersive (makes them feel within the world). Pooping might be realistic, but it certainly wouldn't increase your engagement with Wurm as a virtual world.

Immersion is always good (things that are bad detach you from the game world experience), realism not always.

Edited by Sevenless
  • Like 5

So long as four sided triangles don't get implemented in some way I'll be fine with whatever people want to call 'realistic' in a fantasy game..

I believe we are concerning the wrong usage of realism word.. instead realism people should say.. believable..

Like believable magic is great, something out of nowhere is nope.

• Like 1

There aren't trolls, lava fiends, and dragons in RL? wtf?

• Like 2

There aren't trolls, lava fiends, and dragons in RL? wtf?

In Australia I think...

• Like 4

In Australia I think...

can confirm.

• Like 2

unless the game is about a girl who falls down a rabbit hole, bad logic is not good for a fantasy , has nothing to do with real world realism. Any fantasy game must have a sense of balance and logic for the player to gain a felling of being there

• Like 1

In any game with crafting with an aspect of discovery, it's more interesting when you can apply your intuition and some common sense instead of looking up cryptic recipes in handbook. You don't make a shield from clay, an armor from herbs, or feed your horses with charcoal. That would just disorient the player and not help to counterbalance the fantastic elements.

• Like 1

Priest are real, Maybe not the spells, but heeeeeey. :P

Well, except for the select few who know how to send others into the burning hells with a ice pillar...

Cuz realism is a good excuse to use when you see a suggestion that you don't like.

• Like 2

Because it's low fantasy. Not high fantasy like most fantasy MMOs, which is rare.

So long as four sided triangles don't get implemented in some way I'll be fine with whatever people want to call 'realistic' in a fantasy game..

That's a square.

In any game with crafting with an aspect of discovery, it's more interesting when you can apply your intuition and some common sense instead of looking up cryptic recipes in handbook. You don't make a shield from clay, an armor from herbs, or feed your horses with charcoal. That would just disorient the player and not help to counterbalance the fantastic elements.

My iron horse eats charcoal   :P

• Like 1

Game immersion and not everyone has the same opinion/level of tolerance for what elements fit in with their ideals. Some people will have considerably less tolerance for what's believable.  There seems to be many people out there who want a realistic medieval survival simulator. Wurm has a lot of elements (simulation, survival, magic, crafting, building, rustic/primitive) in it and we end up seeing groups of people lobing for their preferred environment.

I'm a big fan of fantasy. As long as its not a imposing hardships or making something harder I'll likely love it!

My favorite fantasy example are magic golems used to pull my vehicles. You craft them with basic mats plus a few magic parts. Once assembled they function much like horses except you don't have to breed, freed, worry about death, worry about disease. Maintain them by imp and repairing just like all our other tools.

Pooping might be realistic, but it certainly wouldn't increase your engagement with Wurm as a virtual world.

Says you, buddy.

I would welcome a pooping action with open arms, but closed nostrils.

• Like 1

Who is this Everyone and wtf is realism?

ps. Has he tried /stuck?

Edited by Aeris

You are mistaking immersion for realism. When people criticise something as being unrealistic, they actually more likely mean that it is something that will break the immersion of this fantasy world.

It IS a fantasy world, and as such has a basic framework of mechanisms at work, one that most agree are staples of such worlds. So yes, there are fantasy creatures that can harm you, and you can heal your wounds by using potent ingredients. While this is not 1:1 realism, it is not far-fetched at all, after all people around the world have feared the unknown creatures of the woods for millennia, and people around the globe even today believe that animal products have magical restoration powers. Because, duh, many products of nature actually do heal you, like the fungus called penicillin!

If on the other hands you suggest that you should be able to heal your severe head wound by running very fast down a hill, we will all agree in telling you that something like that will break our immersion into this fantasy world that we love and respect.

• Like 4

Cista summed it up pretty well.

Also, I hope the game stays with the low fantasy look.

Why is everyone stuck on realism? - why do people rant on realism?

While it can be true that reality is a sticky position to free oneself from, if one pays it no heed in making unfounded points, then they work nicely in conjunction with each other, for one leads into the next without the need for clarity. If you are then to conclude from this statement that these results can then be applied to systems within Wurm, or even if you do not, then nothing is really lost in the translation of trans positional propositions. Enough on that point then, since it can't really be definitive due to conjectures added into the aforementioned phrasing of divergent opinions.

As to ranting on realism. Well if ones grasp on it is fragile, then the firmer the ranting, the more adherence will be enabled by tirades which divert attention to the lack of attention to the concepts not founded upon the basis of it. Of course by this I do not mean to imply that a rant will distort the reality it has abandoned but rather that there was really no need for it to intrude into the concept initially, if it is to be considered flexible as to each individuals interpretation of it.

How does all this apply to Wurm then as I have so clearly presented it. Well, if you can figure that out then I have no need to continue on further and if not, then I can not be any clearer than I have been. So I would not try to convince anyone to the contrary of the reality as they perceive it to be, since when all is said and done, when ones grasp upon it is fragile to begin with, it is best to not remove the fingertips one by one until they are then of little use for other purposes as well.

=Ayes=

I think rosedragon hit the nail on the head - it's about suspensions of disbelief and therefore immersion.

Some people are more or less affected by this, but I think in general most people are prepared to suspend their sense of disbelief for internally consistent fantasy elements.

Most of the time, when we dismiss something as "unrealistic" what we mean is that it's not consistent with the rest of the game and would make it much harder to suspend our sense of disblief, and let ourselves be immersed in the game.

It's not a matter of one big thing that does it either, I think. A hundred little "unrealistic" things can push you out of an immersive state.

• Like 1