Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 22

The problem with a "Round" world is that it is a closed system and so therefore creates problems for further expansion.

The ability to choose server when travelling acoss a border though is a viable option...even limiting certain server choices to certain borders. That keeps the immersion feel with sailing.

Hello, I am new to this game, joined a few days ago, went through this topic and a few things really doesnt make much sense for me, maybe someone can answer them. But really prepare for noob questions without any overview about the problems.

Why are people from Chaos server so upset with the connection, is it because they will have to travel longer to reach xanadu ?

So there are some dragons, they drop armor that is the best and without that you do not have chance in pvp  and you dont need it for pve. People say it is limited to a few who get a lot of money from that, so why do not people go and do not kill the dragons themselves ? Is it because they do not spawn ? If so how can other players have the armors to sell ? I understand they were able to get them when dragons were spawned last time but how is it they didnt get out of stock ?

Also someone mentioned some worlds have destoyed economics, actually how is it possible when servers are connected ? And what for do you need money in this game anyway ? Cant you build everything yourself ?

And why are people so excited about xanady anyway, it is just bigger land on one server, what so special about it. Why would anyone even consider to move and leave what was already built ?

Actually i do not understand almost anything you wrote in your comments :-)

Edited by rashaverak

Lately I started to wonder how much you people know about the game you are developing or how much you care for the people playing it.

I can´t say you don´t listen to people because in some aspects every one can see you actively fix/implement some of the ideas discussed in the forums, but at the same time you seem to take decisions that anyone can see are disruptives for the game play, or enjoyment of the game itself.

It took me about 30 secs to stare at the map and see the negative consequences such an arrangement will carry for people living in the end of the chain, and apparently it is fine with you even after months of time developing this.

just so you guys know i think the point in the trader change is so you can't use them for upkeep and prem time................^^

[nagging]

True, without a doubt, but Rolf should make the upkeep part cheaper.

We pay 80euros a year for 1 (=one!) character, thats a "reasonable" price for a online game like this one.

But its the extra you have to pay for having your own place (now even more then ever, since the deletion of the enclosure rules) that in my opinion puts allot of people out of the game.

Through the shop, 1 gold costs 160euro, with that one gold you can plant a semi-big deed and just have enough to fill the upkeep for a year => this makes the "wurm experience" cost 240euros a year if you want a comfortable plot of land (yeah, I know, you can make a small 1s upkeep deed, which is good for a beginning player, but most players soon hunger for a bigger deed)

If it wasnt for the traders, I wouldnt have a 9s upkeep deed for 5 years and counting, I, most likely wouldnt have played that long if I'd had to use even more euros to keep up with the costs of a deed. And that especially since the price increase of 60% on the coinshop (premium I could live with, but coinshop price increase was rather stupid, but thats in the past, so yeah)

You can keep adding content, but if the price gets to high to keep the content safe as a player (and that is what a deed is for, to keep your "wurm content" safe), then there will be lot of players quiting (and once you felt the joy of a big deed, you wont downgrade to a 11x11 anytime soon, at least not me, I would get claustrofobic :P).

Deeding-price in half is a good start, but the upkeep in the long run can be a killer. Either you earn silver by crafting stuff, or you drain silver from traders to pay for the upkeep (I cant think of many players who buy gold/silver monthly/yearly to keep their deeds running, maybe 10% out there).

So dear developers, think very hard and very good about what you do to traders on the old clusters. (and no, surveys and other shady website thingymahjingies to earn silver is not an alternative :P)

[/nagging]

Other then that, the update looks mighty fine and hopefully things will go a bit less crashy then previous releases of servers :P

-50 to "teleport at server borders".  If that's the case, I want the option to teleport back to my deed, cart horses and all, every time I've been gone over half an hour.

Hauling is a legit business both here and IRL, if y'all who are asking for cross-server teleport need something delivered at a distance or yourselves taken somewhere, do like certain traders in-game, and everyone IRL... pay for it.

If you want to cross the entire game in under an hour, this is definitely not the game for you.  Runescape offers a wide variety of teleports, both in one's own spellbook and other unlockable methods........ as does pretty much every WoW-clone in the book.

• Like 1

2 things...

First I actually like how the map is connected. It promotes travel needed so that none of the servers get slammed with fast travel. Fast travel has ruined many games and I'm going to stand against it as it would ruin Wurm as well IMO. This also promotes delivery businesses.

2nd, BALANCE all armor types and weapons and finish adding the new armors. Balanced armor and weapons with the new loot drops would keep value because of rarity .

Its no wonder they took measures to protect the value of dragon armors instead of making them more available.

The people wearing such armors hold some economic power on their server.

How many whiners would rage quit if theyre 250e armor was suddenly worth 50... lol

Never seen a more uninformed statement.

I have a Drake Set for instance, if you think that I wield some big economic power, then you are flat out wrong. No offense to many, but tons of people have Drake Armor and don't have much economic power at all. And claiming people will quit if their armor suddenly devalues, that is by far the weakest argument .

(Disclaimer: I have always defended Dragons/Armor, even before I acquired a set for myself)

Edited by Shrimpiie
  • Like 2

Its no wonder they took measures to protect the value of dragon armors instead of making them more available.

The people wearing such armors hold some economic power on their server.

How many whiners would rage quit if theyre 250e armor was suddenly worth 50... lol

Seeing as how I earned my sets by trading them for huge bulk orders of food items, I wouldnt rage one second about it, to me, my drake set has, and always will be, worth "50k corn and 50k fish fillets"

I wouldnt care one bit if everybody had dragon armour, what I WOULD care about, is if I can't imp it anymore with leather.

For me, drake and scale is just very usefull to keep my speed on PVE server (Inde here) and dont have much trouble with annoying trolls/crocs/... when I'm out doing some terraforming.

If the epic code for imping was applied to the freedom servers, then you'll create some real monopolies out there, "He who controls the hide, controls the universe"

Edited by Lycanthropic

So another week and nothing interesting.

I don't get it. The whole reason for connecting Pristine/Release on the other side of Xanadu is to help them retain some of the isolation they have enjoyed up until now. Nobody in their right mind, except the 70 some players living on Chaos, are going to try and make a trade run through Chaos to get to P/R. The map, as it stands now, is only changed by finally placing something east of the current servers. Everyone has to go around or through Xanadu to get to P/R and that is only fair. Chaos shouldn't have special access, especially since the other servers would be risking life and property by trying to use that access.

As for traders, I think the words unique premium accounts were used on purpose. I don't think it matters if you have 1 toon or 5, I think they are saying are referring to different people (but anyone can have more than one account if they have different emails and such).

Staying out of the dragon part of this update because I don't deal in or have such armor.

Oh, are we getting sheeps finally? Or was that a joke? Would love to have some. Yarnballs... yay! :D

Wow, I was dead right on all of it O_o  Best decision on everything imo, hugeeeee Thanks to the devs on this one!

Never seen a more uninformed statement.

I have a Drake Set for instance, if you think that I wield some big economic power, then you are flat out wrong. No offense to many, but tons of people have Drake Armor and don't have much economic power at all. And claiming people will quit if their armor suddenly devalues, that is by far the weakest argument .

(Disclaimer: I have always defended Dragons/Armor, even before I acquired a set for myself)

I don't even have any. I have kicked the idea around as there has been a set for sale lately. I could have it. I don't. On deed, I wear cloth or even my underwemp noobie clothes. Off deed, mostly studded. Now that it appears you will need more dragon to imp dragon (we'll have to see eh?), it seems like even less of a thing I want to mess with.

side note, as a result of the guard nerf a while back, I actually learned to fight smarter. There is no shame in retreating, healing, then going back to finish. 

Other things... Thank you immensely for the deed security patches! I have been wanting these a long time.

So another week and nothing interesting.

The deed permission things are valuable to us all I think.

Now Watch as Deil crashes on primetime since it has all the server traffic running though it, since its the connection to exo, chaos, and now xana 

• Like 1

Also, I looked again at the map. I do see Chaos has a long sail to get to Xanadu and I really do sympathize with you for it but you would still have 1 server deep to sail through either way.

Chaos > PvE Old Cluster > Xanadu < P&R < Chaos

If your destination is P&R, it rather stinks though. But then, I dunno why you would want to sail past cheaper goods on the old cluster to come here to trade at a higher price. 

EDIT: I think (my opinion here 100%) that maybe the PvP clusters should be connected north and south and not pass through any PvE clusters to get to Xanadu thus making that huge place the actual center of the planet.

Edited by Audrel

Every game on the planet has top tier armor types

Either you're a 8yrs old kid, or you really have problems to express your opinions in a civilised manner. You don't know every game on the planet, what you said is a childish exaggeration if not an outright lie and honestly do you really love the system when everyone is in the same armour, especially on a sandbox with (so they say) oh so many possibilities?

Every single possible game on the planet, whoaaaaa. 

• Like 1

And you are just taking things too literally. It is obvious he doesn't literally mean every game, it is just an exaggeration.

• Like 1

Either you're a 8yrs old kid, or you really have problems to express your opinions in a civilised manner. You don't know every game on the planet, what you said is a childish exaggeration if not an outright lie and honestly do you really love the system when everyone is in the same armour, especially on a sandbox with (so they say) oh so many possibilities?

Not sure what your point is here other than trying to troll me. No one ever said anything about everyone in the same armor i am all for more kinds of armor. 

While an exaggeration, in games with this type of "top tier armor" you need to go collect specific resources from specific mobs in limited or unique spawns (i.e. "Raiding").

But those armors tend to remain in-line with the progression of other armors in the same "tier".  The "best" armor doesn't tend to be based on activity, simply your character class.  Wurm has tried to remain more "realistic" in it's presentation for armor, so there should a "best armor" depending on what you're doing, not simply a best "top tier" armor.

In Wurm, the armors are not really tiered, they're separated by type.  Cloth, Leather ("improved" to Studded), Chain, Plate.  But there is a clear progression for those armors.  You don't tend to get a "lesser type" armor that out performs a higher type.  Drake is effectively a leather "class"/type that actively competes with Chain/Plate for its gameplay impact, and still has the benefits of the lower tier armor.  So you get a medium type of armor with stats competitive of heavy types of armor. 

Sure you can make do without either of the dragon armors, but if you have the option for them why wouldn't you get/use them?  When you don't have access to them for any reason, you do tend to see more use of specific armors for specific tasks.

They simply do not scale with the other armors in their weight class.  It's like putting a high school freshmen who is just getting into boxing, into the ring with a World Heavy weight.  Sure the freshmen might get lucky (RNG), but in most situations, which would you bet on more consistently winning?  Once their skills get to the same level, then it becomes a different argument, and Wurm is all about the skills (and I'm not just talking the skill value number, but the experiences/player knowledge that go with it)

In most cases, all other things being equal, who is going to win in a fight in Wurm?  Those with or without the dragon armor?  How much of a skill difference do you need to have between players so that those without the armor are as likely to win against a lower skilled player with that armor?  How does that translate into group combat?

There have been posts from players with the armors fighting off trolls/champ creatures while taking little to no damage while they are skilling their FS up to the 20 range.

Hence my comment about them being outside the current balancing.

Now Watch as Deil crashes on primetime since it has all the server traffic running though it, since its the connection to exo, chaos, and now xana 

At least it won't happen for another week or more. Xanadu won't be connected on its opening day to the old clusters.

Now that it appears you will need more dragon to imp dragon (we'll have to see eh?), it seems like even less of a thing I want to mess with.

If that mechanic does change, it will be yet another horrible mistake by the Wurm Online development team.

I am a player that has multiple sets. If drake needs drake to improve, I will cease wearing/using any set I own and they will collect dust in a chest until someone is willing to pay 2-3x more than the current going price for them.

Wurm online was worried about destroying the drake market, thus limiting the amount of future drake per drop? Making them require drake to imp is more than destruction.... its obliteration.

• Like 2

Cele will remain a nice retirement home for some of us..

You can get to Xanadu from all the PvE servers you just get put back on deliverance on the return so unless everyone is coming back at the same time then things will be fine. 

Edited by Kegan