Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Tents tweaked

A lot of tweaks were made to tents to make them work more like we stated. PLEASE NOTE that we made an error in the post where we describe the functionality – only the newbie tent does not need to be locked on the freedom servers. The other tents should work like normal containers and can be taken unless locked, as well as lockpicked in the wild. Subject to change if this makes them a lot less usable but there has to be a way of getting rid of tents littering an area.

You can now lock pavilions but they are not containers

Colour of vote-question reminder in event tab changed

Added a note to end of voting screen to say “There is no guarantee that any majority vote will result in the implementation or removal of anything.”

Added instructions to top of list of voting questions

Added permissions check (for desecration of altars on deed)

You can no longer bash wall plans

Source springs and fountains will now replenish more often

Changed so unhitch does not use an active item

• Like 1

• You can no longer bash wall plans

Any chance of a little clarification on this? What type of wall plans? Just standard stone/fence/gate? Or are we talking house walls?

So in other words, voting is just asking for our opinion and stating that it doesn't matter what we (the active players) think? Cool, 10/10 PR skills.

• Like 4

Any chance of a little clarification on this? What type of wall plans? Just standard stone/fence/gate? Or are we talking house walls?

There was a bug where you could bash wall plans (the wooden frame left over from decay or before you build a wall) But when you bashed the plan it'd give you stat gains but the plan wouldn't go away, easily exploited.

Edit: I discreetly reported the bug to avoid exploitation of the bug

Edited by Shadz

Ahh, good. Not what it sounded like initially. Thankyou Shadz.

• Like 2

• Added a note to end of voting screen to say “There is no guarantee that any majority vote will result in the implementation or removal of anything.â€

so why add it then, its just like every other poll on the forum.

• Like 5

• Added a note to end of voting screen to say “There is no guarantee that any majority vote will result in the implementation or removal of anything.â€

Cause wurm online is all about "Appearing" that they care how the players really think. 

• Like 5

• A lot of tweaks were made to tents to make them work more like we stated. PLEASE NOTE that we made an error in the post where we describe the functionality – only the newbie tent does not need to be locked on the freedom servers. The other tents should work like normal containers and can be taken unless locked, as well as lockpicked in the wild. Subject to change if this makes them a lot less usable but there has to be a way of getting rid of tents littering an area.

You can now lock pavilions but they are not containers

[...]

Whooooo to lockpicking!

So on the PVE servers, it is legal to lockpick the non-new player tents if they are off-deed?

Edited by Hussars

So on the PVE servers, it is legal to lockpick the non-new player tents if they are off-deed?

I'm gonna assume when they said Wild, they meant Chaos because the rules state:

Freedom Isles ( Excluding Chaos ) & Golden Valley Server Specific Rules (Griefing)

Lockpicking

It is illegal to lockpick anything that does not belong to you.

So in other words, voting is just asking for our opinion and stating that it doesn't matter what we (the active players) think? Cool, 10/10 PR skills.

In-game voting was always wanted because only a certain portion of the player base frequents the forums enough to vote on changes when they come in.

A game-wide vote gives a better representation of what players want rather than the minority of forum-goers.

Votes have never been "if 50.1% want this, we'll add it, screw the other 49.9%", so the clarification was added in game. The voting gives us all a better idea of what players want, but if there is a large portion of the player base that is against the idea, even though there is a slight majority that wants it, it may still be a bad idea to add to the game.

• Like 3

I'm gonna assume when they said Wild, they meant Chaos because the rules state:

Freedom Isles ( Excluding Chaos ) & Golden Valley Server Specific Rules (Griefing)

Lockpicking

It is illegal to lockpick anything that does not belong to you.

They actually say "in the wild" not "in wild" or "on wild".

The full quote being:

"The other tents should work like normal containers and can be taken unless locked, as well as lockpicked in the wild."

"In the wild" implies anywhere on or off deed on any server, I asked about PVE specifically because the context established in the previous line was referring to PVE servers.

I agree it would be best to assume it was a misstatement, but without a clarification on it, guess how fast the first complaint about having their tent lockpicked comes in.

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 1

Non-newbie tents can both be lockpicked *and* bashed? On the pve-servers? Do I understand this correctly?

As long as they do ask people's opinion on votes it means they fo care about what we say, and I'm sure that if 90% of people vote for something, it will happen.

However, in close votes situations, they reserve the right to not dumb implement some major changes judt because 51% of players want at some point one thing, but instead think at an alternative that would please a larger msjority.

55% may want cake, 45% may want pancakes, but maybe if we add icecream in equation 80% will want it. ;)

Not implement dumb changes? Since when do they care about not adding dumb changes? Here's a very short and incomplete list:

Great helm archery nerf

Animal ratio

Inbreeding penalties

Chance of shattering on a failed cast regardless of power or item ql

Red cherries

Continuum (pre-nerf)

Champ points and rank from capping towers and battle camps

etc.

@Budda: I understand what you are saying. However, when a suggestion thread receives 15-20 likes on the OP and has huge popular support (specifically removing the ratio) with the exception of about 2-3 people who disagree, there is no reason for a developer to not even comment on it. The problem here is that our opinions are only valued when they are specifically requested, which is a huge problem considering we just started getting charged 60% more a year ago and are still receiving sub-par service. Lastly, Rolf can't get past his owns views of what is good for the game (he quit his own game, let's not forget that) to see what a majority of players think is good for the game, who are actively playing on a regular basis and who are paying for his food, clothing, and for Wurm Online to keep running.

Here's a good place to start:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/99693-remove-the-ratio-from-pvp-servers/page-1

• Like 4

Honestly, it's been in so long, right now you're probably the only one really vocal about it.  I manage animals on several deeds and I've got 0 issues with the ratio, removing this..... great... but it's not a game change to really "improve" and make people join/stay. It just encourages noobs to have deeds, which in a way isn't such a bad thing.

A good improvement that affects everyone, is fixing the memory leak, and making the client not poop itself with 40 people in local, then wurm can handle more players

• Like 4

As MattSquare put it Budda, to be honest at the moment wurm is adding a lot more things at the moment and i'm also aware that staff work on different things, dependent on their skills. So this in no way is a criticism of the staff, don't take it as that. Yet, the suggestions forum is meant to be there for a purpose, there is an obvious difference between an informative and productive suggestion and other "ideas" yet many simply fall off the net. If we're getting a council in to elect these suggestions why add a redundant voting system in game, wouldn't the recommended and voted on suggestions in the forums be the ones looked into. 

Again not having a go, just confuzzled.

Edited by FreeTineen

The reason I'm the only one vocal about it is because everyone gave up trying due to the devs not caring that we want it removed.

• Like 1

In-game voting was always wanted because only a certain portion of the player base frequents the forums enough to vote on changes when they come in.

A game-wide vote gives a better representation of what players want rather than the minority of forum-goers.

Votes have never been "if 50.1% want this, we'll add it, screw the other 49.9%", so the clarification was added in game. The voting gives us all a better idea of what players want, but if there is a large portion of the player base that is against the idea, even though there is a slight majority that wants it, it may still be a bad idea to add to the game.

Any half-wit would realize that. But then again if you're the ones doing the polls, then if the majority agrees, maybe it would be expected to change in that direction, otherwise why poll at all?

Adding that warning is the same as saying don't vote at all because its meaningless. So basically if your PR rep agreed to this, sack the guy. My 10 year old cousin figured out how bad a move this was.

Adding little warnings and disclaimers doesn't exempt you from your responsibilities, nor is an excuse for incompetence.

Honestly, it's been in so long, right now you're probably the only one really vocal about it.  I manage animals on several deeds and I've got 0 issues with the ratio, removing this..... great... but it's not a game change to really "improve" and make people join/stay. It just encourages noobs to have deeds, which in a way isn't such a bad thing.

A good improvement that affects everyone, is fixing the memory leak, and making the client not poop itself with 40 people in local, then wurm can handle more players

Nope he's not. Fixing memory leaks isn't an improvement, its fixing a REAL existent BUG. If Rolf can go out of his way to fix supposed bugs that only became bugs after almost 10 years of being there. Maybe then fixing actual bugs should be somewhere on the top of the to do-list.

• Like 1

jesus christ y'all are rude. the in-game polls are a good tool to gauge the playerbase, but it's a video game, not a democracy. why is everybody acting like votes = content updates

• Like 3

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 22, 2014 - Removed - Staff bashing
Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 22, 2014 - Removed - Staff bashing

Thanks for spending the time to add this feature.

I am glad time was spend on asking us for our votes when you in fact only want our opinion if it backs some useless crap or notion that matters only to Dev's.

Clearly time could have been spent on age old bugs or really listening to your players, but no, you did what matters. Cared about your selves and pissing off us, the players aka guinea pigs.

It's maybe why you haven't noticed Wurm is dying; no insult, no trolling, it's fact based on your own graphs.

You're down 1,000 prem's over the 12 months and at the risk of your jobs you still foolish promote your own selfish buinsness practices and horrific lack of common sense.

Welp make it 1003. I, my alt and my friend will not be renewing.

Edited by Omgderp

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 22, 2014 - Removed - Unnecessary
Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 22, 2014 - Removed - Unnecessary

I guess the turth hurts, hence the deleting of myself and 5 other replies.

Edited by Omgderp

Some of you are truly awful human beings.  Its disgusting to see people speak so crassly and so poorly toward others that are only trying to help make a more entertaining and enjoyable game.

Its almost as if some of you have no shame and no compassion at all, but plenty of ego.  Plenty of ego that you're willing to use to talk down and be condescending toward people that truly don't deserve it.  I bet none of you would even talk to a dog that way.

I would feel sorry for you... I really would.  But you probably feel entitled to that too, just like you feel entitled to a perfect game experience made by perfect people, all for you... the perfect player.

• Like 1

Arcadies

Know what else is disgusting, loosing a 1000 premium players in 12 months and watching Wurm sink because of a lack of common sense, not fixing bugs, adding endlessly buggy content, not addressing the player's real wants and super poor business practices.

So I most certainly do feel entitlement, talk to me when you've been around 8 years, you prolly still find Wogic "cute"...

As for my dog, he has more common sense than Rolf, so you're correct.

Edited by Omgderp
  • Like 1

There was a bug where you could bash wall plans (the wooden frame left over from decay or before you build a wall) But when you bashed the plan it'd give you stat gains but the plan wouldn't go away, easily exploited.

Edit: I discreetly reported the bug to avoid exploitation of the bug

Should of told me about it

Sign in to follow this