Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Tent

1. Note -> please don't talk about how you wish things were or what actions the devs should take. This thread is about trying to figure how tents actually work. I often am disappointed with some Dev actions/opinions but its a waste of time to dwell on it.

2. I'm just a humble ignorant player who doesn't have a clue about the intent of what developers wanted to do with tents. I'm testing these to try and figure out how they work. Use this information at your own risk.

--Explorer tent--

Ownership is whoever last dropped the tent. Owner status is displayed in event examine: "[00:12:30] A more robust version of the standard tent but without the item protection restrictions. Ql: 50.32082, Dam: 0.0. The name of the owner, Joedobo, has been etched on a pole."

*container*

- Subject to the standard 100 items per container limitaion.

- Its internal volume is very large and it can hold 12 felled trees and 22 cotton. Rafts won't fit in the tent regardless what's inside it. This is ~100 small barrels or ~60 backpacks.

*open*

- Unlocked it can be opened by anyone.

- When locked only those with a key can open it. Even the own can't open if she doesn't have a key.

*hitch/unitch*

- Can unhitch or hitch a creature when locked or unlocked whether owner has key in inventory.

- Only the owner can hitch animals regardless of locked status.

- Has hitch space for one animal.

*take*

- Can not pick up a tent with an animal hitched to it.

- Can not pick up a tent with items inside it.

- Only the owner can pick up a locked tent (assuming its empty and nothing hitched).

*lock/unlock*

- Only the owner can lock.

- Anyone with a key can remove the lock.

*drop*

- Can not be dropped on deed or perimeter tiles whether its a deed you're a member of or foreign too. "[00:21:56] You are not allowed to put your tent there."

- While the graphic may occupy multiple tiles the tent is not restricted where it can be dropped because of this size. You could drop it inside a 1x1 pen or house.

- The tent can only be dropped inside a house you have the writ too.

- Can only have one tent per a tile."[00:20:29] You cannot drop that item here, since there is not enough space in front of you."

*destroy*

No destory limitations and compared to other furniture items a tent is very easy to destroy.

I didn't test what happens if you destroy a tent with a animals hitched or stuff inside it.

Edited by joedobo
  • Like 4

Ok , thanks for the info.  If you can not unlock a tent without your key, then this means that if you die and respawn back at your tent you can't open it because your key will be with your body? 

I do wish they would make a keyring or something so we not lose keys upon death

Ok , thanks for the info.  If you can not unlock a tent without your key, then this means that if you die and respawn back at your tent you can't open it because your key will be with your body? 

It appears you won't be able to open the tent if the key on your dead body. 

@ thread.

Need information about how spawning works. Server wide? between servers? a certain range (like alliance deeds)?

It appears the military tent is exactly the same as explorer in function.

Good info on this Explorer Tent. Hopefully more will contribute. And yes, kind of a bad situation to be killed far away with key on corpse, then choose the option to respawn at your tent only to be locked out of it. Defeats a major benefit of it. Should operate like a large cart where you can store the key anywhere and still have access and protections without carrying the key.

=Ayes=

Note -> please don't talk about how you wish things where or what actions the devs should take. This thread is about trying to figure how tents actually work. I often am disappointed with some Dev actions/opinions but its a waste of time to dwell on it.

You're free to waste as much of your time as you want. If you don't care about the inevitable "but but but that's how it worked 2 days ago", "yes, but that wasn't intended, we patched it last night, sorry about your 5-speeder and all the enchanted stuff on her but there is nothing we can do", that's on you,I'm not toying with that.

Now how about, instead of having multiple people wasting their time trying to figure things out, we have ONE dev spend 5 minutes or less to type a short paragraph about how tents are supposed to work? As far as I'm concerned, there are no tents in the game yet. Good job guys, wasting hours and days of development time then not spending the five minutes that would make that resource investment useful. It's not the old Wurm of 10 years ago, isn't it, where people had to figure *everything* out by themselves, isn't it, today we have announcements, weekly work and progress updates, don't we, there is communication with the players, isn't there?

Or, if they want us to test it, I have no problem with that. I'd be glad to help, but even in this case we need to know what to test and what to report, so we still need a description of the intended functionality and behaviour. I agree to test documented features, not try to reverse engineer a train of thought.

@ thread ... Its kinda sad that there are more posts here doubting developers then people trying to figure out how it works. Testing and adapting is something every play has the power to do. As I said before, I'm often disappointed with the developers but complaining too or asking them to do something else doesn't change anything. I want to focus on things that I can make an actual difference in.

@ Neofit ... I don't care what the developers do. Trying to tell others what actions they should take is a waste of time if you don't have the power to force compliance. Trying to support opinions and show how something is wrong or rite is a waste of time when the decision makers are more interested in their own opinions (developer vision) of how things should be.

Did anyone test respawning at tents? Is that even i thing?

Good info on this Explorer Tent. Hopefully more will contribute. And yes, kind of a bad situation to be killed far away with key on corpse, then choose the option to respawn at your tent only to be locked out of it. Defeats a major benefit of it. Should operate like a large cart where you can store the key anywhere and still have access and protections without carrying the key.

=Ayes=

maybe like buildings. with a writ of sorts?? or manage like a cart or boat too.

*spawn point*

"In the darkness" resurrection UI:Tent silver outpost

Tent's rename:silver outpost

Mouse over name:cotton explorer tent

Log Out inside a tent uses the standard off deed /lotime.

death penalty from lava death and resurrect inside a tent.

[03:44:10] Fighting decreased by 0.0253 to 1.000

[03:44:10] Body strength decreased by 1.09 to 20.000

[03:44:10] Body decreased by 0.0100 to 8.503

[03:44:10] Axes decreased by 0.250 to 7.068

[03:44:10] Carpentry decreased by 0.250 to 19.026

[03:44:10] Woodcutting decreased by 4.49 to 20.000

[03:44:10] Gardening decreased by 0.250 to 4.518

[03:56:35] Body decreased by 0.0100 to 8.493

[03:56:35] Carpentry decreased by 0.250 to 18.776

[03:56:35] Pickaxe decreased by 1.62 to 20.000

You appear inside the tent upon resurrection.

It appears that you don't need to be near the tent to use it as a resurrection point.

here is an outpost I made

A9jCrw5.png

• Like 1

You're free to waste as much of your time as you want. If you don't care about the inevitable "but but but that's how it worked 2 days ago", "yes, but that wasn't intended, we patched it last night, sorry about your 5-speeder and all the enchanted stuff on her but there is nothing we can do", that's on you,I'm not toying with that.

I don't think this a complaint as you say so much as it is "I have no idea if this is working as intended or not so I have no idea if it is going to be 'fixed' or not." With no documentation, being alive can not be working as intended and fixed. It's not that extreme, but if you have no info on how a thing is "intended" to work, how do you know anything at all is working as intended. Discovery is fine and dandy until everything discovered is not intended and it gets fixed and costs you - which might be today or 5 years from now.

Discovery is fine and dandy until everything discovered is not intended and it gets fixed and costs you - which might be today or 5 years from now.

" Hey devs, why don't you document or explain your intent for us players."  Sounds like a request/complaint/whatever to me. 

If a person doesn't want to test something, for whatever reason, then don't do it. If someone(s) wants to complain about how the devs don't explain features to us players, then make a new thread about such a subject. I'll make sure and put my instruction-manual support in such a thread. I'm total pro-instruction manual. If I had my way devs would be given an ultimatum of document or show yourself out the door. But, as I tired to point communicate multiple times so far. Its really hard to get people to do things when you have very little power over them.

" Hey devs, why don't you document or explain your intent for us players."  Sounds like a request/complaint/whatever to me. 

If a person doesn't want to test something, for whatever reason, then don't do it. If someone(s) wants to complain about how the devs don't explain features to us players, then make a new thread about such a subject. I'll make sure and put my instruction-manual support in such a thread. I'm total pro-instruction manual. If I had my way devs would be given an ultimatum of document or show yourself out the door. But, as I tired to point communicate multiple times so far. Its really hard to get people to do things when you have very little power over them.

It is a request/complaint/whatever in a sense, yes. I made a tent. It's sitting in a field being tested. I have a good idea what it does and doesn't do. But some of what it does and doesn't do is not the same as you noted in your test.

• Someone else can't put anything inside it and they are warned as such because they cannot take it back out. (This may have changed too but the tent does have a lock on it.)

It can be dropped on a deed. It just cannot be dropped near a wall or writ or object as far as I can tell. (Unless that changed since I dropped it.)

I was able to open and peek the inventory of a tent someone else dropped (then died and never came back for). I could not place anything into it and there was nothing inside it to try to take out though I am sure Karma would stop me on Freedom.

There are a number of things I noted here that are at odds with the OP. So yes, I am testing and I am seeing discrepancies which to me makes my request/complaint/whatever quite valid. Which changed? The things you noted or the things I did? Your results and mine don't match which makes testing invalid.  I am not trying to derail your topic with a request for release notes. I am simply saying the testing is not consistent and now I have no idea what is and isn't until I go back and do it all over again.

• Someone else can't put anything inside it and they are warned as such because they cannot take it back out. (This may have changed too but the tent does have a lock on it.)

It can be dropped on a deed. It just cannot be dropped near a wall or writ or object as far as I can tell. (Unless that changed since I dropped it.)

I was able to open and peek the inventory of a tent someone else dropped (then died and never came back for). I could not place anything into it and there was nothing inside it to try to take out though I am sure Karma would stop me on Freedom..

Thank you for actually doing something! Don't confuse the craftable tents with the newbie tent. I have not idea what the newbie tent does. As far as the rest of the post, assume things will change and nothing will be said.

I don't get any warnings but I also have the notification window hidden.

* I can remove from or place new items an explorer tent that is owned by another.

* I can not remove items from a locked explorer tent I don't own, even if I have the key. Yes, I can open it but I can't take the items. (although, I can remove the lock and then take the times).

* I can put items in a locked tent I don't own. I open it with the key and put things inside. But I can't take them back out. Again, I got the key and could remove the lock to take anything.

Take note that, "That would be very bad for your karma and is disallowed on this server." may also mean an item dropped by another is under proximity protection. You can avoid this with either friends or team.

* There don't appear to be any wall/fence/building restriction where I can drop an explorer tent. lol, I can even drop the explorer tent in a mine and no I'm not going to test resurrection on that.

* I can not drop an explorer tent in another's perimeter or deed. (I'm not near my deed with explorer so I can't test now.)

* I can not drop a military tent on my deed, my perimeter, or another's deed/perimeter.

* seems I can drop the pavillion anywhere.

Why would they do anything if all they have to do is wait and some obedient sla kind person ;) will do it for them. I already have a thread where I am asking for explanations about tents, and I'd rather other people spend more time in this fruitful pursuit that try to reverse engineer the devs' intent. And you are spending hours trying to figure out things without even knowing if it's the final iteration or it half of it will be changed this week, but hey, it's your free time.

The thing is, an "instruction manual" for such a new feature coming from a player is worthless. I've already been stuck in full plate half way on the other side of Deli without a horse (messed up and had it killed), and I'm not going through that again because of some rumours about tents. So you found out that they behave in this way and that way on May 28th. Just like I did "discover" that they won't fit into any container but a wagon's trunk, then a few days later I "discovered" that they would fit everywhere, with no specific mention of it on the patcher.

I have no problems using the wiki for recipes for instance, a small error in one has no consequences. But if you mess up somewhere in your testing with tents, or forget something, or something is changed in a patch, what's my recourse? You won't be there 24/7 to teleport me back to my deed or compensate me for the loss of my belongings. But there is something to argue about with the GMs if the behaviour is not as documented. So as far as I'm concerned we have no tents in the game yet. And I'd encourage people not to go out and put themselves and their belongings in harm's way until we know that tents are fully implemented and the implementation is documented.

Random thought: If you drop a tent in combat just before dying, can you use it to respawn right away? :P

Why would they do anything if all they have to do is wait and some obedient sla kind person ;) will do it for them. I already have a thread where I am asking for explanations about tents, and I'd rather other people spend more time in this fruitful pursuit that try to reverse engineer the devs' intent.

Why would a dev put the extra work in to document things when they can just ignore a player(s)? If a player doesn't like something it doesn't matter. I'm tell you it doesn't matter how much you complain because it won't force the developers to change their ways. In the 7+ years I been playing this game there is only one situation where the developers will be overridden. And that is when a HUGE portion of community complains to Rolf.

I now try to look at things different. That is that the devs suck and will do dumb things. I can't force them to change so I"ll just adapt. But if I see a lot of people complaining about something I'll make sure to support their cause (assuming its something I believe in).

And you are spending hours trying to figure out things without even knowing if it's the final iteration or it half of it will be changed this week, but hey, it's your free time.

Everything in Wum can change tomorrow and the developers (including Rolf) are known to label (exploit, bug, unintended) changes as whatever they see fit.

The thing is, an "instruction manual" for such a new feature coming from a player is worthless. I've already been stuck in full plate half way on the other side of Deli without a horse (messed up and had it killed), and I'm not going through that again because of some rumours about tents. So you found out that they behave in this way and that way on May 28th. Just like I did "discover" that they won't fit into any container but a wagon's trunk, then a few days later I "discovered" that they would fit everywhere, with no specific mention of it on the patcher.

Yes, player made instruction manuals do have large potential to contain errors, especially when the creators don't tell us anything about the features. Although, again as I've said multiple times, what are you going to do when you have no power to force change and the developers have clearly shown they are just going to ignore complaints?

And I'd encourage people not to go out and put themselves and their belongings in harm's way until we know that tents are fully implemented and the implementation is documented.

Good point. I'll edit the OP and add a big bold statement trying to communicate I'm just a humble ignorant player trying to figure stuff out...use this information at your own risk.

I understand where your coming and even sympathise with you. But what are you going to do if the developers just ignore ya? What are you going to do if you some how get the attention of one and their reply is basicly, "I'm the godly developer, kiss my boots".

Neofit, Information on how tents function is good, even conflicting information, since it gives more to consider. Someone such as Joedobo doing tests such as this and posting the results is doing a positive service for everyone who has an interest in the subject. I doubt many would spend the time doing this, myself included. I always find that I learn the most from reading about others experiences within the game and then in turn draw my own conclusions from that information provided. If I am unsure about any accuracy posted, then I can narrow my focus down to that aspect and check it out for myself.

=Ayes=

I wasn't testing tents but I discovered this purely by chance... I had stored my tent inside my Wagon and was loading my crates with silver when I accidentally dragged them onto my tent, and I could fit 100 silver ore inside my tent while it was in my wagon.  Don't think it's worth a massive amount to mention but thought i'd let some of you know :)

They are called bags of keeping, or boks and mboks :P

Only the super special people have those. :ph34r:

Kidding aside, aye a craftable key ring would be nice with a lot of keys; though, personally it should drop on death. Perhaps a nodrop, (5?) key-only key ring as a gift.

So played with explorer tents a bit...

Tents can have items put in them while not on the ground if dragging from the bank or bsb/crate.

Internal volume: ~4020 (tested: 50 logs + 20 iron lumps)

External volume: ~2 (tested: can be put in a raft together with 40 shards and 2 iron lumps)

Now imagine a cart, with 7 rafts, with 100 tents each... 2808400 volume

[14:49:33] You are not allowed to do that! The explorer tent must be on the ground.

same story for military tent.

Dang wish I had put a one(or more) in my magic chest and filled it with backpacks...

[14:49:33] You are not allowed to do that! The explorer tent must be on the ground.

same story for military tent.

Dang wish I had put a one(or more) in my magic chest and filled it with backpacks...

I don't think you can put them in magic chests even if they should fit by volume, so far the only containers i found to work are boats, rafts, carts, wagons and other tents :P

Everything else i described still works.