Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Probably a new non-pvp server coming

After considering the options and thinking about it I think the best way forward seems to be to create a new server after all.

You would be able to get to the new server but not back so it will be a one way trip. You may be able to sail there by boat but that still isn't decided. It makes it a hassle to set the servers up properly. A portal is way easier.

After a few weeks the possibility to go to the new server will close except from the Golden Valley server.

Like some people suggest below it is possible that there will be portals to the non-pvp server in the future as well. We have time to sort it out still:)

There will not be a way to get back to the old pvp/kvk servers until we figure out a proper solution to the issues we've discussed and that may take months (there's summer holidays coming up after all).

The new server will have a new map. Hopefully we can add new uniques as well. It will have max ore quality. You will probably not be able to build kingdom towers or you will have to call the guards to get help. Some people want guards and some people want hunting grounds.

I haven't decided if you are going to have no kingdom or form a new kingdom. I don't believe in keeping your old kingdoms and live in peace since mainly it will make the server code messy. Most probably you'll form a new kingdom.

I don't know when this new server arrives since I haven't ordered it yet.

When the new server is in place and people have moved it is very probable that the skill limitations on the current home servers for invaders are lessened or removed, as well as the ore cap increased, maybe to 75 if not removed totally. More things we need to discuss.

WOOOOOOOOOOOT yay that your actually considering it :) and take the time better that then rush your ideas out :P

btw wont this also cause that most of the gv newbies will actualy go to this server after a while? and not to the other 3?

I think think there shouldnt be a portal from GV to the new server. Since the GV people haven't tried PVP and stuff they will mostly go to the new server, and maybe think later. I want to PvP, but they cant go back then. I think the best way is to put a portal on every Kingdom headtowns. The GV people have to go to say MR Home server and then go to the new server.

It will have max ore quality.

Why? If it is a one way trip there is no need to ore cap!

um what i see is that he says that it will have max ore quality not a cap :)

It will have max ore quality.

Why? If it is a one way trip there is no need to ore cap!

Max ore = no ore cap...

There will not be a way to get back to the old pvp/kvk servers until we figure out a proper solution to the issues we've discussed and that may take months (there's summer holidays coming up after all).

I find that a little weird. Does that mean, when there is a solution for the KvK servers (JKH and MRH) for people who do not want to get involved in PvP (i.e. being raided), there WILL be a way to go back to your old kingdom?

Why are you offering the server then in the first place? I would expect people to stay on the new server anyway, after they moved and build up a place and all that, also there's no ore QL cap, why would they go back except for the only thing different on JKH and MRH, i.e. KvK is present?

After a few weeks the possibility to go to the new server will close except from the Golden Valley server.

What about the people on JKH/MRH/Wild that MAY want to move to the new server but miss the news about it? Is your intention to keep the number of high skilled players at a minimum? This may have pros and cons, one thing for sure, the ones who choose to travel will most likely have a monopoly on high ql items, since only a few or even nobody else has high enough skill.

I think think there shouldnt be a portal from GV to the new server. Since the GV people haven't tried PVP and stuff they will mostly go to the new server, and maybe think later. I want to PvP, but they cant go back then. I think the best way is to put a portal on every Kingdom headtowns. The GV people have to go to say MR Home server and then go to the new server.

hm aye ab and nt for mr and jk where a portal to the new server would be forever id say and no portal from gv to the new one would solve that problem(that problem being other 3 getting smaller in population due to almost everyone going to the new one)

It is possible like Danypos suggests that there will be a portal to the non-pvp server in every start town instead of from GV. We have time to decide upon that as well.

what about those of us would like to check it out but perhaps change our minds? :s

also, it might be splitting up freinds by making it not have travel back and forth. some of us like to pop beetween servers to visit you know..lol

After considering the options and thinking about it I think the best way forward seems to be to create a new server after all.

Quite by chance I looked over here today, and saw this. Perhaps you should consider sending a letter to your old customers.

A week or so before the new server coming up will be nice.

I like the idea.

I also like Danypos' idea of having the portals be in start towns like Newtown. This idea can single handedly renew the once bustling nature of Newtown. I hate going through Newtown local and seeing nobody. With all the Spirit Avengers running around it is like I'm really in a ghost town!

Another big thing is marketing. Since KvK was introduced there hasn't been many devastating attacks, at least of the nature that would disrupt daily spindle imping.. I would hate for people to think that just by joining MR-H or JK-H that they are committing suicide or otherwise throwing their life away, so they'd have to go to the new server or die. The reality is that the server as it is today is not that different from 3 months ago.

Hello Rolf,

You state that Kingdom Towers will probably not be buildable. I would ask that you would consider that the new kingdom design allow Towers. Some of the Players I have spoken with that want to go to the new server do not want to train FS to fight off aggressive creatures. These players would rather build towers and let the Kingdom guards handle it.

I fear that my comments may have partially influenced you to consider making the decision to remove Towers from the new server. Please do not take into account what I said in the forums, as it is clear that I should leave Wurm.

Please reconsider Tower building in the new server for the benefit of those Players that prefer not to fight. Thank you Sir.

What happens to the ore cap at JK and MR ?

Sorry Rolf i read wrong. wipeout and Danypos are right. :)

I read "It will have a max ore quality."

When the new server is in place and people have moved it is very probable that the skill limitations on the current home servers for invaders are lessened or removed, as well as the ore cap increased, maybe to 75 if not removed totally. More things we need to discuss.

I'd say, remove all of it. Limitations are annoying. Might consider removing the home pvp limits aswell (attacking same kingdom, due spies and other issues).

Before I choose to move or not to move i would like to know EXACTLY what will happen to the raider caps and ore levels on the current homeservers.  If raiders will still have for example, a 50% CR thats a WAY different danger level than if they have full fightskill.

I think that before the new server is set up you need to make a final decision on this and post it to give people time to consider the move with full understanding of the final rules that they will play by based on thier choice.

I think it will need a portal from GV.

This is because if this works, this will in the long run be a very different set of servers, and new customers should have that choice when they join - in the same way as we have offered portals to both Home and Wild servers for each kingdom. This is not the same as with HoTS, since they are part of the Kingdom set up. I don't think people need a chance to try PvP first - most people already know whether they are interested in PvP or not. I am not at all in any way, for instance.

On the kingdom issue, I think the differentiation between the "Kingdoms" and these new lands is important both from marketing perspective and from the player perspective. How technically you work that out, however, is probably more to do with what sort of future communication between servers there should be. In other words, how much of the "kingdom" part of the code you will need to use to make that communication possible.  Story wise, I think it probably is better that the kingdom side were only part of coding necessity and not part of the "story."

I would be interested in what avatars Mortimar and Co can come up with.

As for towers - I think the building of towers will be very important for many players because they like their spider-defence ability. Again, this is down to casual playing. Many players don't have the time or inclination to build up their fight skill - they have other interests in a game. And being able to let the local tower guards on the main road deal with that sort of threat so there is one clear route is very important. Same with close communities. Some people like grouping together, but do not want the joint responsibility of a village. Homesteads have to be a certain distance apart, so the compromise is build a couple of towers.

However, the look of the towers is possibly wrong - so maybe a new model. And perhaps we can have fun with the way the guards work - make them a local malitia sitting round an old upturned crate playing poker and drinking coffee from tin mugs! Perhaps we can limit ranges and guard numbers a little more - make them only 10 X 10 tile ranges (so you can build them 20 apart) and with a maximum of 3 guards, so that the placing of them becomes more critical and more suited to guarding roads.

Even better, make them way points that you can set a patrol to guard between. You get just 1 guard per guard post, but you can then position a few of them down a road, link them together somehow and the guards will patrol between all the linked towers in straight lines. They can range off the straight line to a distance of 5 tiles either side if attracted to a beast, but essentially they stay on their lines (a variation of this would be interesting on the Kingdoms as well)

Also, to be honest, take the towers away, and you remove one of the only tall architectural items in the game (the other being a colossus). That would be a pity!

The advantage of sailing would be that many people can take their goods with them - including cart kits and so on. And of course, they want to take their boats! Especially those who have built the large ones.

I for one, want NO towers....

You dont need towers.... buy a deed!

I like to see the rules for this new server (Hopefully it do not allow Greefing) before moving

I for one, want NO towers....

You dont need towers.... buy a deed!

Well, you dont have towers round where you are. But these lands are pretty big. My tower down the east coast of JKH has no effect on you at all, but it is useful for me and stops me getting eaten when I go fishing.

I like the sailing idea, but if the server is separated and not part of the plot, then portals might be the more logical alternative.

The only thing is the boat problem, but you could always donate your boat or leave it as a landmark in memory of your name on the homeservers. ;P

-Maybe a paid server transfer for the way back, like they do in other games... that makes it somewhat less complicating and the Rolf gets money.

I don't have anything to say about the towers, except that I 100% agree with everything guru has said so far.

*is interested to see new player/tower models*

I am going with the assumption that the new server will be prem only could we get an official call on that.