Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 20

Some interesting changes but seriously can you please answer the question - are Pristine & Release players going to be able to join Xanadu or not? A simple yes or no will suffice. It impacts currently game-play and plans a bit and it would be nice to know. What about how servers will be joined?

Thanks.

+1

Would be great a map and info about xanadu connection to the clusters.

I love the changes to the uniques! I'm not sure wether I will ever need a tent, But then I haven't setup a new deed in a while. Maybe i missed it, But can you actually sleep in those things?

Changing uniques and traders! One of the better updates as far as I'm concerned. Excellent job

Now you just have to give us reason to spend time on the ocean fishing.

Another week without nothing interesting or useful.

Wurm is disappointing me lately a lot.

The only ones who do not want dragons are those who are making their living selling armor.  Please don't pretend you care about how many chain and plate sets may never be crafted with so many dragon sets.  The real issue is your monopoly on the money, isn't it?  

I have never seen a dragon, and I don't want them near Epic.

If you really believe that I have a penned dragon and I'm making money out of it for not wanting them, you are wrong.

Cloth squares aren't really that bad but cordage ropes without decent skill and a high quality rope tool are really annoying. I dont see why this was done this way. Sure the n00bs will have a n00bie tent but that decays rather quickly. It just baffles me why this direction was taken on the eve of a big land rush on the largest Wurm server ever and the only people who will be there the first couple of weeks are n00bs. Thats the time when all manner of tents would be massively usefull and no one will be able to craft them.

Sorry but it just doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

No matter how I try to explain what ** I THINK ** is the reason why Rolf made the Tents the way he did, I will still end up being called a turd or told to shut up by some Players, so I will share what popped in my head as soon as I heard the component list... and live with the hate that may happen.

The Tents require cordage ropes to make them which I believe is to keep F2P Players from using these tents as a home instead of buying deeds, as Rolf desires those Players to do. Rolf doesn't mind if Premium Players make tents and sell them to F2P, since the F2P will have to get their coin from somewhere (Wurm store) in order to pay for them.... so Premiums making tents and selling them ain't an issue with Rolf (I think it is not).

But if F2P that have lost their starter tent were to begin making tents fairly easily then those Players may be less inclined to buy deeds and buy coin form the Wurm store. Not good for Wurm's profits.

Of course there is absolutely nothing stopping Premium Players from giving Tents away to others or trading Tents to F2P Player in exchange for work or what ever.... or even just providing Players who can't make Cordage well with ... Cordage. This may turn out OK in the long run.

This is what I think is the reason, my best guess, it makes sense in a Wurm kind of way. I do not claim to know for certain if this IS why it was done this way, just my guess.

Tents, Timberframe Walls, and Dragons, oh my!

Great  update, Thank you :)

Edited by Kyrmius

Yes but it ain't a Nomad's life like some are seeking. There are ways for them to get Tents if they need seeing how we can make them.

When changes are made to traders please make sure that you offer refunds for them as if Xanadu is not linked to the 'Freedom cluster' economy and a large portion of players head there it might dramatically effect payouts and ruin some peoples investment. You might say it's a video game you take the risk etc but people invested in them after it was mentioned numerous times there wasn't going to be any changes and they were working as intended.

Ofcourse if you put silver into traders very recently after the 'no change on existing servers' post your silly but many people put in before that.

Other than that I think it's pretty bad that people on Pristine and Release still don't know if they will be connected to the Freedom cluster or not; so they don't know if they can even participate in Xanadu launch.

Edited by Gavin

Great update.  Everything in this update is worth while.  +11111111111111111

The only thing I don't like about this update is all the people crying over uniques.  Please get over it already.  More people want them than those that do not.  That has been a fact for a long time now, so let it rest please and stop complaining.

The only ones who do not want dragons are those who are making their living selling armor.  Please don't pretend you care about how many chain and plate sets may never be crafted with so many dragon sets.  The real issue is your monopoly on the money, isn't it?  

Your conspiracy theory is silly.

Why would anyone want the only armor to be drake/scale, there is already too little variety in armor choices.

(Also when are the missions that have been broken since epic opened, valrei system, sorcery abilities etc be fixed.)

Edited by Kagrenac

Please fix animal Ai or at least disable disease until it is fixed.

No matter how I try to explain what ** I THINK ** is the reason why Rolf made the Tents the way he did, I will still end up being called a turd or told to shut up by some Players, so I will share what popped in my head as soon as I heard the component list... and live with the hate that may happen.

The Tents require cordage ropes to make them which I believe is to keep F2P Players from using these tents as a home instead of buying deeds, as Rolf desires those Players to do. Rolf doesn't mind if Premium Players make tents and sell them to F2P, since the F2P will have to get their coin from somewhere (Wurm store) in order to pay for them.... so Premiums making tents and selling them ain't an issue with Rolf (I think it is not).

But if F2P that have lost their starter tent were to begin making tents fairly easily then those Players may be less inclined to buy deeds and buy coin form the Wurm store. Not good for Wurm's profits.

Of course there is absolutely nothing stopping Premium Players from giving Tents away to others or trading Tents to F2P Player in exchange for work or what ever.... or even just providing Players who can't make Cordage well with ... Cordage. This may turn out OK in the long run.

This is what I think is the reason, my best guess, it makes sense in a Wurm kind of way. I do not claim to know for certain if this IS why it was done this way, just my guess.

Tents, Timberframe Walls, and Dragons, oh my!

Great  update, Thank you :)

This is all well and good on an established server. But what about the early days of Xanadu? I hope the n00bie tent doesn't disappear overnight. Because Id be willing to bet a LOT of silver, the servers aren't going to open up after a week........................................................................

• Like 1

The last red dragon I had bought me a living room set including couch, love seat, end tables an coffee table. Thank wurmonline.com!

Why crabs before sheep?

I hope you truly are making uniques roam because you should know someone will have this map hacked the first day, every single map in wurm history has been hacked.... Thoughts on that?

Edited by Youngsoldier

this is all good news.

They also :ph34r: patch the pool system.

A test poll is available on Release :)

So expect a vote soon for merge.

Um... so you're going to not only respawn dragons on all servers... but going to keep respawning them periodically on Xanadu?

Fantastic, I hope to god Xanadu is permanently on it's own cluster... let the fools there have infinite drake that's cheaper then chainmail.  I don't need it here.

Everything else, great work!

Chain fences not available as an option on building borders to make balconies with their great visibility, was so hoping this would be available.

Chain fences also block movement so you cant walk up to edges to get that real vertigo feeling looking down (you get stopped at about a half metre distance before fence), hope their "width" can be tweaked down a bit as it seems to defeat the purpose of them not blocking view.

Don't get me wrong, I love them, but this would make them so much better :)

Okay so this is the bit about uniques that worries me.

Can you please verify if you'll be adding more dragons to the game, thus rendering any other armor useless because who would use chain and plate over scale/drake?

I REALLY hope new dragons arent spawned on the current servers, thats what? 6 sets of drakes, so 18 drakes which is like 400-500 odd drake sets, and roughly 100 new scale sets. I cant even fathom the drama. It'd be cool to see the other uniques spawn, but NOT dragons no matter how much drake they drop.

Okay Lets break this down.

Currently there are 5,174 players with Wurm Online according to this link.

Of which there will likely be at least 500 drake sets currently in circulation having been spawned throughout the years (likely more due to re-spawns and hatching attempts) so we can likely put the figure at over 1,000 drake sets and 200 scale sets circulating Wurm Online after this.

Currently a drake set fetches approximately 70-130E dependent upon quality and will likely drop to <40E once the number of sets available doubles from this update.

Thats a HUGE dent in so many pockets (500 existing sets devalue from ~100E to ~50E = 25,000E loss between players)

In theory that means that 1 in 5 people will have a "rare" and "unique" item of drake which just seems so incredibly diluted. The situation is bad on chaos where I would presume 90% of people either own and or use a drake set in Wurm Online and I simply want to say "enough is enough, stop pumping this stuff into Wurm".

TLDR: You likely just lost part of 25,000E unless you find and kill a dragon.

TLDR 2: Don't get started on traders.

Hoping my math isn't wrong, but its a good indication

Edited by Fooligun
  • Like 2

Respawning dragons on Epic probably would be unwise.  

edit: yes i know youre going to use this quote

Edited by Postes

Um... so you're going to not only respawn dragons on all servers... but going to keep respawning them periodically on Xanadu?

Fantastic, I hope to god Xanadu is permanently on it's own cluster... let the fools there have infinite drake that's cheaper then chainmail.  I don't need it here.

Everything else, great work!

All uniques will be respawned peridoically on all servers... 

Epic doesn't exist.. we're like District 13 from the Hunger Games.

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 3

Great update. Everything in this update is worth while. +11111111111111111

The only thing I don't like about this update is all the people crying over uniques. Please get over it already. More people want them than those that do not. That has been a fact for a long time now, so let it rest please and stop complaining.

Except the whining over uniques has a valid reason. Drakes and scales are worth good money and are not all that common. Influx of materials into the world means more supply/ less demand. It hurts the economy. And if dragons regularly spawn, say goodbye to the value of dragon armory as every one will have them. If everyone has them, then no one will wear plate or chain or leather. Respawning uniques will cripple many players market and source of income.

I've rarely been worked up over an update or a suggested update, but the idea of infinite uniques seriously infuriates me.

Edited by Umbranik