Sign in to follow this  
Cyberdragon

Crossbows!

Well, we do have bows...

What about crossbows, then? They pack a harder punch than bows, but use a different ammo (bolts) and take longer to reload, thus nerfing them to avoid abuse.

Awaiting opinions.

• Like 9

+1 once again

this suggestion been here almost exactly every month =P

Well, we do have bows...

What about crossbows, then? They pack a harder punch than bows, but use a different ammo (bolts) and take longer to reload, thus nerfing them to avoid abuse.

Awaiting opinions.

I always think crossbows would be a nice option. As long the ones that can penetrate armor cannot be loaded from horseback. Then they should be fine.

+1 
Crossbows should be better against plate armour.

+1, separate skill under archery and prob would make with like....springs?

You could make 3 different types of crossbows, hunting crossbow, heavy crossbow and arbalests.

The hunting crossbow could be just wood. The heavy crossbow could be made with steel and wood. The arbalest could be made with wood, steel(larger amount) and hooks. They could basically be the ranges of short, med and longbow respectively.

+1

However, it's already hard to manage bow i wonder the oddies how to manage a crossbow :)

cheers

Crossbows should have a set ammount of damage that doesnt scale with stats.  So newer players can use a crossbow to get some punch from the start, but a high skilled archer will still be more effective than a crossbowmen.

Or something along those lines, since the crossbow was a weapon that required less skill, and unlike the bow, the pull was set by the artifact, instead of the user.

• Like 2

As Ive always said in crossbow threads, they should have a significantly longer loading and cranking timer than using a bow. Possibly similar ingame mechanics as a catapult.

Would have the advantage of having one loaded and ready to fire at a moments notice, perhaps a small chance of one firing accidentally and hitting anything in front.

• Like 2

Rathgar actually really hit a nail there, this is true, and if it were implemented, this would be the best way to implement it. The damage is based on the weapon instead of the bolt itself, the bolt increases penetration power (more likely to hit through armor instead of arrow bouncing off.), almost reverse of the bow skills, and the crossbow mastery skills would only improve loading speed, but not down to 5 seconds, 10/13/15 respectively.

• Like 1

Could also be more accurate with a crossbowto

Edited by Druidnature

I'd expand on this

Light Crossbow - (hunting crossbow) faster reload less armor penetration - good for those heavier armored monsters - hardened scorpions for example - good against low QL plate

Heavy crossbow - much longer reloads - but can punch through armor - really only useful for pvp

I'm sure you could add more bolt types ect ect but for now I'm keeping it simple

+1

Heavier crossbows are made of steel cable. These are too stiff to be manually winched, so they should require a portable wincing device.

Crossbows might be cool so would muskets but I don't think any firearms will ever be implamented but +1 for crossbows

1+ for crossbows

at least a hunting crossbow would be pretty sweet

a crossbow for high levels and a sling for low levels would be great addition as the heavier damage and complicated nature of crossbows but the low ammo requirement would be great for accurate high level players - while a cheap easy to make sling (kinda like sling shot) to throw iron balls or stone balls (chisel+shards) for quick low level (ok I don't care what anyone says making arrows at low levels is terrible) ranged weapon

-1 just a useless addition that should only be added when theres free time and no problems. There are 3 bows made as a perfectly non-op ranged weapons. Crossbows are much more accurate and a bit more on the modern side. If that would be added then they may as well combine a ball and random items in it to make a grenade

1st - try shooting a plate armored player with a bow tell me how perfect they are - I seriously dare you - they bounce or get shield blocked 80-90% of the time

2nd crossbows while advanced do not come close to a grenade in game style or damage output

3rd - they already stated the slower reload and primary use for high armored targets like players and large monsters like dragons who really can only be killed be clubbing with huge axes

and while crossbows may be simpler to use either in the hands of a good player can drop any animal and the refire rate of bows would allow a simpler kill - but for those who like to use less ammo. in pvp bows are just about useless other then killing horses and noobs (only way to kill a player is if his stamina is 0 and can no longer block and really unload into him which isn't pvp its just kinda sad)

Edited by Forgedrake