Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 22

@Hussars: You are always so elegant and make such good points. Kudos, grats, and continued salutes. 

I totally agree, most of the other armors in the game have a purpose, and are best used in particular situations. One does not wear plate if they intend to sprint through the forest hunting bear, but if you have a troll on deed that is certainly the first thing non-dragon armor owners grab. Each armor has marked benefits, and some failures. 

Drake/Dragon armors totally shatter this convention. They are the best of all worlds, and there is literally no reason not to wear them for everything if you have it. To me, that breaks immersion, and as much as I hate p2w whiners, it really does encourage credit card summoning. While it can be argued that this is so because they are "top tier", it still makes no sense not to have a powerful weakness for the most powerful armors. 

I am neither here nor there on reduced dragon drops. I think it is fair enough for most people, but it does continue to highlight many gripes about not giving new or mid-level players a real chance to climb the ladder. Now dragon hunts will be much more insular and private, and we newer players will still never see a dragon outside of a cage. What is worse, is now we will not see the call to arms either! People will want this reduced amount of hide for themselves, and hunting them will not be an encouraged group activity.

For seriously, I think it is very detrimental to reduce the amount of hides on dragons, as it keeps people from acting like a team. 

On map layout:

I am also very much for a round world where Chaos can be accessed by the entire player base easily, rather than a long boat ride to the other end of the world. My full thoughts on the topic can be found elsewhere, but for now I just want to say that I think Chaos should be a bigger part of Freedom than it is presently. 

On everything else:

Devs and Rolf probably do not even read this far down on the topic because it generally becomes a mess of mud slinging. If they do, I would like to yell really loudly:

You Guys Are So Awesome For Continuing To Develop This Game, And Your Work, NO Matter How Much I Disagree, It Is Always Appreciated. 

Looks like we finally ran out of steam on this thread.

Looking forward to the changes. :) 

Cant we do an ingame poll about connecting the west side of chaos? 

Sorry if this is rough im not a photo wizard.

So in an ideal world and most post people were satisfied this is how you could connect everything to create a more immersive sailing experience and avoid 10 hour long sailing trips.

changes...No changes to old world connections are made.

1) Chaos would connect on west coast to pristines east coast.

2) xanadus north coast would connect to indepences east coast

3) xanadus south coast would conect to celebrations east coast

4) celebrations south coast would connect to independeces north coast.

problems solved

1) no server is totally isolated from the other servers (chaos, celebration, etc)

2) P&R gets its pvp connection theyve asked for in various forum posts.

3) the world is round increasing immersion.

possible issues

1) P&R might not want to be connected to chaos (time to use /poll)

2) in the unlikely story more islands are added they can be added to west coast of cele or release or pristine.

3) others?

S72K0f8.jpg

Edited by Killroth
  • Like 3

So in an ideal world and most post people were satisfied this is how you could connect everything to create a more immersive sailing experience and avoid 10 hour long sailing trips.

possible issues

2) in the unlikely story more islands are added they can be added to west coast of cele or release or pristine.

3) others?

S72K0f8.jpg

More routes to travel it would be very cool instead of three hours semi-afk I could actually play. Yeah but it could encourage people to trade or even fix wurm economy so they will not do it anyway.

No need for a poll, it's called cause and effect.

P&R vocal crew screamed for a buffer during the first poll. An 8 hour buffer is what they get. Now that they've made their bed, they can lie in it. PVP is content found on the old server cluster, and they will travel 8+ hours to get to it... just like I will travel 8+ hours to get to land that I have been paying for now for over a year.

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 1

Rowing boats are faster than large ships for looong trips =P   More expendable too, and *ignore wind*

(Full rowing boat, or rare +1, or supreme solo)

Edited by Mordraug

Too many servers, start adding portals.

P&R vocal crew screamed for a buffer during the first poll.

Where are the facts/results? I think you get too worked up about a vocal part of our crowd. The first "poll" was just a forum rant/soapbox thingie.

• Like 1

Where are the facts/results? I think you get too worked up about a vocal part of our crowd. The first "poll" was just a forum rant/soapbox thingie.

Actually, the first poll was quite legit and wasn't a "rant/soapbox thingie". The problem with that was the dev team clearly ignored the 2/3 that felt it was time to merge, and instead, listened to the 1/3 that control the markets over on P&R.

The buffer exists at all because it was something the "vocal crowd" suggested in that first poll. They wanted to protect their cluster from the big, bad, old cluster and the positives and negatives must be reaped from that decision... which means that while they keep me and everyone else at an 8 hour arms length from their cluster, they must deal with the fact that it will take them 8 hours to reach content (PVP) found on the original cluster.

I'm sure you know how that old saying goes, "what's good for the goose is good for the gander".

Yes, of course the PVP camp is crying for a change (i.e http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/102605-an-open-letter-to-redbaron-johan/), but that's because they use (and abuse) the PVE market to fill their war deed coffers. Of course they want easy access to more PVE lands, and they will metagame, cry, etc. to get what they want. They always do.

I've been around here long enough and am well versed in all the politics of this game. My facts/results come from years of watching history repeat itself around here, and years worth of reading the forum/IRC politics, understanding the motives behind them. You may think i'm "worked up" about this topic because you've seen me push my point a few times now, but all I am doing is throwing out the sound logic that everyone is either forgetting about or trying to hide for their own personal gain (PVP crowd). If someone doesn't throw that "sound logic" around, the devs are very, very prone to listen to a few ranting individuals with poor ideas for the game (take the buffer as a fresh example).

• Like 1

Make it simple wurm logic please:

When you cross any map border you get a droplist too choose what server you want enter.

If you crossed over the north border on current server you will end up at center of south border of the map u choose. And East to west side and viceversa.

So most likely u will not enter the new server exactly where your destination is, meaning you still have to sail a bit more to reach the goal.

This would still means you get a full sailing experience to navigate around for a hour and require you to take same route back home later.

Not having to spend several hours sailing through other servers.

And to not kill your game immersion, imagine that the space between servers are international waters where your toon auto sailed the shortest route for you during the ingame loading time.

• Like 2

Please can we get a full-sized map dump before release, mostly for use in Tacnet! That is, assuming the one in the OP is real and intended to be made public.

The buffer exists at all because it was something the "vocal crowd" suggested in that first poll.

Yeah, I remember those arguments. I'm not saying the poll wasn't legit, but the mud-slinging and slandering of character towards the old cluster was over the top and overshadowed the facts and discussion, IMO.

Still, I think Xanadu is positioned in a way as to completely alter the geography of the Freedom cluster because Rolf wants it to be like that, to signal to everyone that this is the new hub, start landrushing now. I don't believe that the crying of the vocal crowd was the key here, rather that it is being instrumentalized to mellow everyone to the new changes.

Personally, I wouldn't want the Freedom cluster to have a round world arrangement with just the current maps we are having right now. It would be interesting if some maps that were wider ocean with smaller archipelagoes would be mixed in (with perhaps some islands that follow the hunting server suggestions or some that are naval PvP based). It just doesn't feel like Freedom is feature complete yet in a way that allows tying up the whole package like that.

Still, I think Xanadu is positioned in a way as to completely alter the geography of the Freedom cluster because Rolf wants it to be like that

Not to be a total tinfoil person - but I seriously doubt that. If there's one thing you learn after a certain amount of time in the game it is the fact that Rolf will do anything to make PvP easily accessible if he has a chance to do so. I don't for a second believe that it was Rolf's original intention to place Pri/Rel so far away from the opportunity to visit the lands of PvP. It's something the vocal crowd of Pri/Rel that are afraid of the oldtimers made happen.

• Like 2

Not to be a total tinfoil person - but I seriously doubt that. If there's one thing you learn after a certain amount of time in the game it is the fact that Rolf will do anything to make PvP easily accessible if he has a chance to do so. I don't for a second believe that it was Rolf's original intention to place Pri/Rel so far away from the opportunity to visit the lands of PvP. It's something the vocal crowd of Pri/Rel that are afraid of the oldtimers made happen.

What i've always wondered is rather then this whole sail through each server business, pick server edge. Select which server to sail too. Why not that. If thats mentioned somewhere in the millions of pages of forum before, sorry i'm illiterate.

• Like 2

What i've always wondered is rather then this whole sail through each server business, pick server edge. Select which server to sail too. Why not that. If thats mentioned somewhere in the millions of pages of forum before, sorry i'm illiterate.

It's come to a point where I believe that is the most fair way to handle it.

maybe the re spawning uniques could get unique names?  :)  something to keep them unique give them lore and players some  history and story

Seriously?   Ship teleporting? 

I insist.. wrong game... plenty of WoW-clones out there with 10 million teleports for those that like to reduce their game to 5 or 6 key points.

• Like 2

Seriously?   Ship teleporting? 

I insist.. wrong game... plenty of WoW-clones out there with 10 million teleports for those that like to reduce their game to 5 or 6 key points.

I like to reduce my sailing trips so that they don't require over 4 hours real life to get from point A-B. Its not fun, it never has been and most people sail afk. Being able to select which server you go to at a border edge simply reduces that monotony which isn't adding anything to game play.

• Like 4

I like to reduce my sailing trips so that they don't require over 4 hours real life to get from point A-B. Its not fun, it never has been and most people sail afk. Being able to select which server you go to at a border edge simply reduces that monotony which isn't adding anything to game play.

You're not meant to get from A to B quickly. If you mean to take a long trip you should be prepared to spend a long time in transit and not ask for someone to sprinkle fairy dust on you and your belongings so you can circumvent the effort involved.

If you hadn't noticed Wurm is a slow burning game that isn't in a hurry to do anything. This includes the travel element which is one of its strongest sandbox features. If you don't like it, don't travel so far. It's your choice to do so and if you aren't prepared to make the effort that's your issue, not the games.

• Like 9

You're not meant to get from A to B quickly. If you mean to take a long trip you should be prepared to spend a long time in transit and not ask for someone to sprinkle fairy dust on you and your belongings so you can circumvent the effort involved.

If you hadn't noticed Wurm is a slow burning game that isn't in a hurry to do anything. This includes the travel element which is one of its strongest sandbox features. If you don't like it, don't travel so far. It's your choice to do so and if you aren't prepared to make the effort that's your issue, not the games.

Actually it is the fault of the game when you head out and suddenly the wind randomly changes to a light breeze and you are in a cog or a big ship. 

• Like 1

Hence the reason I stage my fleet this weekend when we had the gale from the south.  :)

problems solved

1) no server is totally isolated from the other servers (chaos, celebration, etc)

2) P&R gets its pvp connection theyve asked for in various forum posts.

3) the world is round increasing immersion.

possible issues

3) others?

S72K0f8.jpg

+1 This.

I think the Devs would be crazy to not use that map system.

And true there is still lots of room for more if need be some time in the future.

Actually it is the fault of the game when you head out and suddenly the wind randomly changes to a light breeze and you are in a cog or a big ship. 

Happens to everyone else who sails.  Travelling by land can be boring when trolls no longer pose a threat, not a reason to split the map in 16 sections and put a portal in each which teleports to the others.

Hauling is also a market in Wurm, one that's about to expand.  Exploration is part of the game's fun.  If crossing from Release to the old cluster degenerates into a 12hr trip because the wind went rebellious on me, there are several ways to find a shoreline to logoff for the evening.

Once again, if it's portals and teleports and such over-simplifications that have really damaged many games in order to attract way younger audiences, might wanna consider another game.  One of those where you build a house in 10 minutes, spend a week hitting level cap, then go solo a dragon to your armor of godliness.

• Like 1