Sign in to follow this  
neofit

So, tents?

So, where are we on the issue? I've just re-read the announcement on the launcher:

"We’ve just made it tons easier to explore and survive in Wurm with the addition of tents!"
and
"you can tie a creature to them"
and
"They make you happy!"

Not only there is an error of judgement, but it is factually incorrect: you haven't, you can't and they don't. Yet the tone of the announcement is such that one may think that your work on tents is done, victory and fireworks! To sum up what has been said in other threads:

1. You can't hitch or tie animals to them (I am talking about explorer and war tents)

2. Are the lists of ingredients for both final? Someone in his first year will have big trouble creating his tent.

3. You cannot store tents anywhere. An empty tent should be foldable and storable in a large chest, small or large cart, barrel, etc. Having to remove one crate from a wagon to store one tent, that otherwise fits inside my pants, is unacceptable. Besides it making no sense, how many players with less than 1 year in Wurm have enough skill to build a wagon? How many want to travel and explore? I don't even understand this train of thought, "hey, we'll make tents, but we won't let them store them anywhere, so they'll just keep them deployed on their deed"? A case of "Muahaha, gotcha!"? We shouldn't even have to build coffins in our houses to store all the mundane items that only fit into them, but you are going beyond that and want people to build a wagon with 50+ fine carpentry for storage is pure nonsense.
I know people with 3+ years in the game who don't even have 30 in FC, this skill is useless once you've done all the BSBs you need in the first months. Now you want people to spend days grinding FC to 50 just for one item, the wagon, so they can store one other item, a tent, in it? Way to fight for less mindless grind and better retention.

4. This is supposed to help with exploring, so we need info as to how they work exactly. Nobody will risk a 5-speeder with equipment and enchants, then a walk home that could take hours or days, based on rumours. We do need official info. Not only to know what to expect, but to then rightfully ask a GM for compensation when things don't work as officially announced.

What happens when I hitch a horse (whenever it becomes possible)? Does it log off with me? If not, can anyone take it? Can animals attack it? In short, how safe is it?
What happens if I log off inside a tent? Does my body stay helpless in the wild for 30 seconds as without a tent or does it disappear instantly? Do we have the benefits of a bed? And if not, why do you think we shouldn't? With all the cordage ropes needed, a tent is WAY more difficult to create than a bed.

• Like 3

+1  I agree with all of this. I had one made for me by a generous alliance member, only to find that I can't hitch my horse to it. I also read that unless you deposit an item inside its inventory when dropped, someone else is able to pick it up.

In their current state, the explorer tents are not at all useful for exploration. Some official word on if these issues are bugs / intended features etc. would be much appreciated. Exploration and travelling around servers is great fun in Wurm, with a lot to see. If the explorer tent could be fixed to work as it should, it would make this so much easier.

I also read that unless you deposit an item inside its inventory when dropped, someone else is able to pick it up.

Good catch, forgot that one. Suggestion:

They should not be droppable. There should be a "Plant" action, like with BSBs, so only the "planter" can "Fold tent" if empty and put it into his inventory, large or small cart, or chest when he's back on his deed.

I think that all these restrictions and complexity come from adding inventory to tents. I don't see any need for an inventory in them. I'd rather we had smaller tents without inventory, that fit into our pocket and any floor container. I need to be able to go into the wild, hitch my horse to it, and sleep in peace. Period. I don't need to store anything in it, certainly not with all the mess it adds as to where to store it, permissions, etc. A bit of extra inventory when traveling is of course handy, but that's not what travelers wanted to tent for. Travel inventory should be added to saddlebags... like 8 years ago.

• Like 3

Actually it takes half a day, 15-20 small chests and a little bit of sb to grind FC up for Wagons.

Or to make tents. :P

Agree with the rest, but it only takes a day, two if no enchants/SB - to grind the skills needed. (Fc is close to being the easiest skill in game) so not really any problem them

Additional functionality is being worked on, this is simply the start of them, allowing us as players to provide feedback as to what we want, hitching animals may simply be forgotten for explorer and war tents, and may be updated.

all in all, its too early to start complaining, instead provide feedback in a more positive manner

• Like 1

Additional functionality is being worked on, this is simply the start of them, allowing us as players to provide feedback as to what we want, hitching animals may simply be forgotten for explorer and war tents, and may be updated.

all in all, its too early to start complaining, instead provide feedback in a more positive manner

Oh, you again with this.

Your title is what, chat moderator? What do you know about the code, the design, the intent, etc., of the devs? How on earth what I typed above is not good feedback? Not enough brown-nosing?

Here, I'll copy-paste the announcement again:

"We’ve just made it tons easier to explore and survive in Wurm with the addition of tents!"

Which means: you have tents, go explore because they're done. Anyone with a tiny bit of critical thinking would want to ask the SOURCE what's going on with that. And the opinion of people outside of the development loop are irrelevant.

• Like 1

Looked at tents... dismissed the idea based on all the above...

1st iteration is not quite there, but we should please have a fix before the landrush or more complaints will almost surely come.

Agree with the rest, but it only takes a day, two if no enchants/SB - to grind the skills needed. (Fc is close to being the easiest skill in game) so not really any problem them

So you mean it's very fun to grind a skill that you only need for one item. Then spend hours trying to actually "Continue" the item. Instead of allowing one to simply store an empty tent anywhere. This adds exactly what to gameplay?

Good catch, forgot that one. Suggestion:

For military tents: When you store 1 item in it, no other can take the tent.(dont forget to put a large pad on it to lock it)

Explorertents for new players: no one can take it when you drop it and leave it empty.

i agree with the problem that you cant store tents in any other containers, but its not a big problem, the weight is 0,50kg or 3,5 kg and i believe the devs will work on it.

The important for me is to hitch a horse on it and the horse must be safe thats all, give the devs time i think they know about the problems and will fix it

Edited by Eject

Why!?   why releasing more incomplete features ?!

So you mean it's very fun to grind a skill that you only need for one item. Then spend hours trying to actually "Continue" the item. Instead of allowing one to simply store an empty tent anywhere. This adds exactly what to gameplay?

A reason to have grind said skills, and a bit of a accomplishment when you get there. Granted, not everyone likes to grind for a few hours, more less a week or two to get into 90's, but a few hours to make something isn't that bad, especially when you only need to do it once.

I know it depends on play styles, but I prefer to have *some, not all* require a bit of skill to make. Wagons were a perfect example of how to do it.

And, before someone says I only like it for abusing for profit, I don't sell anything. I build them for myself, and any alliance members/friends that need them (for free) and sometimes a regular player that's unable to build one. It's a self-accomplishment to me, but everyone has there own views of it.

All in all, I think it is too early to update the launcher saying you CAN hitch animals to them, if you actually can't. It doesn't say Soon you will be able to - if we get around to it.

When in your opinion is it not too early to point out (or complain) that announced features aren't working?

• Like 2

Actually it takes half a day, 15-20 small chests and a little bit of sb to grind FC up for Wagons.

Or to make tents. :P

Sure if you are on an established server, and have easy access to mats, but it wont be done to any great extent on Xanadu before the connection is made.

Assuming I botanize enough to get a decent crop of cotton and wemp in, I may be able to make one in a week, maybe.

Thats the part I don't get, we want to promote this wild west land grab, introduce tents, and then make them all but uncraftable for the first week or two of the land grab.

Now I know that all the new noobs get a "starter tent", but that is going to decay quickly. How quick is quickly?

I just dont see these two new things being coordinated, when it just seems to me like they should be. 

Edited by conmcb25

Sure if you are on an established server, and have easy access to mats, but it wont be done to any great extent on Xanadu before the connection is made.

Assuming I botanize enough to get a decent crop of cotton and wemp in, I may be able to make one in a week, maybe.

Thats the part I don't get, we want to promote this wild west land grab, introduce tents, and then make them all but uncraftable for the first week or two of the land grab.

Now I know that all the new noobs get a "starter tent", but that is going to decay quickly. How quick is quickly?

I just dont see these two new things being coordinated, when it just seems to me like they should be.

Pretty sure I read somewhere those new tents will last 4 weeks? (Take that with a grain of salt...I can be imagining things)

But yah, with a brand new server, I'd expect longer then a week. (Well, with friends prob be a lot easier)

Pretty sure I read somewhere those new tents will last 4 weeks? (Take that with a grain of salt...I can be imagining things)

But yah, with a brand new server, I'd expect longer then a week. (Well, with friends prob be a lot easier)

I should have said if we are using regular rope, not cordage. But with cordage rope, forget it, its going to take weeks. Or until the server opens, and then you wont have much of an advantage with a tent then will you? ;)

Why!?   why releasing more incomplete features ?!

You can hitch on test but since you can take the tent in your inventory with the horse on it, drop it far away and get your horse still hitchet next to it, i guess they are waiting to fix the hitched-at-a-tent code before adding the extra option. Meanwhile you get the tents to play with. THE HORROR.

Edited by Serpentarius

You can hitch on test but since you can take the tent in your inventory with the horse on it, drop it far away and get your horse still hitchet next to it, i guess they are waiting to fix the hitched-at-a-tent code before adding the extra option. Meanwhile you get the tents to play with. THE HORROR.

We get to play with a lot of incomplete stuff, but I rather play with finished and tested content, as if it was a real game with a real subscription and a real developers team, etc.

• Like 1

We get to play with a lot of incomplete stuff, but I rather play with finished and tested content, as if it was a real game with a real subscription and a real developers team, etc.

It was obviously tested and the feature put on hold because we didn't ended up having magicly teleporting hitched horses that can be move around with a 2kg tent in our inventory in game. I guess the tent is only half empty for you while it's half full already for me.

Im glad you are enjoying the kool aid.

I am glad you are getting angry over tents.

Edited by Serpentarius

kinda wish there was a positive feed back thread for tents.

1. "Fold up" tent so it completely fills a backpack. Can only fold up an unlocked and empty tent you own.

2. Uses a house door lock which can be removed by the owner. The permission system should be similar to large carts.

3. You can sleep in them and get sleep bonus. A tent can't be picked up or destroyed if a player is sleeping in it. Once the toons SB reaches max it stops sleeping in the tent.

4. If someone bashes your locked tent while your online you get a event message notice.

• Like 3

Meanwhile you get the tents to play with. THE HORROR.

And do what exactly? How exactly are you playing with a tent that:

• cannot have anything hitched to it and hence is useless for traveling, which allegedly its sole purpose

cannot be stored anywhere and is sore sight on a deed. Either two deployed tents on the deed, or crates on the ground if we store them in a wagon. At least the Pavilion is not working at all, and I only have two huge non-working tents ruining the view, not three.

is a 3.5 kg dead weight in your inventory

has been declared as "working!" in the announcement, without even a small one-line "oops, the announcement was a little premature, there is a small problem, wait a few more days" which would have stopped all speculations and worries

has no attached information at all as to how it is supposed to work

that in the end basically made one spend more than an hour making 26 cordage ropes for nothing. If that's what you meant by "playing", good job. Yeah, let's all join hands and say thanks.

BTW, another question:

• How many animals can we hitch to it? Say I went on a long trip with a large cart with two horses or bulls, or with my wagon with 4 horses or bulls. I have to log off for the night half way through my journey. What is safer, leave them hitched to the cart or wagon on a patch of grass or be able to hitch them to the tent? PvE server.

• Like 1

I should have said if we are using regular rope, not cordage. But with cordage rope, forget it, its going to take weeks. Or until the server opens, and then you wont have much of an advantage with a tent then will you? ;)

To get to cordage take a lot of bowstrings that take a lot of farming. I really do not see anyone on Xanadu foraging enough wemp to make cordage by the end of the first day whereas plain ropes they could.

Ahhh, if only there were a test server where you could easily build tents thanks to high skill and the ability to spawn items. How easy it would be to actually know how a new item works... :rolleyes:

BTW, another question:

• How many animals can we hitch to it? Say I went on a long trip with a large cart with two horses or bulls, or with my wagon with 4 horses or bulls. I have to log off for the night half way through my journey. What is safer, leave them hitched to the cart or wagon on a patch of grass or be able to hitch them to the tent? PvE server.

One. And only for the newbie tent (the fast decaying one that only the new players will get when the carrying-it-while-a-horse-is-hitched bug is fixed i guess). It's there to help new keep one extra animal safe from griefing until newbie can make large cart or have a deed or are done exploring.

eAK9gm4.jpg

So if you are using a player made tent, just go around in wagon/large cart and drop the tent while keeping the cart around. Also it's not rocket science: the tent works as a portable respawn point you can drop and respawn at after death and a chest and it's 90% of it's function.The fact that hitching isn't working yet on the newbie tent is sad but if you actually went to the test server from time to time you would have seen the bugs fix slowly being done. Pavillons (now with a model on test) are purely decorative tents without respawn/container functionality.

To get to cordage take a lot of bowstrings that take a lot of farming. I really do not see anyone on Xanadu foraging enough wemp to make cordage by the end of the first day whereas plain ropes they could.

You realize that new players there will get a free newbie tent and aren't expected to build the playermade ones during week one, right?

• Like 1