Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Polls for questions or answers which won't be implemented.

... Danged if they do and danged if they don't. I swear, some people in this community live in wurm just to argue for the sake of arguing. I'm not a fanboi or wurm fanatic. But why is it, every time they implement something "players" have asked years for. Those same players argue end over end on the little things. EVERY online game places disclaimers saying that although they take your vote/comments into consideration. It doesn't mean implementation. It's just common sense. They are asking for our opinions yes. But to argue that because they don't implement our opinions, then asking is useless, is just absurd. Food joints, stores... a number of places use one form or another of polling people their opinions.

• Like 4

So much text. Didn't have time to read all the responses but I just wante I say try are probably interested in opinions shared by almost all of the player base to make their decisions.

IE 90% votes yes, they would probably do it from overwhelming popularity.

However a 55-45 doesn't really do much so they make the final decision, which may not go to the majority.

... Danged if they do and danged if they don't. I swear, some people in this community live in wurm just to argue for the sake of arguing. I'm not a fanboi or wurm fanatic. But why is it, every time they implement something "players" have asked years for. Those same players argue end over end on the little things. EVERY online game places disclaimers saying that although they take your vote/comments into consideration. It doesn't mean implementation. It's just common sense. They are asking for our opinions yes. But to argue that because they don't implement our opinions, then asking is useless, is just absurd. Food joints, stores... a number of places use one form or another of polling people their opinions.

Really? I've been playing games for like years, haven't seen that ever. Matter of fact not many games have ingame polls.

Sure its a given that Polls wouldn't ever have a binding effect, you'd have to be retarded to think that way.

Problem is the way its handled in Wurm. With the latest rush of covering their asses with warnings and disclaimers, they're basically just making it so that many people will be demoralized about that message and not participate at all.

Instead of assuming we're all a bunch of retards and adding disclaimers and such. They should put it as it were, and when they'd have to justify having to back down from a poll decision, they do it, they explain to us. But then that's probably the issue, since explaining why things are done or how things work seems to be very much against CC's core philosophy, and basically their core problem.

• Like 1

Because who says this will be used more frequently then the forums, its hardly been advertised

People who play the game get an in game note in the event window saying there is a poll open for them to vote in. Thus it has the potential to reach any premium player who logs in to the game.

That's not a very good example, Hordern. That poll had an overwhelming "yes" response...  and was a good idea.

I was linking to the fact that people can buy and sell votes (which is clearly a good reason to not blindly run with any result), not the topic of the thread.

People could also but premium alts and vote yes/no.

If devs had to abide by the yes/no, a person can go pay 1000e for a lot of accounts, and vote no to P&R merge, instantly destroying any real results. Lol

The day when the question is "Should we allow pvp on the Freedom servers" and all the stars line up right and the majority vote yes. You will be glad they dont make the vote the final word.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP, why ask the community if you have no intention on honoring their wishes.  

It's almost like when people post all the things wrong with Wurm Online and the fanbois come up with the same lame excuses for the game defense.  Neither side is listening so whats the point in typing it.

People could also but premium alts and vote yes/no.

If devs had to abide by the yes/no, a person can go pay 1000e for a lot of accounts, and vote no to P&R merge, instantly destroying any real results. Lol

I know of people owning 10 alts, and they're usually in alliances full of other people with multiple alts. In a game with less than a thousand active players, that adds up when you consider most of these people would vote from the same elitist perspective. It's like if Republicans were allowed to have as many votes as they payed for. If that happened we wouldn't have Obama. And as an American I'm obligated to say only nice things about Obama because he watches me when I sleep... (help me...)

I agree with the OP, why ask the community if you have no intention on honoring their wishes.

To gauge the community's opinion when the devs are on the fence of something, or when there's a decision to be made that impacts the game experience in a way that's very subjective to player tastes?

Let's not assume these new polls were part of some drastic overhaul of how the game is managed. The development direction of the game has never been subject to direct democracy. Polls have probably had an effect on some dev decisions, but practicality and the "ultimate vision" of developers have always been the foundation of any development decisions.

To gauge the community's opinion when the devs are on the fence of something, or when there's a decision to be made that impacts the game experience in a way that's very subjective to player tastes?

Let's not assume these new polls were part of some drastic overhaul of how the game is managed. The development direction of the game has never been subject to direct democracy. Polls have probably had an effect on some dev decisions, but practicality and the "ultimate vision" of developers have always been the foundation of any development decisions.

My "ultimate vision" for the game I'm hypothetically developing in this post is you wading through a sea of steaming hot diarrhea for days in nothing but your tighty-whiteys while annoying pop music plays and invisible mosquitoes slowly drain your life until you die. Want to go play my game?

Edit: Just to make it more fun, I'll give you a pair of trousers and a speedboat if you pay me $24.99 a month. A shirt will cost you extra. And I doubt shoes are even in your budget, so prepare to feel that brown stuff squish between your toes.

Edited by Jeixi

My "ultimate vision" for the game I'm hypothetically developing in this post is you wading through a sea of steaming hot diarrhea for days in nothing but your tighty-whiteys while annoying pop music plays and invisible mosquitoes slowly drain your life until you die. Want to go play my game?

You'd probably find a niche audience for that. I get that you're saying that the developer's vision of the game is entirely subjective and may be different to yours, and you are entirely right. If I started smelling poo that'd be my que to jump ship. The development direction of any game regardless of genre is ultimately subject to the tastes and visions of its creators. The devs make the game they think they'd want to play within the parameters they see as feasible. All games are developed like this, but it only becomes an apparent problem with "in-progress" games such as Wurm.

EDIT:

The poll isn't even the issue here. Even if the poll outcomes were 100% binding, that still wouldn't grant the community control over the development process because the selection of questions and options would, too, be affected by the developer's ideas of what the game should be like. The significance of the new poll system is that it's accessible to more players unlike forum polls and thus represents the community's opinions better.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

You'd probably find a niche audience for that. I get that you're saying that the developer's vision of the game is entirely subjective and may be different to yours, and you are entirely right. If I started smelling poo that'd be my que to jump ship. 

Wurm has a niche audience. I'm not saying that the developer's vision of the game is entirely subjective and may be different than mine. I'm saying I smell poo, and am jumping ship. 

i like that my voice can be heard by the way of poll's , and if my vote helps to better the game that's wonderful to and if they don't use my vote then that's ok also , just glad to be here in wurm and yes i hope they continue to improve the game ,  cause we all know there are bugs n stuff that need fixing..

Wurm has a niche audience. I'm not saying that the developer's vision of the game is entirely subjective and may be different than mine. I'm saying I smell poo, and am jumping ship. 

Can you please speed up the jumping ship part.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 26, 2014 - Removed - Inappropriate
Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 26, 2014 - Removed - Inappropriate

Yep. He makes me want to take up pole dancing. As a spectator.

I am more impressed with the skill she showed in actually doing that walk.  But most people who don't get out of their basement much all they see is girl on pole wearing very little... or as it more commonly called "fap bait".   

Because sometimes you will only implement something if 75% or even 90% want it - because it's so expensive to do, or dangerous/difficult to test, or there were three big things you wanted very much to get in place first that will make that much desired thing more viable within the game design.

That goes without saying tho if you ask me. The reason why there needs to be a disclaimer on the wurm polls is probably the epic sense of entitlement and whining that a small portion of this playerbase exhibits.