Sign in to follow this  
Issle

I got charged 12 euro by Elder Scrolls Online

without accepting a subscription plan when I opened my account with them. I am using paypal, did not select the recurring feature and yet today they charged me. Finally, I disabled the authorization that ( somehow without my ok ) was placed on my paypal account. 

Did anyone experience the same with Elder Scrolls Online while paying with paypal ?

Edited by Issle
  • Like 2

I think I heard that pre-authorization was part of the install agreement, buried in the fine print.  Regardless, it is shameful.

When you buy the game they add themselves to the list of allowed payment thingies on paypal.

I disabled it straight away. Really lame they do so, but every game seems to do that lately...

I think I heard that pre-authorization was part of the install agreement, buried in the fine print.  Regardless, it is shameful.

My point exactly. Very lame strategy of them to do. 

• Like 1

thanks for the info will kick them off

Paypal is very adamant with protecting buyers (personal experience).

Just file a complaint with them and ask for a refund. I had a similar experience with a payment I never authorized and they returned the payment in 3 days.

It also helps with their internal point system (every buyer/seller has a point system associated with the account, if you get too low you will be deemed as unsafe and the other people doing business with you will get a notification that the person/company they are trying to send money to has a history of misconduct - in worst cases they can even get their account suspended).

Germany sent them a cease-and-desist letter for false advertising because of this. I don't think anything resulted from it though. Sadly most Americans don't have the balls to stand up to greedy companies who do this sort of thing. I've complained a lot about ESO, it's a really mediocre, boring game, and they're using some really shady business practices to get all the sales/money they can. I think they know they made a shitty themepark game, and that it will die within a year, so they're desperate to turn a marginal profit now by any means possible.

I pretty much stopped caring about TES when I tried Oblivion the first time...

From that point on Bethesda just went downwards imho, now reaching the bottom with an MMO attempt.

Thanks for giving me even more reasons to be glad about my decision ;)

Edited by Nachtmahr

I pretty much stopped caring about TES when I tried Oblivion the first time...

From that point on Bethesda just went downwards imho, now reaching the bottom with an MMO attempt.

Thanks for giving me even more reasons to be glad about my decision ;)

This is just a difference of opinion, but to me Oblivion and Skyrim compared to ESO is like comparing diamonds and gold to cat poop. ESO is just abysmally bad. 

I just checked my email and got this from the ESO community forum. Apparently they are working in full cooperation with gold sellers now. Like I said, desperate for money.

ESO Community <community@elderscrollsonline.com>
7:37 AM (2 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

dhfjdhfjs sent you a message

http://www.ggatm.com'>Game Gold ATM is the most secure place to buy Elder Scrolls Gold.
  • Very low price

• Instant Delivery.

• This company has very good reputation, selling in-game currencies since 2005.

• 100% Handwork Guaranteed!

•   7/24 Customer Service!

http://www.ggatm.com'>WWW.GGATM.COM

Warm Regards, the GGATM Team

---
Follow the link below to check it out:
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/messages/17671#45415

Have a great day!

I just checked my email and got this from the ESO community forum. Apparently they are working in full cooperation with gold sellers now. Like I said, desperate for money.

Definitely not a legit email from ESO.

Also I did notice this charge, before you are even able to play the game, you needed to enter your billing info, and activate your one month free game time, once you did, you'll notice it will say "billing will re-occur on X date" on your account profile.

Luckily I saw it and canceled it very quickly. ;P

Definitely not a legit email from ESO.

Also I did notice this charge, before you are even able to play the game, you needed to enter your billing info, and activate your one month free game time, once you did, you'll notice it will say "billing will re-occur on X date" on your account profile.

Luckily I saw it and canceled it very quickly. ;P

Yeah looking at it now I see it's just a bot mailing my account on their forum, and them forwarding it to my email. Still, it's sad that I'm not even playing the game and am getting gold seller spam from it. I read on other forums they were pretty bad in-game too.

Edited by Jeixi

The sender address is trivial to fake. 

I never played this game (or any game from that company actually), but there is nothing shady in what you say.

First thing - the PayPal charge

It is clearly stated that only the first month is free and it asks your payment details so they can keep charging you after that.

On your profile page it says clearly ""billing will re-occur on x date".

PayPal sends you a mail informing you that they authorized the company to make scheduled payments.

You can cancel with just one click both from game profile or from PayPal site.

Is really noone's fault, but yours that you never bother to reading what's said during instalation / in game rules, but just click "next, next, next, play".

Second thing - E-mail

It is just a phishing attempt, it is not really coming from that e-mail address; it is just made look so.

Just activate your e-mail headers, use your brain and it will be pretty obvious is a fake.

Now I don't say is a good game, I have no idea if it is or not, but definitely not shady, and you should just learn to use your brain more instead of mindlessly hurry up to get in without even bothering to read rules, etc.

The sender address is trivial to fake. 

The sender address is legit, what happened though was a gold seller PMed my ESO forum account, and they just forwarded it straight to my email. I haven't posted on their forum since the beta, so I'm guessing the gold sellers can just pull up a list of users, and PM them all. The message was also sent to 47 other users apparently. There are a ton of threads about that on their forum also. I never bought the game, only played in beta. As for them putting people's subscription on auto-renew and charging them for the next month without them knowing, I knew they'd be doing that before release. Shitty games like that will do anything for money, and I wouldn't be surprised if they worked out a deal with the gold sellers. 

Yeah looking at it now I see it's just a bot mailing my account on their forum, and them forwarding it to my email. Still, it's sad that I'm not even playing the game and am getting gold seller spam from it. I read on other forums they were pretty bad in-game too.

Yep, not sure about now, but during pre-launch and launch they were all over. ALL OVER!

Luckily I didn't care, I removed my chat tabs and played the game solo-ish. It was actually very fun solo, but I did grow bored after a bit... :(

I never played this game (or any game from that company actually), but there is nothing shady in what you say.

First thing - the PayPal charge

It is clearly stated that only the first month is free and it asks your payment details so they can keep charging you after that.

On your profile page it says clearly ""billing will re-occur on x date".

PayPal sends you a mail informing you that they authorized the company to make scheduled payments.

You can cancel with just one click both from game profile or from PayPal site.

Is really noone's fault, but yours that you never bother to reading what's said during instalation / in game rules, but just click "next, next, next, play".

Now I don't say is a good game, I have no idea if it is or not, but definitely not shady, and you should just learn to use your brain more instead of mindlessly hurry up to get in without even bothering to read rules, etc.

If you haven't played the game, how do you know if it is using shady tactics or not? How do you know Paypal sent him an e-mail if you haven't played the game? How do you know what it says on his profile page? How many people immediately go check their profile page when they register for a new MMO? Also, rules mean nothing, nothing at all. The government of any country has more say about what is fair business practice than the suits at Zenimax Media do. You can put a No Smoking sign on the front door of your home, but if the president/king/dictator walks in smoking a cigar surrounded by bodyguards toting assault rifles, is that sign going to matter? The TOS for a game means squat when it comes to dealing with legal tender. Seriously. Lawyers and judges laugh at that crap. Especially in Europe where consumer rights outweigh corporate rights. 

Except Bethesda didn't develope this MMO.

Bethesda is owned by Zenimax Media, the same publisher who created Zenimax Online Studios. To let Bethesda off the hook now is to let Zenimax Media of the hook. I won't buy the new TES game even if it's plated in gold and only cost a dollar.

If you haven't played the game, how do you know if it is using shady tactics or not? How do you know Paypal sent him an e-mail if you haven't played the game? How do you know what it says on his profile page? How many people immediately go check their profile page when they register for a new MMO? Also, rules mean nothing, nothing at all. The government of any country has more say about what is fair business practice than the suits at Zenimax Media do. You can put a No Smoking sign on the front door of your home, but if the president/king/dictator walks in smoking a cigar surrounded by bodyguards toting assault rifles, is that sign going to matter? The TOS for a game means squat when it comes to dealing with legal tender. Seriously. Lawyers and judges laugh at that crap. Especially in Europe where consumer rights outweigh corporate rights.

To be fair, when you enter ESO, you have to put in the payment method, which will then put you on that account page, and right infront of you there will be a "billing will re-occur on x date" so it is far from shady.... It does put it in your face, but do I agree with it "automagically" signing me up after I give them my billing info just to play the game, to charge me monthly? Heck no.

Sadly, a lot of newer MMO's are starting to do this, and it's not just them. I'd rather them instead take my billing info and then putting me on a page "would you like to subscribe for X months?" Or "passing it up" until my times out, instead of it doing it for me,

To be fair, when you enter ESO, you have to put in the payment method, which will then put you on that account page, and right infront of you there will be a "billing will re-occur on x date" so it is far from shady.... It does put it in your face, but do I agree with it "automagically" signing me up after I give them my billing info just to play the game, to charge me monthly? Heck no.

Sadly, a lot of newer MMO's are starting to do this, and it's not just them. I'd rather them instead take my billing info and then putting me on a page "would you like to subscribe for X months?" Or "passing it up" until my times out, instead of it doing it for me,

All I know is they would have to pay me to play ESO, and I mean top-dollar, in cash.

I only used information presented by you or others on this thread. And no, that doesn't look shady at all.

The only thing I know (not saw here) is that PayPal is, by default, unless you instructed it not to, sends you e-mails every time when you make a payment or subscribe to a recurring payment; also they have a specific tab where you can see at any time all your recurring payments, the value and the next withdraw date.

And about rules, I found it common sense to check the rules. If I'm happy with them, I do stay / play that game; if not, I just vote against them with my wallet and move to a different venue / game. Not reading rules and then complain against them sounds like a spoiled brat. Just like when you buy a new electronic, is wise to actually read the instructions book, not just plug it and start pushing buttons.

Edited by Lovefall

This is why I'm glad that I'm not playing ESO, I'll stick with Guild Wars 2. No subscription and not f2p, but b2p. Best solution out there by far.