Sign in to follow this  
NeoAnderson

An Open Letter to Redbaron Johan

Connect old and new, without many changes:

photo_1853112_2296137264_o.jpg

Xanadu isn't at the best position. All servers should be able to access it without having to go trough other servers 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

chaos to xanadu would still be less distance than xanadu to celebration..just saying.

And how is the chaos community under represented,,, half the new content added every single damn patch is chaos and epic only.

Edited by Killroth
  • Like 1

The way it is set is the best way to satisfy the masses.

It's not the grandest for chaos, but with the right wind even I can get back to SE inde in 40-45 mins, Xanadu won't be that much further.

All I can say is, perhaps to better this is to join west chaos to east p/r. It could finally give he new cluster a go at chaos.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Jberg, May 30, 2014 - OT / Trolling / Flame bait / Quoted
Hidden by Jberg, May 30, 2014 - OT / Trolling / Flame bait / Quoted

Connect old and new, without many changes:

photo_1853112_2296137264_o.jpg

No way thats gonna work whats so ever.

I am starting to think a Chaos portal and no more sailing across might be the way to go so you only take your skills back and forth this way you get "better" access like you say you need but we are not disrupted by everything else in the PvP world like the BL casts. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

View hidden Post

Not as if their shores will be invaded by angry West pvp'ers haha

Um their economy is gonna get flooded to hell and back as it is....connecting the server that has bonuses and super skilled players would just speed up the  process to the point many will wish they had never voted to connect at all.  Chaos needs to stay where it is period its not PvE at all and needs to be isolated with no PvE server ever having to pass through it.

• Like 1

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Jberg, May 30, 2014 - OT / Trolling / Flame bait / Quoted

I am starting to think a Chaos portal and no more sailing across might be the way to go so you only take your skills back and forth this way you get "better" access like you say you need but we are not disrupted by everything else in the PvP world like the BL casts. 

Only if it costs money like the old days and is limited otherwise why not just make Xanadu portals all over every server and let everyone just Warp there.

Edited by Protunia

Travlemaptype_1.png

This was more of what I was thinking, and I think many would imagine a "Round" world to be like.    The problems with connecting up the old servers like in Klingon's map is two fold, first it doesn't address expansion on all sides of the server, (i did notice you tacked it on right next to BL HQ :D lol) It just makes a mess of travle times, and limits the connections of other servers, wich is hardly fair, or promotes growth there too.  

There are many different arrangements for this model, I set it up this way, to give a therom of what Pristine and release were going on about wanting at least a little isolation.    

There were other models suggested for when you travel between servers you get a check box popup to where specifically you want to go in that direction, those are also an interesting idea, and gives more certainty where you will end up, as it stands you can end up in Indy, Exo, or Deli with our East border, and it is a bit hard to tell intuitively for new players.   

Edited by Battlepaw
  • Like 2

View hidden Post

Travlemaptype_1.png

This was more of what I was thinking, and I think many would imagine a "Round" world to be like.    The problems with connecting up the old servers like in Klingon's map is two fold, first it doesn't address expansion on all sides of the server, (i did notice you tacked it on right next to BL HQ :D lol) I just makes a mess of travle times, and limits the connections of other servers, wich is hardly fair, or promotes growth there too.   

-1 try again.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 30, 2014 - Removed - Unncessary
Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 30, 2014 - Removed - Unncessary

Oh look I found the perfect map.

FreedomXanadu_TravelPathsS.jpg

• Like 2

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 30, 2014 - Removed - Response to now hidden post
Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 30, 2014 - Removed - Response to now hidden post

Heh perfect how?  One of the nice things about the "Round" world model, is you can travel at corner areas, heck even server that are at least one server off from Xandu in that kind of map, can go the the nearest corner area, and pop out where they want to go, sail a few tiles, then pop into another server.    Meaning as we expand servers, travel time can be managed a bit more readily than having to always sail all the way across one server to get to another.   

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 30, 2014 - Removed - Response to now hidden post
Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 30, 2014 - Removed - Response to now hidden post

That map with and exit on the east side of pris / rele to chaos is perfect.

imo  ;)

Most forums warn/ban people for double posting because it is rude, takes up huge chunks of thread, and is unsightly. This is just getting crazy. Is there a rule for this here? If not there certainly should be, it is annoying, and again, very rude.

Anyway, I really like your layout Battlepaw, but in generally my philosophy is to require as little work of the devs as possible. I thought simply adding an arrow on the other side of Chaos would be sufficient, and add N/S servers as they are released. 

Most forums warn/ban people for double posting because it is rude, takes up huge chunks of thread, and is unsightly. This is just getting crazy. Is there a rule for this here? If not there certainly should be, it is annoying, and again, very rude.

Anyway, I really like your layout Battlepaw, but in generally my philosophy is to require as little work of the devs as possible. I thought simply adding an arrow on the other side of Chaos would be sufficient, and add N/S servers as they are released. 

I agree, drop an arrow to pris / rele from the west of chaos to the east of  pris / rele, that gives them access to pvp quickly, then drop xandu in the middle of the old cluster and the new one.

This would preserve the round world concept with out introducing cataclysmic continental moment.

Heh yea, noticed when they deleted Protunia's double post, my response got deleted too.

One of the things I wanted to point out is travel in the corners of a world map setup would cut down on sailing time, even if the server was one away from Xandu, it wouldn't require traversing the whole map, should have pointed that out with my example, but didn't think about it.   And yes, would be nice. 

What I'm looking for is just opening up all the server borders in Chaos, not just a few.   That way a PMK or trade from the existing kingdoms can work.   Heck even the danger from smash-and-grab raids will generate more pvp situations, come right down to it.  Also, this kind of setup lets players who don't wish to enter Chaos, easily bypass it, making controls on crossing with enemy in local, more justifiable, to prevent the cheap party trick of just running back to safe snug servers even if your enemy is right on your tail.    It would give more incentive to try and establish a raid base, or actual deed to retreat to for safety, rather than just frustrating the hell out of players, and wasting their time.   

Right now without that, its fine tbh, I think it would be just fine, even with that annoying mechanic in place, its much more preferable to me, to have that as a trade off, since the server has an interior too, and it makes it safer to live well within your territory, rather than concentrating on coastal deed bases.   This makes the prospect of long-term communities rewarding, rather than just rewarding people who store loot on Freedom servers, and have easy access to their coastal base.    (Not to say a coastal deed won't work, or can't be a long term community. Just look at Kratos, or Aracnodelphia, Eden, etc. It all depends on how well its built and how its manned)

Edited by Battlepaw

Due to our PvP nature?  Fringe?  Heh, That's not exactly the way I'd describe the PvP community.    A good portion of the people who live on the PvE server come to Chaos to PvP.  We fought tooth and nail to get admitted to the cluster and we have been well justified by that decison with the effect it has had on our server's activity,   The portals, were in effect killing us.    After the changes to GV, and adding Epic, we could't keep our population up, heck on our busy hours sometimes, were seeing only a dozen players on the server.   What we have now is a much larger population overall, every graph and statistic indicates a steady rise in players over the yeas since we opened.  Back when we were shut off, the server population was so stagnent, and low, you would often see no change for months, then some small spikes as one sinde or another recurited, etc.    I know, I payed close attention to the graphs, and worried over them when Wild was dying off. 

So because people now get to run with their tails between their legs or use the PVE servers as their repository for stuff, you credit that to a increase of players? LoL

IIRC that was the reason why Rolf made the homeservers raidable back in the day, before inde. To stop people from using the PVE only areas as a base for raiding the PvP.

Population was stagnant and slow cause PvP is crap, its absolute, irredeemable crap, anyone that played any game with bad PvP will tell you Wurm PvP is worse. Sure the metagame is one of the best, but the rest doesn't follow through.

The number increase is simply a byproduct of an overall increase in numbers of players in Wurm post Epic, and post Inde going F2P. I remember the staff celebrating 500 players online when they opened inde to F2P.

In terms of us just salivating to ambush players along the border, heck, your completely right Kane, you got me mate, we have nothing better to do than sit on a server border, where any passerby can just cross back over the second one of us comes in local. I'd rather waste my time trying to take control of the endless shark infestation in the lake next to Hunter's lodge, at least that would be slightly less futile.  

Heck with all the servers open, all a traveler needs to do is follow along a border and jump back whenever they are in trouble.   Honestly, the whole risk fact is neglatible, unless you actually come deep into the server's waters, and even then in my own experience in chaseing enemy ships, the advantage is totally with the escapee.  I've been pursued a few times on open water, and also been killed while on a boat.  The single time I was killed was because I AFK sailed head on into a JK when I got confused and headed north instead of south during a raid.  (Ahhh the noob ole days... lol)  

If anything its going to put our deeds along the west shoreline at great disadvantage to the same kind of smash and grab raiders, the east side has had steady issues with players just quickly running back over the server borde to safety before we can get defenders to the area.   We have the trade off of access finally, but the price is quite steep as well.

I do have to say, its freaking annoying when I see a set get sold off the server, though I don't see the issue anymore, since it looks like there will be a steady supply over the years to help drive down costs, and demand, since groups of player that want the armor can actually find dragons in the future, and kill them, rather then have players just sit on the supply and drive up the price however much they think people are willing to pay.   This always put us at a disadvantage, especially when the sale is conducted in silver rather than euros, since players on Chaos have a lot less silver income.   

There won't be a steady supply since apparently the devs want to nerf the loot tables to keep the current status quo. And over the years? This isn't a country's economy, years in a game is ages, you can't plan to have things smooth out in years. FFs most games have a life span of 2-3 years, Wurm is already a freaking zombie at this point. You can't afford years to fix a current problem. In years the market will be flooded with games that make wurm seem like pacman.

Armor being server bound is just silly, there is no push for us to go back to the old system, and it would be stupid to make an investment in silver, or euros in armor, or attend a rare event like a dragon slaying and not being able to use the armor how you choose, either on Chaos or on Xandu, whatever.   The whole new play style of the server revolves around our interaction with the rest of the cluster, part of that style comes with the choice of where a player wants to spend his time, and if he enjoys PvP or PvE, or a mix of both.   

Well, can't fault your reasoning there, it is stupid to fork off 100€ in armor, but people do it. Some people have more money than sense, others have neither, just look at the subprime crysis, and what triggered it. As for your last phrase, this being Wurm, and PvP not being a MOBA, and knowing Wurm as i know, people in PvP enjoy more PVE additions than PVE people do. So i don't see why jumping servers provides any difference. Thing is people SAY they want PvP but then hunt on PVE servers, cause they only want PvP when they can take advantage of the game's imbalance, and not risk anything. After all would suck to be almost killing a champion troll and then getting ganked by some guy with your stamina and health down. But wait, isn't that the whole point of open PVP?

Also, why is this letter addressed to the PR guy? I mean its not like he's the one that decides or even works on the continent links.

Edited by KanePT

Portal chaos  and disconnect it from all pve servers and make it portal only to get there like the rest of the pvp servers , thanks bunchs ..

• Like 1

I've got nothing inherently against Chaos being better connected to the freedom cluster than the proposed... so long as it doesn't constitute the usual "lure PVEers into PVP" trap by putting it in the center or making it advantageous to travel to other PVE islands via it etc.

However I think there are several other problems this proposal talks around and doesn't address.

1. PVP appears to attract a tiny proportion of players, and most of them go to Epic. This is the main reason Chaos has so few players, yes?
  2. Wurm Online has a tiny population that does not appear to be growing. This is the second biggest reason why Chaos has so few players, it would seem.
  3. Travelling by ship is very slow and very dull (nothing happens except occasional wind changes)

Regards,

Shiraek

1. PVP appears to attract a tiny proportion of players, and most of them go to Epic. This is the main reason Chaos has so few players, yes?

Epic and Chaos have decent numbers in total, IMO it is very unfortunate that the PVP community was split up.

2 PMKs have been founded in the last 2 months on Chaos. You could say people are trying to bring life into Chaos again, our numbers seen to be growing again.

Maybe the marketing campaign that would promote the launch of Xanadu will bring in some new blood? Wait, what campaign? -_-

Edited by Bittereinder

+1

Chaos needs to be connected too. If not, I'm deleting Baron from my facebook friends.

• Like 2

I currently live on Cele but have deeds on Exo and Indy so I make the trip all the way north to Indy on a regular basis & I almost always use the shortcut through Chaos when traveling north. I've never even seen another boat while on Chaos so I think the piracy worries are overblown but a couple of things really bother me about the connection.

When crossing from one pve server to another my event tab turns yellow with walls of text warning me of the crossing and that writs won't transfer so there is ample time to turn around if crossing is not what you intended but when crossing into Chaos I get two "island" warnings at almost exactly the same instant and BAM I'm in Chaos. This needs to be fixed. Has needed to be fixed from the day Chaos was connected. 

Secondly when you cross into Chaos the game ports you towards land a ways rather than putting you right on the border as it should. This means that, depending on the wind, it can take you 2 or 3 minutes to cross back out of Chaos. Maybe Rolf intended this to give pirates a greater chance? I don't know if it's intentional or not but it's certainly not a welcome deviation from the way all the pve server crossings work. 

As things stand now Chaos makes a nice shortcut from Cele to Deli and Indy but the lack of tacking room on the west side of the servers makes sailing south along the west coast a risky thing since you can easily cross into Chaos accidently from Exo and be ported back to Deli. I think they need to fix the warning and perhaps widen the border a bit. (To avoid this risk I usually sail south along the east coast rather than the west.)

With the addition of Xanadu, again with only a two way connection to Deli, I foresee even more problems sailing in less than ideal winds. At some points on the east coast of Deli there is almost no room between the shore and the border. Again, if I'm sailing south and accidently cross into Xanadu from Exodus I'll be ported back north to Deli. 

Xanadu will give me a way to take a shortcut, while avoiding Chaos, when sailing north but now sailing south along either coast will be a bit harder. I don't understand why all the PVE servers can't be connected to Xanadu with 2 way connections but if it's possible to do so then I think it should be done that way. 

Honestly it sounds to me like the only way to satisfy the Chaos players would be to have Chaos connected to other servers on all four coasts and NO server currently has that. I don't really see a way to achieve that, even if the pve players were willing to go along with it, without totally disrupting travel as we know it. The map BP posted is about the best solution I've seen so far if ALL the connections are two way but Cele should be on the bottom right side, Exo just above it and Deli on the upper right. (Keeping the current chain more or less intact.) Put Chaos where you show Cele. Rearrange that & I think I'd not be opposed to that layout. I just don't want to be forced to sail across Xanadu or through Chaos to travel from one pve server to another. Not sure how the addition of any future servers would fit into that arrangement though.

Just some random thought...I need more coffee....

• Like 3

Why cant we have an ingame poll about this? 

• Like 5

+1

Chaos needs to be connected too. If not, I'm deleting Baron from my facebook friends.

If that doesn't get him to  post, I dont know what will!!

Why cant we have an ingame poll about this? 

In game polls are resigned only for things that don't matter, like pristine and release.